which kimber

This is a discussion on which kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to buy a kimber in the 3 to 4 inch barrel, which model? I am a big guy so I am looking for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: which kimber

which kimber

Looking to buy a kimber in the 3 to 4 inch barrel, which model? I am a big guy so I am looking for a good mix of carry comfort, hand comfort(bigger hands) and accuracy. I have a colt 1911 full size and love the way 1911s feel . So many choices. I am a lefty so I need the ambi safety.

2. Remove Ads

I have a Compact and Custom, bobtailed CDP. Whats are you looking for? Steel or alloy frame? Full size or officers grip? I carry my full size OWB most of the time. When I need more concealment I opt or the 4 inch IWB. I'm not a fan of 3 inch 1911's due to reliability and more improtantly lost bullet velocity. The 4 inch is easy enough for me to conceal and i'm a small guy.
    WHEC724 likes this.

VIP Member
    Get the Colt

j/k (kind of) Get the 4". It'll likely be more reliable and that extra 1" on the barrel is a negligible difference on carry comfort. The grip is what will print.

Maybe now be thinking about GetSmith's questions.

I like colts but I have one already. Yes I am leaning towards a 4" I need a full grip. HD or aluminum frame? I want to eventually pass on my gun collection as my father did to me, so quality and reliability are important, and an increase or hold of value would also be nice.

Distinguished Member
    Why the desire to get a smaller barrel at all? The grip is the part that prints. The only real advantage would be weight reduction while giving up velocity and some reliability.

Yes I am looking for some weight reduction but mostly concealed comfort.

Personally I would stick with Colt. I like my kimbers and have not had one malfuntion with about 1000 rounds through each. The reason I went with Kimber is that I am limited to CA approved guns and Kimber has many guns on the list. Im in the process of switching out much of the MIM and refinsihing them with ROBAR NP3. This will do NOTHING for resale value but like you Im planning to pass these down to my kids one day (hopefully we still have a 2nd ammendment for them to exercise). Kimber makes great slides and frames, You have to decided how you feel about MIM.

Steel VS alloy for a carry gun, Alloy it is. I have shot my all steel TRP next to the Alloy CDP and the difference in recoil was minimal. There is a very noticeable difference with weight between the two. Consider that you will be carrying this gun for tens of thousands of hours and wieght is a condiseration. I a self defense situation with an adrenaline dump you would not notice the difference is recoil between steel or alloy.

Bobtailing the grip makes a HUGE difference for me. Easier to conceal and much easier to set in chairs without the gun hitting it.

If I could have bought any Kimber I wanted it would have been 4-5 inch alloy frame stock with round butt and Crimson trace grips. They have plenty to choose from. Try your best to get the gun set up as you like because aftermarket modifications add little value and are costly.
    mkrieg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Why the desire to get a smaller barrel at all? The grip is the part that prints. The only real advantage would be weight reduction while giving up velocity and some reliability.
    I cant carry a 5 inch IWB. Thats a nice option and comfortable for me with a 4 inch.

Nothing, for me, shorter than a 4" slide on a 1911 variant. I don't like the required dual-captured (Seecamp) recoil spring configuration. Yeah, I know, I know, "I have a flawless yada-yada micro 1911..." yet my personal position remains.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I have a few 5" steel framed Kimbers and one 3" alloy frame. On occasions I would carrry a Colt Commander, but, the 3" Kimber seems more comfortable when sitting. It works out well when driving for extended periods of time. This is probably due to my middle age build.It is also comfortable while I am riding a motorcycle. One thing about Kimbers, they all punch tight little groups, even the 3" models. Just dump of the factory magazines....
    Attached Images
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

I bought a Pro CDP about a month or so ago and I am very satisfied. I carry it OWB at about 4:00 in a DM Bullard Bodyguard holster and it is very comfortable. The only complaint I have is the cut-out on the grips for the MSH pin pokes me in the back every now and then but that can easily be alleviated by changing positions or changing the grips.

Kimber CDP Pro

I would second the recommendation for the Kimber CDP Pro model with 4 inch barrel. I have owned one of these for about 8 years and it has performed perfectly for me. I have carried it OWB on the belt and it conceals easily. I especially like the "melted" slide with all sharp edges rounded off.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by mkrieg View Post
    I like colts but I have one already. Yes I am leaning towards a 4" I need a full grip. HD or aluminum frame? I want to eventually pass on my gun collection as my father did to me, so quality and reliability are important, and an increase or hold of value would also be nice.
    Super Carry Ultra +
    3" barrel that has been shown to be very reliable in the last two years. Full sized grip that prints very minimally with the bobbed end.

image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarshe View Post
    Super Carry Ultra +
    3" barrel that has been shown to be very reliable in the last two years. Full sized grip that prints very minimally with the bobbed end.
    DaGunny likes this.

I love my ultra carry, best shooter I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    kahrcarrier likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links