Is a 22 Mag a realistic CC weapon?

This is a discussion on Is a 22 Mag a realistic CC weapon? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am just in the process of obtaining my advanced CCW in the State of Idaho. I have the usual assortment of HG's (9mm, 357, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Is a 22 Mag a realistic CC weapon?

Is a 22 Mag a realistic CC weapon?

I am just in the process of obtaining my advanced CCW in the State of Idaho.
    I have the usual assortment of HG's (9mm, 357, 380) in my group of weapons to use and am still trying to get a feel for what would be best. I recently bought a Beretta Nano specifically for carrying but I also have a few 22 Mag's in my safe. Specifically a Black Widow in 22 Mag and was wondering what the concensus was for 22 Mag as a CCW. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The general thought is that a 22 is less than ideal as a ccw weapon. While 22s have been responsible for many deaths over the years it generally takes time for the person to bleed out and doesn't come from a catastrophic injury thatbwould immediately end an attack. That said, I would take a 22 over a sharp stick and day of the week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk 2
    Mdauben, CeltKnight and Aceoky like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

In general use its not necessarily ideal but is better than a sharp stick. Its not a "man stopper" by any means. However, in certain circumstances it is the ticket. for example, when ultra discreet carry in a minimal package is required, or for the older persons who may not be able to handle anyhting larger than 22 mag due to physical limitations. Simply put, it has its uses just like everything else. While it may not be the best weapon out there, if given the choice between it and a handful of rocks... well... I think it is obvious. Also, the Black widow makes a great little BUG for carry in the pocket.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Assuming you can find a load that delivers ballistics similar to those from a rifle-length barrel, and your gun is reliable with rimfire ammunition and your shots are well placed, you might be onto something here. The 5.8 x 28 seems to have some decent SD numbers behind it...you just have to approximate it's performance with the the .22 WMR. I still keep an eye out for the elusive Kel Tec PMR...rare as hen's teeth, but interesting nonetheless.

A rimfire cartridge is typically not as reliable as a centerfire. Granted, with today's technology that margin is growing closer.

VIP Member
    gun_bushido and Aceoky like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Orders of magnitude better than a fist. But unless you have a severe medical condition that affects your extremities, I cannot think of a compelling reason to choose a .22 Magnum over, say, a .380.
    Mdauben and Rhcmlc like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I think so. I look at it a lot like my iPhone camera. I have my smart phone with me hundred percent of the time. I don't have my DSLR with me nearly as much. The best one is the one that is always with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

As others have said, it sure beats nothing (or a sharp stick). If it's a caliber you shoot well, can handle, and will be with you 100% of the time it's legal to be, then hell yes it's ideal in my book.
    jenatron likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I must admit that I am a not a mousegun fan, that being said a .22 mag is step above the other mousegun calibers. In your case I would be more concerned with the single action mini-revolver. If one insists on a .22 mag I would use one of the "j" frame models ie. S&W, Ruger LCR, or even Taurus. Based on what I have seen in autopsies they can be effective. I know of at least (2) shootings where a .22 mag handgun resulted in one shot stops (DRT). FWIW, you can now get .22 mag Gold Dots. Time will tell, but I have a feeling that these will perform well in a handgun. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

For me PEF sums it up. Why!! You live in Idaho would you rather drive a doge 2500 four wheel drive or a prius during the winter when all the tire tracks are wider than the prius and the center snow is packed and higher than the belly pan of the prius. Sure you can drive it but why if you own a 4x4 truck? Why a 22 when you have said you own some pretty respectable self defense guns.

Good Luck
    Rhcmlc likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Orders of magnitude better than a fist. But unless you have a severe medical condition that affects your extremities, I cannot think of a compelling reason to choose a .22 Magnum over, say, a .380.
    Not compelling, but maybe revolver v pistol. You can find (at a high price) a .22 M revolver that holds 8. I don't think there
    are revolvers in .380 (maybe I'm wrong). So for someone who wants a revolver but doesn't want to go with
    a 38 sp, 22 M could make a lot of sense.

P.S. I don't like the cute little NA SAO 5 shot 22 Magnums (or similar), but they certainly have their place in a line up of possibilities for deep concealment. Also, at the belly distances these are likely to be used you might be just as well off with
    a knife--- see previous discussion about switch blades in TX-- OH NEVER MIND!!!! I'm just an old
    oneshot likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I took my little NAA 22mag to the range today. It's like sticking your hand out and setting off a bomb. It even cut my thumb somehow. After I found out how it shoots/aims it's pretty good accuracy wise, paper plate accurate at 25ft anyway.
    NRA Life Member
    Ruger SP101 in .357, Glock 22,
    S&W 637-2 .38spl, Bersa Thunder .380,
    NAA .22Mag, Winchester Defender 12g 3" mag.
    Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r, Sears .22LR bolt action.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elker View Post
    I am just in the process of obtaining my advanced CCW in the State of Idaho.
    I have the usual assortment of HG's (9mm, 357, 380) in my group of weapons to use and am still trying to get a feel for what would be best. I recently bought a Beretta Nano specifically for carrying but I also have a few 22 Mag's in my safe. Specifically a Black Widow in 22 Mag and was wondering what the concensus was for 22 Mag as a CCW. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for your input.
    Well, a well placed .22 mag round would certainly be better than your fist. To that end, I think the .22 mag offers those with weaker hands the ability to handle a defensive weapon with at least some real chance of doing critical damage to an attacker. JMHO.
    Hopyard likes this.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    The general thought is that a 22 is less than ideal as a ccw weapon. While 22s have been responsible for many deaths over the years it generally takes time for the person to bleed out and doesn't come from a catastrophic injury thatbwould immediately end an attack. That said, I would take a 22 over a sharp stick and day of the week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk 2

^^^^^What he said^^^^

Last ditch effort.
    If its what you have at your disposal right now right away.
    OR as a backup to a more formal SD round, 9mm on up, although .380 is gaining in popularity with the better SD rounds in the last several years.
    OMRSO
    (only my ridiculously silly opinion)
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links