Pocket 9mm?

This is a discussion on Pocket 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a true pocket carry gun. Have a Ruger SR9c currently. I am a jeans guy so gun size is critical. Would prefer a ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Pocket 9mm?

Pocket 9mm?

Looking for a true pocket carry gun. Have a Ruger SR9c currently. I am a jeans guy so gun size is critical.
    Would prefer a 9mm but will probably have to go with a 380 like the LCP unless I can find a 9mm that will fit in regular jeans pockets. Of course needs to be a proven gun. Going to go look at a Sig P290RS as spec wise it seems to meet the size needed for pocket carry. Any others you would recommend me looking at? Wish Ruger made a shorter smaller version of the LC9. Really like the feel and narrow grip.
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I have a 290rs but I'm still running rounds through it when I have about 250 through it
    I'll carry it but not in my pocket.
    I pocket carry my LCR when I wear cargo shorts or the 686+[ good belt-lol]

If you are adamant about a semi auto, the LC9 seems about as good as it gets. I do not know the size of the shield and the xds, or if the 9mm version is even available yet. That being said, my recommendation is a J frame revolver. Much easier to pocket carry and can function in a pocket with reliability.

Sorry if that doesn't help, I am only on my second cup of joe
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Sponsor
    Rohrbaugh R-9
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

The Sig P938 will fit in most pockets.

Diamond back DB 9 its about the size of the LCP maybe smaller. I know they had problems when they first came out but haven't seen many bad reviews as of late. I however have never owned one so I cant speak for the gun except the reviews ive read. But its worth a look in any case.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by RockingGlock32 View Post
    Diamond back DB 9 its about the size of the LCP maybe smaller. I know they had problems when they first came out but haven't seen many bad reviews as of late. I however have never owned one so I cant speak for the gun except the reviews ive read. But its worth a look in any case.
    We stopped selling them at the shop, too many bring backs with issues. They may have corrected the issues they had as you suggest, but I'd not trust them myself.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

By J Frame do you mean revolvers like the S&W Bodyguard in .38 and the Ruger LCR series?
    Sorry kind of late to the pistol / revolver world at age 60. ;)

VIP Member
    Welcome from NW Louisiana.

For several years I pocket carried a LCP, it disappears in most any pocket.....suit pants to cargo pants. Recently I decided to up a caliber to 9mm. I chose a Kimber Solo, only a bit bigger/heavier than the LCP, but noticeably so. I used to be a jean's guy, not so much anymore. At my age the looser fitting cargo pants are much cooler and more comfortable to work in. Depending on the cut, brand, size, and tightness of the jeans, they can be a deal-breaker for what you'd like to do. However it may be doable?

Good luck.
    Texron likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Although I usually carry a .40 Glock IWB for EDC. I have an LC9 which easily fits regular Wrangler jean pockets in a DeSantis pocket holster. It does not however draw as easily. When at home, I prefer to pocket carry an S&W J frame 1 7/8" .38 spec +P in a DeSantis pocket holster and find the draw as fast as my IWB Glock.
    U.S. Navy vet
    "...got a shotgun, a rifle and a .45........"

I carry an LC9 in a jeans pocket. It is a little big but with a pocket holster no one seems to be able to tell what it is. Looks like a cell phone I guess. I planned to carry an LCP but I like 9mm a lot more and my hands are too big for an LCP.

Pocket 9mm?

Since the dunderheads at springfield are still twiddling their thumbs on what to do with my XDs I am looking too. After testing a bunch and shoving them in and out of my pocket at gun shops I am going for the Nano. Small, thin 9 rounds and if you dare is +p rated. Really light for what it is as well.

Go Seahawks!

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I regularly carry my Kel Tec PF-9 in the right front pocket of my Carhart and Dickies carpenter pants that I normally wear. It disappears and is comfortable! I use an Allen inside the pocket holster. I wanted to get the LC-9 but couldn't get past the magazine disconnect & manual safety. The Kahr is very nice as well but more $$. Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

OP. I would recommend a S&W j frame, but that is all I have experience with. I carry the 442 model and love it. It is the easiest gun I have ever carried, and I did carry an LC9 for a while. I love it, and plenty of other, more knowledgeable people pointed me in that direction. They were right
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

my pocket carry 9mm's that work. Keltec PF-9 and Kahr CM9. All the others are just too big for pocket carry. PF-9 weighs 12oz and CM9 14 oz unloaded.....anything heavier and you'll need suspenders to keep your pants up.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links