Really like the trigger in the new M&Ps

This is a discussion on Really like the trigger in the new M&Ps within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently picked up a new M&P 40c. I really like what they have done with the trigger. I have an older M&P 9c and ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By The Haig
  • 1 Post By TahoeDust
  • 1 Post By synx

Thread: Really like the trigger in the new M&Ps

I recently picked up a new M&P 40c. I really like what they have done with the trigger. I have an older M&P 9c and my one and only complaint with the gun is that I never liked the trigger. The new triggers on the M&Ps have a much smoother pull and you can definitely feel the trigger reset. I've taken it to the range twice and each trip I put 200 rounds through it. With the short and easy to feel reset my follow up shots are much quicker and more accurate. Now all I need to do is put night sights on it and run a few boxes of defense ammo through it and I'm sure it will become one of my carry guns. Awesome job Smith & Wesson!
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.

Yeah. It is a considerable improvement.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Can they be retro-fitted, do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Can they be retro-fitted, do you know?
    The updated parts are the trigger bar and the slide lock. Once those pieces make their way to distributors like Brownells or Midway the retrofit should be easy.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Apex DCAEK
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm - Apex DCAEK

I never disliked the older trigger, but the new one is indeed better for carry in my opinon. My 2012 9c has the older trigger, which is very short and light, but with a very long reset. My 2013 9c has the new trigger, which is long with a weightless takeup, but heavy break and probably the shortest reset I've ever experienced. You literally can't short-stroke the new trigger.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Got a friend who recently purchased a M&P 40c and the trigger on it feels much better than the trigger on my M&P VTAC. A definite improvement!
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Glad S&W fixed the trigger,it only took 4+ years

Is there a way to tell if it has the new trigger without physically checking? For example serial number or manufacture date? I ask because I'm looking at a private sale m&p 9 and this would be nice to know.

Quote Originally Posted by knight65 View Post
    Is there a way to tell if it has the new trigger without physically checking? For example serial number or manufacture date? I ask because I'm looking at a private sale m&p 9 and this would be nice to know.
    The easiest way would be to get him to take a picture of the frame with the slide off.

If you see the third slide stop, it's current production and has all of the changes that have been implemented; 1:10 barrel, new sear, new trigger assembly, reinforced slide stop. If you see the second slide stop, that one has the loud reset, but it may or may not have the new trigger/sear, and the slide stop may break easily (hence the new reinforced weld patch on the current production slide stops).

If you see the first slide stop, that is a Gen 1 and doesn't have any of the changes implemented.
    knight65 likes this.

Thanks synx! The photo comparison is excellent! I'll be using it to inspect the gun before I purchase. Much appreciated!

Links