Colt Junior vs Astra Cub

This is a discussion on Colt Junior vs Astra Cub within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are there any tremendous differences between these two? They've caught my eye and I'm thinking about picking one up for fun/collectors sake....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Colt Junior vs Astra Cub

Colt Junior vs Astra Cub

Are there any tremendous differences between these two? They've caught my eye and I'm thinking about picking one up for fun/collectors sake.

2. Remove Ads

The brand roll markings are the sole differences in the two. Well, that and the fact that the Astra Cub could also be had in .22 Short. Astra produced the Junior for Colt. GCA '68 did-in imported small automatics.

I had a .22 Short Astra Cub on hand for some years before trading it away in some forgotten deal. I've regretted it since as it was truly a fun toy for an afternoon's entertainment in the cabin yard at our old place.

Of the Spanish makes of bygone years I always liked the Astra guns best. They seemed well-made, dependable, and serviceable for most purposes one needs a handgun. Over the years, I've shot quite a few different Astra models spanning most of the 20th century and have owned several. Still have one early 1920s .25 automatic Astra. My brother-in-law has a 6-inch blued Astra .44 Magnum revolver that gives up nothing to any other double-action .44 Magnum revolver that has been produced. Nice action, finish almost as good as a classic Smith & Wesson Model 29 and durable over the long haul. He's had it for over 25 years now.

It's a shame Taurus made it and Astra didn't. The Astra is the better product in my view.
    grouse likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links