My one and only 1911 is growing on me, slowly.

This is a discussion on My one and only 1911 is growing on me, slowly. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought this SIG C3 in January on impulse. I liked how it felt, so did my wife. She especially liked that it was a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My one and only 1911 is growing on me, slowly.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

I bought this SIG C3 in January on impulse.

I liked how it felt, so did my wife. She especially liked that it was a bigger version of her P238 and she could rack the slide on it. I almost dropped my teeth when she suggested we get it, but I of course agreed, and we did. Since then I've put about 250 rounds through it, factory ammo, defense ammo, and a lot of reloads doing load development for the 230g Speer Gold Dot bullets I was able to buy. The pistol has been flawless the whole time. Not one single issue. I keep it pristinely clean between range trips, and adequately but not lavishly greased, but it hasn't had a glitch of any kind.

It remembered, as I was packing my range bag for the trip to the Range last Tuesday, that the pistol had performed flawlessly. It's not my most accurate .45, but it is way more than minute of COM accurate. So I decided to take it along with me to the range in addition to my Glock 19, Glock 26, and Glock 30. It happens that I can carry the C3 in the CBST I bought for the Glocks. Not a perfect fit, and I do have a CBST that was made for the C3, but I didn't want to bother with a second holster at the range so I left it home and did my practice with the C3 using the holster I usually carry my Glocks in.

I had a heck of a good time with the C3 at the range. Standing at a measured 21' from the IDPA target, I would draw, flip off the safety, extend and fire one shot to COM. Reset the safety, re-holster, do it again. I did that for five each seven round magazine loads. Only two of the shots strayed into the -1 zone of the IDPA target. The rest were all in the COM circle. I was just going for smooth, not speed. Working on form since this was the first time to be doing this with it. The pistol was very pleasant to shoot. My 71 year old hands had no problem with the grips or the trigger.

So I tweaked the CT laser grip (which it came with) to match the sights and gave that a try. I held the gun at waist level, put the laser dot in the middle of the COM circle and squeezed off a round. Hole was right there. Seven shots, rather tight little seven shot group all in COM.

I did just as well with the Glocks, none of which have a laser on them. The 19 and 26 I fired double taps. The 30 I fired single shots.

But I really 'enjoyed' shooting the C3. So, in honor of that pleasant experience I carried it Wednesday and this morning at 3:00 under my sweatshirt until it got too warm to wear a sweat shirt. Then I put it in the carry gun safe, slid the holster around to 4:30, and stuck in the G26 which is much easier to hide under an un-tucked polo shirt than the Officer's grip length of the C3.

I think the C3 will get an appreciable amount of carry time this fall and winter. I'll still carry the Glock 19 a lot during sweatshirt season, but the C3 has earned it's place on my hip at least some of the time.

I also carry a P238 in my pocket, and since I began that a couple of years ago, I swipe at the safety that isn't there with my thumb when I draw my Glocks. It doesn't slow me down at all, and hopefully insures I won't forget the safety on the C3 or P238.

Fitch
    blitzburgh, Aceoky and ccman like this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I'm happy to hear that you're happy with the C3. I've had mine for 2 years as my EDC. I've put over 1500 rounds thru it and the only problem I had with it was when I spilled some beer on it and didn't clean up after. The trigger reset got sticky hahaha. cleaned it and no problems after that. The battery on the lazer went dead pretty quick though. Since I don't like lasers I treated myself to another set of grips.
    I carry under a baggy 't' or an 'aloha' shirt down here and it disappears.
    Fitch likes this.

I really like those CT grips. They happened to come on the used RIA I bought. That's a beautiful gun you got there!
    Fitch and Aceoky like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I ended up replacing them with these Pearce grips, but still put the CT's on from time to time when I feel like working with the laser.

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I had a sig c3. Then the wife shot it WELL, Now I'm back with my kimber custom 1911. C3's are nice guns!

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I ended up replacing them with these Pearce grips, but still put the CT's on from time to time when I feel like working with the laser.

Nice looking grips. Did you have to replace the bushings (?) the grip screws thread into?

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Nice 1911 OP. A CT laser is on my wishlist. Wait till you've bought your second 1911 then you'll know you're around the bend. But not to worry you'll be in good company then.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    I had a sig c3. Then the wife shot it WELL, Now I'm back with my kimber custom 1911. C3's are nice guns!
    Cool? Maybe? :)

My wife hasn't shot mine ... yet. Maybe I should avoid that. <laughing> As if I could ever say, "No," when she asks to shoot one of my guns.

She's very proprietary about her P238. She told me to buy my own if I liked hers so much. I did. We'd just end up with two C3's if she liked mind. I can't make myself like a 1911 with a barrel shorter than the Commander length of the C3, or a grip longer than the Officer's model. and I know I wouldn't pack a full size on my 71 year old 5'-8" 160 lb. body - too big and too heavy - the C3 is pushing it for weight. So I'd just have to get another C3. Not that I'd object to that, mind.

Fitch

Nope. They just slapped right on, same screws used.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Nope. They just slapped right on, same screws used.
    Thanks. That's good to know.

Fitch

That's a great looking firearm...Sig 1911's are great shooters...smooooooooooth trigger pull...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Interesting. Didn't know Sig made a 1911.
    It isn’t the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Fitch,

Since the Sig has an external extractor you never want to palm the shell when unloading, nor do you want to pull back on the slide with your finger on the extractor. Hold the rear slide with thumb and fore finger, such that you do not touch the extractor, pull back and let the unspent shell fall to the ground, preferably carpet or grass, a soft surface. If you try to palm the shell you will probably prevent the extractor from functioning correctly, possibly jamming the primer under the ejector - kaboom - mangled hand. The same can happen to any 1911 - if the palm covers the ejection port the bullet can bounce off while unloading and the primer can hit the ejector causing a ND. Much better to tip it so that the ejection port faces downward, and while pointing in a safe downward direction, pull the slide safely back and let the bullet fall out naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Fitch,

Since the Sig has an external extractor you never want to palm the shell when unloading, nor do you want to pull back on the slide with your finger on the extractor. Hold the rear slide with thumb and fore finger, such that you do not touch the extractor, pull back and let the unspent shell fall to the ground, preferably carpet or grass, a soft surface. If you try to palm the shell you will probably prevent the extractor from functioning correctly, possibly jamming the primer under the ejector - kaboom - mangled hand. The same can happen to any 1911 - if the palm covers the ejection port the bullet can bounce off while unloading and the primer can hit the ejector causing a ND. Much better to tip it so that the ejection port faces downward, and while pointing in a safe downward direction, pull the slide safely back and let the bullet fall out naturally.
    Thanks. That gives me something to think about.

I'd not heard that before. After clearing the weapon like I usually do, which means ejecting the round onto the bed, I loaded it with five dummy rounds to experiment.

I tried ejecting the round with out touching the extractor but it's almost impossible for my old hands unless I wear gloves. Skin is too fragile. I did try just grabbing the slide with my usual overhand grip and giving it a rack to eject the round like I usually do; it flies right out of there. I racked all 5 dummy rounds out of it one right after the other my usual way. What I normally do doesn't block the port at all.

Fitch

When you use your overhand grip to eject you won't want the palm over the ejection port. S&W Shield - Disassembly, Cleaning, Reassembly and Function Check - YouTube @2:28 to 2:56. It applies to all pistols, not just 1911s and pistols with external extractors.

What I normally do doesn't block the port at all.
    Good to know.

I know that the external extractor gives ammo to those who don't like them, but I figured I'd mention it anyway. Me, I prefer external extractors, having had one since my Star M45 and Browning High Power. It never presented a problem. But some just don't trust them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links