Thinking about a USP 45, maybe an HK45

This is a discussion on Thinking about a USP 45, maybe an HK45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have tried most common makes of handguns. Through a trade, I will find myself the proud new owner of an HK P30LS on Friday. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Thinking about a USP 45, maybe an HK45

Thinking about a USP 45, maybe an HK45

I have tried most common makes of handguns. Through a trade, I will find myself the proud new owner of an HK P30LS on Friday. This will be my first HK. Have heard mixed reviews on the P30. Lots of folks find the ergos to be the end all. They say it is a whale of a gun. Others, two of whom have opinions that I damn sure listen to, have said that the gun is less than stellar. Either way, we'll see this weekend.

But I find that I crave a USP 45. It looks like a dandy. Smooth lines, built like an Abrams. 12+1 of 45 ACP sounds pretty good, and accuracy is reputed to be awesome.

The HK45 seems to combine the best of both worlds. P30 ergos and 45 ACP. While I sure don't mind 9mm (I have four of the darn things) I do prefer 45 ACP.

Or maybe I'll just get both. Hope they come with a complimentary divorce lawyer.
    bgusty and C hawk Glock like this.

2. Remove Ads

They're both solid. My only gripe with the P30 and HK45 are the mediocre triggers. That's not a performance issue, just a "that could be better at that price" gripe. Everything else is gold.
    Currently own: Beretta PX4 9mm, Glock 23 (Gen 4), Glock 19 (Gen 4) x2

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Or maybe I'll just get both. Hope they come with a complimentary divorce lawyer.
    If you do get both, you're gonna need one.

Nice choices, IMO. I wouldn't kick a decent HK .45ACP out of the stable, whatever the model.

BTW, if the triggers aren't to your liking, give Bill Springfield or Bruce Gray @ GrayGuns a jingle. Either one of them will set you straight, on an H&K.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Picked the usp tactical over the hk45 because 12 vs 10 rounds and the match trigger. Not sure if the hk45t has raised sights from the factory though if you care.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Any H&K is a good choice. I've owned the USP9, USP45, and the Tactical. Loved them all, just didn't love them as much as the next Walther I'd find. I do love H&K products though and will be getting another soon. My -ex still owns her USP9 I bought her back in '98.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Solid gun...

I've had the stainless USP 45 below for about 12 years. It is an excellent gun that has never failed to function for me. It is built like a tank and all the components are thicker and stronger than you would expect. The gun would be my first choice in an open carry situation, and it is lighter weight than its dimensions would indicate because of the polymer frame.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I have tried most common makes of handguns. Through a trade, I will find myself the proud new owner of an HK P30LS on Friday. This will be my first HK. Have heard mixed reviews on the P30. Lots of folks find the ergos to be the end all. They say it is a whale of a gun. Others, two of whom have opinions that I damn sure listen to, have said that the gun is less than stellar. Either way, we'll see this weekend.

But I find that I crave a USP 45. It looks like a dandy. Smooth lines, built like an Abrams. 12+1 of 45 ACP sounds pretty good, and accuracy is reputed to be awesome.

The HK45 seems to combine the best of both worlds. P30 ergos and 45 ACP. While I sure don't mind 9mm (I have four of the darn things) I do prefer 45 ACP.

I am pretty curious to hear what you think about the P30L. I have shot both the USP .45 and HK45 extensively, they are both good guns. The USP is rock solid in my opinion, but is a bit clunky and shows it's age from a design stand point. I would feel very comfortable going to war with this though.... The HK45 is pretty similar to the P30 and you know my opinion of it. Never seen a malfunction in all three models.

All I can say is that I am waiting for the day that Walther makes a PPQ .45
    stukinNY likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I love my P30S, really want to get the P30LS eventually, too. I have four HKs, pretty much my favorite maker.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Own a USP tactical, HK 45 Tactical & carry a HK 45 compact. The 45 is a much easier carry gun over the usp, being slimmer. Of course you lose 2 rounds in the fullsize. The usp compact & hk45 compact both carry 8. I own hks, glocks & sigs. Love them all. All bring something different to the table. The HKs are the most overengineered, overbuilt gun I've handled. They are built like tanks, and shoot fantastic. If the trigger is an issue for you, send it off to one of the aforementioned shops or try a lem conversion. This is the route I took, going light lem on all my HKs. Makes a great platform, in my eyes, unbeatable.

USP tactical ....nice pistol

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I am pretty curious to hear what you think about the P30L. I have shot both the USP .45 and HK45 extensively, they are both good guns. The USP is rock solid in my opinion, but is a bit clunky and shows it's age from a design stand point. I would feel very comfortable going to war with this though.... The HK45 is pretty similar to the P30 and you know my opinion of it. Never seen a malfunction in all three models.

All I can say is that I am waiting for the day that Walther makes a PPQ .45
    Don't hold your breath.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    You can't have mine.

I hesitate to call any gun my favorite gun, but my HK USP-C .45 is the gun I carry the most. The only time I don't is when I'm pocket carrying or trying to dress up a little and carry something small, and then it's the PM9.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I have never owned an HK because I can find guns equally awesome at half the price, but the P30 has always been a looker to me. I dont think you can go wrong with either one honestly. Let us know how it works out and post some pictures too !
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I would strongly recommend searching the used market for a good HK. I bought mine used, paying about half of the best retail price I could find, and although it's older -- about 14 years old now -- it's still a great gun. I have a Glock, a Springfield Armory, couple Rugers, several Smiths, and I would put the quality of the HK up there as one of the best. The guns are worth it, they're worth hunting for.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wunderneun View Post
    Don't hold your breath.
    You just never know! They have been kind of aggressive lately and kicking out designs and additions. I was saying the same thing after I bought a Gen 4 G34 and saw Walther came out with the 5 inch PPQ! LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links