So I've been wanting a Gen 4 Glock 19....

This is a discussion on So I've been wanting a Gen 4 Glock 19.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been wanting a Gen 4 Glock 19 for awhile. I also really like the Glocks with colored frames like the old OD ones and ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By sparkykb
  • 1 Post By nontechguy
  • 1 Post By miller_man
  • 1 Post By sparkykb

Thread: So I've been wanting a Gen 4 Glock 19....

I've been wanting a Gen 4 Glock 19 for awhile. I also really like the Glocks with colored frames like the old OD ones and the newer ones in Flat Dark Earth but they can be hard to find sometimes....you just have to jump on them when a production run first gets released and the last run of them is pretty much gone...if you're wanting a fair price at least. With all that being said, I pretty much just figured I'd have to get a regular black Gen 4 since they aren't too hard to find.

Well, the other day I went to visit my wife at work, stopped in to the pawn shop next door as I was leaving. I immediately noticed a FDE Gen 4 Glock 19 sitting there in the case! Included 3 mags as it should and had 4 backstraps. 2 regular and two beavertail. It was marked "used" but as far as I could tell (and according to the previous owner) it appeared to be unfired. No wear on the barrel or barrel hood. Still had the factory copper grease in it and no carbon in the usual nooks and crannies (which would have been easier to spot on the lighter colored frame).

Apparently the guy bought it and then traded it in on something else a couple of months later as he has done multiple times at the same store. Guess he can't make up his mind and doesn't mind losing money on trade in

Well, I looked at it. Paced around the store. Looked at it some more. Figured I was being impulsive and should just walk away, especially since I can get new Gen 4 Blue Label Glocks for a bit cheaper. Blue labels only come in black though. Eventually I just kinda grumbled and walked out.

Went to work the next day and just couldn't stop thinking about it. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted it! Gen 4? Check. FDE colored? Check. Beavertail to eliminate the slide bite I sometimes get with my Gen 3 Glock 19? Check. Problem was that it had already been one day since I saw it and I couldn't get back to the store till the next day around noon. I was SURE it would be gone!

The next day, after sitting through my haircut appointment (and my wifes), we hurried back over the the store. It was there still. I couldn't resist anymore.

It followed me home!

I'm planning to install a set of Ameriglo I-Dot Pro sights with lime green front outline that I have at home and adding a Vickers mag release in FDE to match the frame color. That's about it for now.

Haven't got to shoot it yet but am looking forward to it. I plan on making this my new EDC and possibly chopping my old Gen 3 to take Glock 26 mags and stippling the grip. Haven't decided yet...

Sorry for the long and mostly pointless thread. I just had some time on my hands and thought I'd tell a little story about me stumbling across the EXACT blaster I was wanting completely by accident!

I guess the moral of this story is......go visit your wife at work for lunch sometime!
    nechaev, StormRhydr, Remy and 3 others like this.

HO-HUM. So you bought another Glock.
    GlockHawk17 likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Nice 19 ! I like the beaver tail backstrap..did not know that was offered as an OEM option. Good Luck with it !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I've been strongly thinking about asking for one for Christmas - been doing some window shopping. Let us know how you like shooting it.

Have you tried it in your holster? Just wondering if the Beavertail digs into your side.

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    Congrats! Uh, making a post of getting a new firearm is NOT pointless - plus you did it right and included a nice big picture.

My gen 4 19 has been perfect, I too put a set of ameriglo I dots on it - love em - hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Haven't made up my mind on if I want any colored glocks yet, but yours sure does look great, nice purchase.
    sparkykb likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Handsome looking piece! Good find!

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Congrats on the new 19. You will like the Ameriglo's as well.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Thanks for the compliments!

I forgot to mention swapping the trigger bar for one with a smooth faced trigger in my list of upcoming modifications. I do that with all my Glocks. I hate the serrated trigger with a passion. I've also already done my "anti-Glock knuckle" treatment to underside of the trigger guard and worn the finish silver in a couple of places from doing so many practice draws.

