Picking up mp40c, thoughts

This is a discussion on Picking up mp40c, thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am picking up an MP40c here soon and would like thoughts on that firearm as a choice for CCW/Home Defense. Iv only owned one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Picking up mp40c, thoughts

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

Picking up mp40c, thoughts

I am picking up an MP40c here soon and would like thoughts on that firearm as a choice for CCW/Home Defense. Iv only owned one other MP, it was a 9c and I honestly did not keep it long enough to give it a chance, I really hated the trigger on it. I would have went with my favorite caliber, the 357sig but it appears unavailable in the MP line currently and with the ammo shortage we had recently, only two calibers were readily available locally and that was 40sw and 357sig.
    Thanks for your time.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

It's a carbon copy of the 9c. With the 40 you can convert to 357 sig. The trigger may be better if it has the new trigger group. I have a 9c and like it a lot. I did put apex trigger parts in it.

GH
    I think you'll find a much improved trigger on your new M&P40C. I have a well worn M&P40 full size that so police service. It's about 4 years old & the trigger isn't too bad. About a month ago I picked up my new M&P40C & right out of the box
    I noticed a difference. My compact was manufactured on 7 July 2013 with the same test date. I noticed just a little grittiness but that went away with use very soon & I expect it to even get better. Since I carry my M&Ps for defense the trigger of both pistols are sufficient. For someone going into competition shooting there's always an Apex kit to really tune your trigger into perfection. Or you can get many of the trigger componenets polished by either yourself or a gunsmith.

I'm not saying the trigger is perfect but it's every bit as good or better than the Glock 21 & 23 that I gave to my son after I retired from armed security & before WI had a concealed carry law.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

My FS M&P40 cracks as beautifully as anything I've ever shot :)
    Hopefully your carry does also!

Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to bringing it home
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I think you are going to be really happy with the improvements in the trigger. My Shield came with the new trigger parts and it was much better than my MP9's was in stock form.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Apex DCAEK
    S&W M&P Shield 9mm - Apex DCAEK

The M&P40C is a great carry / HD gun. Slap an apex trigger in it and it is an amazing little shooting machine, I personally have a ruger SR40C which is the same size, but my shooting partner carries and M&P40C and it really is a great little gun. Accurate, easy shooting and easy to conceal.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I nearly got the Shield but was not sure if the trigger was the same as in the regular MP and the sales guy was no help, but I don't think I will regret it.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

I love my 40c!!

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    I nearly got the Shield but was not sure if the trigger was the same as in the regular MP and the sales guy was no help, but I don't think I will regret it.
    The Shield's trigger is like a hybrid of the old and new triggers. It has the short travel of the old trigger, and the proper audible reset of the new trigger. The old trigger has a weird two stage reset where the trigger bumps forward, but isn't actually reset; and then after coming forward a bit more you get a tiny click which is the actual reset.

My son has the M$P 40C but added the 9mm Storm Lake Barrel so he can have both calibers. He now mostly carries the 9mm for less recoil.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

VIP Member
    Just got back from the range this morning and the MP40c is great i felt this was and is a perfect pick for me . And lots of holes in the target . You will like this firearm plain and simple
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I like my 9c. Isn't the 40c the same? I know storm lake makes barrels but I thought you could just swap in a factory barrel and magazine, no? No desire to add 40 S&W to my collection so I haven't tried it.

Posting from my phone, I blame all typos on Swype.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktice View Post
    I like my 9c. Isn't the 40c the same? I know storm lake makes barrels but I thought you could just swap in a factory barrel and magazine, no? No desire to add 40 S&W to my collection so I haven't tried it.

Posting from my phone, I blame all typos on Swype.

^^^^^^^Be careful^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In that you cannot convert an original 9mm pistol to .40S&W/.357sig/,45ACP

only the other way around.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Yes, S&W no longer makes the .357sig in the compact version in the M&P lineup, only FS.

I originally wanted .357sig compact in 2009, but the ammo was rare as hens teeth.
    Bought a 9mm M&Pc instead.
    Came across a member here who had a compact for sale and I bought it. Sold 9mm to daughters BF.
    He's happy I'm happy.

Bought a Sig Pro(SP) 2340 in .357sig and am really impressed with that as well.
    Hard to pick my favorite between the two.
    Have a .40 barrel that came with the M&P.
    Like the .357 cal better.
    I also bought plenty of .357sig ammo from the guy who sold me the M&P, as well as a bunch of ammo in .40 from a friend of his.

Nephew has FS M&P .40 and loves it.
    His brother has the M&P compact .40 and likes it.
    My brother has the 9mmc and loves it, as well as 6 other people who either have the .40 or 9mm and love them.

You will love your new addition.
    It is like children.
    You think, when you have one child, how can I possibly love anyone as much as I love this new addition to the family.
    Then you have another, and somehow, their is plenty of love to go around.
    brocktice likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links