Glock 26/19/17

Glock 26/19/17

This is a discussion on Glock 26/19/17 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few months ago I purchase a 17 to accompany my 26 and 19. At that time I made a post about shooting my 26 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zonker1986

Thread: Glock 26/19/17

Glock 26/19/17

A few months ago I purchase a 17 to accompany my 26 and 19. At that time I made a post about shooting my 26 better than my 17. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/thr...ter-than-my-17 A little update. I have now spent time with the 17 and I shoot it better than either of my other Glocks and as well as anything including my K frame S&W. I have all three guns set up similar except sights. Each gun has a Ghost connector and the 17 has Glock NS, the 26 Warren Tactical, and the 19 XS. I initially installed the Warren sights on the 19 because I see where it should be the best of both worlds. I have run 5x5x5 drills as well as shooting at 8 1/2"x 11 paper with a CD painted on them for a target from 3-25+yards. I find where the 17 really shines is at the further distances. I attribute this to sight radius. I can however keep all shots on the paper and for the most part in the CD with the 26 as well. The 19 remains the step child. I have tried for years and while I find the XS sights fast and great for what they are I like to shoot even a J frame out to 25.I simply dont shoot it as well and this bugs me. I have tried shooting the 19 with the Warren sights and I do shoot it better but not better than the 26. I have considered getting a set of Glock NS for the 19. I would try the ones on my 17 but they appear to be pinned and I dont want to damage them. I have have considered trading my 19 for another 17 and chopping the grip. This would give me the sight radius and forward weight of the 17 while giving me the shorter grip of the 19 for AIWB as well as IWB carry. I carry the 17 often and the 26 the remainder of the time. I would carry the 17 more if the grip were shorter hence the idea of the chop. I like the 26 and am confident with it. I simply find that when I draw it from concealment the longer grip of the 19/17 really shine. I really simply enjoy the journey.

I'd add a set of Trijicons to your Glock 19 and see if that helps. I really find very little difference in the way I shoot by G17, G19 or G26. One of the reasons many shoot the G26
    better is due to the dual recoil springs the subcompact Glocks have had since they were introduced in 1994. I don't think the additional 1/4 inch barrel on the G17 gives you that much
    great sight radius over the G19 to make a difference. If you really think the G19 is not your cup of tea, you might trade it in for a G34.....now that is truly a long distance Glock.
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member
    Can't help with what to do but I'm jealous - it's a goal of mine to own all 3 - the 26, 19 and 17. I tend to agree that the little bit more barrel doesn't help that much, might just be the 19 grip doesn't work in/with your hand well.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

With the Glocks, it all comes down to the grip and the individual. This is one of the reasons Glock finally came out with interchangeable back straps. Even though the grip angle on the pistols is basically the same from the large frame to the sub-compact, it's your anatomy and hold on the pistol. I've been through plenty of Glocks, and I know what you're describing. The compact Glocks tend to shoot lower for me. The full size or sub compacts do fine. I've never been a real fan of the stock sights on any Glock. I shoot better with aftermarket sights on my Glocks. Forward weight and sight radius? How important is that in reality, especially in the 9mm? The only Glock I couldn't seem to work with after a few years of trying was a G30 because it was too muzzle heavy for me even though one might think that a good thing to have in 45ACP.
    Now, we talking range time, punching holes in paper, competition, or daily carry? Obviously what you shoot well with on paper would be a good choice for carry. Then you'll also need to feel comfortable carrying it.
    Now, if the grip were shorter on your G17, would you still carry it with a G17 magazine, or would you shorten the grip to accommodate a G19 magazine? The magazine does fit into the grip, so shortening the grip for CC would also mean shortening the magazine to my thinking.
    Glock 19 is the stepchild? Although you might want to stick with Glock for certain reasons, there's no sin in finding something that works better for you in this role. Drawing from concealment and grip purchase? IMO......find a better holster that will allow you to do what you need to effectively draw.

I have owned each of the 3 over the past 10 years. I have never owned all 3 at the same time. I find it interesting and find each one makes me shoot the others better. I am certainly gonna try different sights before I jump ship. I find it odd Jdavisark mentions shooting lower with the 19 that is it. If I do chop the 17 I will carry with 19 mags and use a 17 as a backup which is what I do currently no matter which of the 3 I am carrying. As for other platforms Im fairly commited to Glock if for no other reason I am so heavily invested in mags, holsters etc. I have shot the others and find Im satisfied with Glock and honestly shoot all 3 of them well enough to carry. I just like to squeeze a little more. Grip purchase I guess its the only downside for me on a 26.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I'd add a set of Trijicons to your Glock 19 and see if that helps. I really find very little difference in the way I shoot by G17, G19 or G26. One of the reasons many shoot the G26
    better is due to the dual recoil springs the subcompact Glocks have had since they were introduced in 1994. I don't think the additional 1/4 inch barrel on the G17 gives you that much
    great sight radius over the G19 to make a difference. If you really think the G19 is not your cup of tea, you might trade it in for a G34.....now that is truly a long distance Glock.
    I did trade my 19 for a 34 and kept the 17. For shooting at the range the 34 is super great. The 17 is now my "backup gun" - sort of a semi safe queen in case the 34 needs parts that hubby doesn't already have on hand. For carry I rely on my 26 which is fantastically accurate at any SF distance to 25 yards. I do not have a lot of strength in my hands and couldn't shoot the 26 at all if I didn't use the Pearce grip extensions on my mags. With a place for my pinky finger my grip is strong enough to give me real gun control.

Amazon.com: Pearce Grips Gun Fits GLOCK Model 26/27/33/39 Grip Extension: Sports & Outdoors

All my Glocks have Trijicon sites. None are generation 4.

However - to each his or her own!!!!
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Links