With the bottom of the trigger guard smoothed out this sucker locks into my hands perfectly. Just like my Gen 3 but better....better grip texture (without needing stippled) and a beavertail. I'd recommend smoothing out the trigger guard to anyone who owns a Glock 19 or 26 and gets a red irritated spot on their knuckle. The full sized guns don't seem need it as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Have you tried it in your holster? Just wondering if the Beavertail digs into your side.
    Remy,

I've not noticed the beavertail digging at all while holstered. It is nicely rounded on both sides. As far as I can tell, there are no downsides to it if you require a beavertail due to slide bite. It does feel slightly different in my hand when compared to my Gen 3 but not enough to matter.

I am pretty sure the beavertails will fit older Gen 4's that did not ship with them but they will not have the extra little "tab" to lock the beavertail into the rear of the frame behind the slide. They would be held in place on older Gen 4's by the pin only like the regular non-beavertail backstraps. I do believe the beavertail "tab" on newer Gen 4's was just for added security, not a necessity for beavertail use.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    I too put a set of ameriglo I dots on it - love em - hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
    I hope I like them too! I'm pretty sure I will. I have Big Dots on my Gen 3 and have pretty much "outgrown" them. They were fast for sure at close range but once you have the draw and presentation down it is kind of a moot point. I wanted something fast but still able to be precise and figured the I-Dots were the best of both worlds. It was hard choosing between the lime green and orange though. In the end I chose lime green as it seems to be more visible in low light and my eyes were used to finding the light colored outline of the Big Dots. I guess only time will tell if I made the right call. They were supposed to be for my G26 anyways! lol.

Ooh, I dig the color. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkykb View Post
    Remy,

I've not noticed the beavertail digging at all while holstered. It is nicely rounded on both sides. As far as I can tell, there are no downsides to it if you require a beavertail due to slide bite. It does feel slightly different in my hand when compared to my Gen 3 but not enough to matter.

I am pretty sure the beavertails will fit older Gen 4's that did not ship with them but they will not have the extra little "tab" to lock the beavertail into the rear of the frame behind the slide. They would be held in place on older Gen 4's by the pin only like the regular non-beavertail backstraps. I do believe the beavertail "tab" on newer Gen 4's was just for added security, not a necessity for beavertail use.
    Sounds good! I too like a high grip and have been bitten by the slide just enough to be annoying.

Got to shoot the FDE Glock for the first time the other day. Put 150 rounds through it. 100 rounds of 115 grain Winchester White Box first, then 50 rounds of 124 grain +P Remington NATO. During my function test outing I used 3 G19 mags I already had in circulation along with a G17 mag and an extended G17 mag (11 coil spring and factory +2 extension).

The pistol ran fine. No stoppages of any kind. All the brass except 1 piece ejected a few feet out to the 3-4 o'clock. 1 piece of Remington NATO hit my eye protection. I'll have to put some more rounds through it to see if that was a fluke, but I'm not too worried about it.

My father in law was shooting his Gen 3 G19 (made in the last couple of years) right next to me. His was throwing brass over his head, into his face, forward, over the pistol to the left, and some just barely clearing the ejection port. Compared to that, mine seems good....for the time being at least. If any pattern of "brass to face" issues crop up in the next few hundred rounds I'll upgrade to the APEX extractor and non-LCI spring loaded bearing. I also think I know what I'm gonna get my father in law for Christmas.

Oh, and the beavertail worked as I expected it would. No cut in the web of my hand from the slide! Awesome!

Can't wait to get a few hundred more rounds through this thing, add a few parts, and start using it as my EDC!
    Remy likes this.

Strangely enough, when I bought my G26, the FDE was *all* the LGS had in stock. I wasn't specifically looking for one, but that's what I ended up getting!
    Every day without a negligent discharge is a good day.

VIP Member
    Congrats!

Still looking for an FDE....

Great Handgun the Glock19! I will never part from mine.

Sponsored Links