The gremlins have united against me.... second gun on its way for repair

This is a discussion on The gremlins have united against me.... second gun on its way for repair within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So i went shooting sat, and my beloved Ruger SR40C apparently was unhappy with me and felt it necessary to act up. When firing, the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: The gremlins have united against me.... second gun on its way for repair

Angry The gremlins have united against me.... second gun on its way for repair

So i went shooting sat, and my beloved Ruger SR40C apparently was unhappy with me and felt it necessary to act up. When firing, the slide locks back after the last round is fired as it should... however, when a fresh mag is inserted, the slide releases as soon as it is in the gun, chambering a round, but not resetting the trigger. This happened with every mag change over the course of an hour. I called ruger and they said that was not good, so shipping labels have been emailed to me and it will go out thursday first thing.

First my Shield cracks a slide, and now this? I am down to one gun and I dont like it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The slide going forward wouldn't concern me (my Glock will do that with a hard insertion) but the trigger not resetting is a definite concern. Glad Ruger is making it good.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Looks like Ruger CS is a step or two above S&W.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    So i went shooting sat, and my beloved Ruger SR40C apparently was unhappy with me and felt it necessary to act up. When firing, the slide locks back after the last round is fired as it should... however, when a fresh mag is inserted, the slide releases as soon as it is in the gun, chambering a round, but not resetting the trigger. This happened with every mag change over the course of an hour. I called ruger and they said that was not good, so shipping labels have been emailed to me and it will go out thursday first thing.

First my Shield cracks a slide, and now this? I am down to one gun and I dont like it.
    Hopefully your 'one gun' isn't an XDs.

I've had 3 guns recalled, two that needed to have factory defects fixed, and one that would have been recalled if I still owned it. That's a total of six.

The Ruger LCP was recalled. The S&W manufactured Walther PPK/S was recalled. The most recent is my XDs. I had two others that needed factory defects fixed: A Ruger Single Six Stainless Hunter that needed a new barrel and two new cylinders, and a Taurus PT1911 that needed a new barrel. Had I kept it, my Shield would have been in the latest recall.

That's a remarkably large percentage of the handguns I've owned.

When I was growing up, my dad had quite a few guns. The only one that broke was the war surplus 1911. He wore out his Colt .22 Police Positive and sent it to Colt to be reconditioned. I wore out my Colt New Frontier .22 single action and had to send it in for reconditioning. But that was it. Back then, guns just worked. Now, not so much.

Fitch
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra5.7 View Post
    Looks like Ruger CS is a step or two above S&W.
    I wouldn't say that. Had to send my LEO trade-in 3rd gen in on my nickel as I wasn't the original owner, but the repairs were No Charge.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I wouldn't say that. Had to send my LEO trade-in 3rd gen in on my nickel as I wasn't the original owner, but the repairs were No Charge.
    I wouold, I have had to call SW CS three times and STILL dont have shipping labels....... I got the labels from ruger 20 min after i called them.... 1 week vs. 20 min.... ill let you decide
    10thmtn and Tundra5.7 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Sorry to hear that. Hope your last gun isn't a Hi-point!
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

3 is 2
    2 is 1
    1 is 0

Never heard of 3 is 1.

Hope you get back on board quickly!
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Taurahe, send those gremlins to me. We deep fry them here.
    Aceoky likes this.

They make these things called 'Revolvers'.
    pittypat21 and gun_bushido like this.

VIP Member
    I've been waiting for someone to say this - and I guess I have to be the one:

"Have you considered buying a Glock?"
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

You been drinking with Rollo or something?

Yup, I heard Glock finally has all of the Gen 4 issues ironed out, and got their shoddy MIM extractor and striker problems taken care of.

Whoops, spoke too soon.

Cheap shots aside, new Gen 3 and 4s have an awful lot of problems related to cohen-esque cost cutting measures. A quick trip over to Glock Talk will show you plenty of horror stories about current manufacture Glocks. They just aren't the guns they were churning out 10 years ago, despite what rabid Glockfans would have you believe.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by synx View Post
    Cheap shots aside, new Gen 3 and 4s have an awful lot of problems related to cohen-esque cost cutting measures. A quick trip over to Glock Talk will show you plenty of horror stories about current manufacture Glocks. They just aren't the guns they were churning out 10 years ago, despite what rabid Glockfans would have you believe.
    SORRY - I keep forgetting that just because all of our Glocks are older models, the new ones have been subject to the cost cutting crap that other brands have suffered from. Next time I'll let someone else promote the new ones - if they want to.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by synx View Post
    Yup, I heard Glock finally has all of the Gen 4 issues ironed out, and got their shoddy MIM extractor and striker problems taken care of.

Whoops, spoke too soon.

I know this is getting off topic but I have been happy with my Gen 4's. They have performed just like my earlier models thus far. I know there have been reports of Glock malfunctions but I have to wonder what the percentage is? What is the percentage compared to S&W, Sig, Beretta or others?

Back to the OP. I hope it works out for you and S&W fixes the Shield. I had something similar happen to me with a duty pistol from Beretta several years back. The slide developed a crack during initial qualification at the range. Fortunately I noticed it before it cracked completely across. I had a new Beretta pistol in my hands before the end of the week.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links