LC9, NAA 22Mag, G22 range day

This is a discussion on LC9, NAA 22Mag, G22 range day within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally made it to the gun range since breaking my arm back in June. I've been back to work for 3 weeks now so ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Easy8
  • 3 Post By QKShooter

Thread: LC9, NAA 22Mag, G22 range day

LC9, NAA 22Mag, G22 range day

I finally made it to the gun range since breaking my arm back in June. I've been back to work for 3 weeks now so I thought that was plenty of time to get healed up.
    outdoor-range.jpg

I put up some paper plates to shoot at and shot the NAA 22mag first. I didn't even get it on the plate. I had to put a plate on the closest target (10ft I think) and shoot at that until I hit it, changing how I aimed each shot. I finally saw that the target has to be covered with the full front blade or the gun shoots low. This one was the most unpleasent out of the group. It's hard to hold and I didn't have any ear plugs so it was brutal on the ears. 5 hours later and my ears still have that high pitched wine going on. The gun also cut the end of my thumb somehow... maybe the trigger did that.
    1and2-target.jpg

Up next was the LC9. I shot it at 25ft and it was fairly accurate. I mean I only ran maybe 50 rounds through it and was still trying to find the best way to stroke the trigger. I hit the plate every time and most shots eventually stayed in a 5 or 6 inch group. I'll get better with it in time. I did have one occurance of a surprise firing when I held it too loose and with the muzzle flip and me retightning my grip it made up enough difference that the trigger was at the break point and the gun shot up into the air. It was like boom BOOM! I made a note not to do that again. Anyway, I shot slow/aimed, aimed/fast, and rested/aimed, and there were no mechanical malfunctions.
    closeup-plates.jpg

Last was the Glock 22. This one felt like a cadillac after the other two. Even being .40cal it was less recoil and butter smoothness. The groups were probably the best of the bunch and was easier to keep on target. It was even less painfull on my uncovered ears. No malfunctions here either. You can see all the groups in the targets pictured above.

This is the view where I fired from:
    frombench-2nd-target.jpg

After shooting I went fishing.
    Last edited by Randy1960; September 28th, 2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: add
    NRA Life Member
    Ruger SP101 in .357, Glock 22,
    S&W 637-2 .38spl, Bersa Thunder .380,
    NAA .22Mag, Winchester Defender 12g 3" mag.
    Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r, Sears .22LR bolt action.

2. Remove Ads

Great day .Hope all is well with the arm.

Get some ears brother
    CeltKnight likes this.

Administrator
    5 hours later and my ears still have that high pitched whine going on.

Any time your ears are ringing or you are experiencing the "high pitched whine" (as you have called it) you are causing permanent, cumulative, hearing damage which usually results in constant Tinnitus which there is no cure for and "trust me" you do not want that.

Good thread otherwise but, invest in some good ears.
    The day that high pitched whine never goes away is the day you'll wish that you bought quality ear protection.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Double Tap on the ears. As was wisely stated above, whenever you hear that whine, permanent damage HAS occurred. Too bad you had to lose 'some' of your hearing.
    Also, watch that trigger control. In real life, there is never an excuse for a ND and legally, an 'accidental discharge' does not exist.
    Just some pointers from a 50+ year shooter.
    Maybe get a range bag for all your necessities and possibles so you will have e/thing together when you go shooting. I use polycarbonate glasses/sunglasses from the Dollar Store for shooting. The green tint works best for me indoors (learned that trick in competition shooting in LE). I only pay $1. each for 'em.

Thanks for the range report, interesting. Glad you had a Great day!

Shooting and fishing in the same day my wife wouldnt let me leave the house for a month after that. But seriously a range bag is a good idea to keep everything together. Also in the last pic i noticed your glock with a mag inserted facing towards you was that intentional?

That's just where I laid it at the time. I was getting my stuff up to leave and took one last pic and just stuck an empty mag back in it since it's not the current carry gun it stays unloaded.

Thanks for the comments everyone. The whineing noise is gone now but I can move a certain way and get a distant sounding "electronic telephone ring" in my right ear. I'm hopeing that clears up soon too.
    NRA Life Member
    Ruger SP101 in .357, Glock 22,
    S&W 637-2 .38spl, Bersa Thunder .380,
    NAA .22Mag, Winchester Defender 12g 3" mag.
    Mosin Nagant 7.62x54r, Sears .22LR bolt action.

Links