642 revolver problem-advice?

This is a discussion on 642 revolver problem-advice? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've pocket carried a 642 for years and am very fond of the little wheelgun. I've recently started carrying it owb and have an all ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Camjr

Thread: 642 revolver problem-advice?

I've pocket carried a 642 for years and am very fond of the little wheelgun. I've recently started carrying it owb and have an all new appreciation for it.

I have a new problem that's never popped up before. After a recent range session, the cylinder release is sticking and difficult to operate. Specifically, the release "button" slides as it should, but the cylinder sticks in the frame. It appears the spring loaded shaft that runs through the ejector and cylinder isn't being pushed far enough forward when I work the release "button" to easily release the cylinder from the frame. It's not inoperable, but very difficult to get the cylinder to release from the frame. The spring loaded shaft that runs through the cylinder also seems to be scratching the aluminum frame a little more than usual.

I know there are some S&W wheelgun gurus out there and I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on it. I will be pulling the side plate and cylinder off today and cleaning/lubing everything well, but am hoping for a little sage advice from the group. Anything specific I should be looking for?

Cheers...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Make sure your Extractor rod is tight,it tightens counter clockwise,it being even slightly loose can cause difficulties opening the cylinder.
    Another thing to check is,with the cylinder open press on the locking bolt to be sure it moves freely,I have a model 60 that came from the factory with a defective locking bolt spring.The tail of the spring would get jammed between the locking bolt and barrel lug tying up the cylinder.If this is the problem you should be able to diagnose it easily.
    I doubt anything under the side plate is causing the problem.

Open your cylinder, push the ejector rod and check for dirt or carbon under the ejector star not allowing it to seat properly. Also make sure your ejector rod is not bent.

Roadrash-you win 2 internetz today!! The extractor rod was a little loose, thus causing my problem. I guess some of the thumpers I was running through it at my last range session loosened it. First time I've seen that in over a thousand rounds. It's back tight, and swinging free.

Cheers!!
    BugDude likes this.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Cool,
    You might want to clean the threads and put a tiny drop of blue Loctite on them,then retighten the rod .

Sponsored Links