7.65 PPK Walther Questions

This is a discussion on 7.65 PPK Walther Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at what is supposedly a 1939 Walther in 7.65mm. I have always loved the lines of the PPK as a classic police carry ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kilowatt3

Thread: 7.65 PPK Walther Questions

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"

7.65 PPK Walther Questions

I'm looking at what is supposedly a 1939 Walther in 7.65mm. I have always loved the lines of the PPK as a classic police carry pistol, and this one might be a deal, but I have a few questions not knowing a whole lot about Walthers.

Is the German 7.65mm the exact same thing as Browning and .32 ACP, or is it slightly different?

Should there be a non-Eagle PPK in 1939? Weren't all civilian firearms illegal in Germany at the time? Should this wear a Wehrmacht or Nazi mark if a '39? Were they still exporting them? Could this be a non-military export (no marks)?

Thanks in advance!
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

The 7.65×17mm Browning SR, 7.65mm Browning, and .32 ACP are all the same cartridge.

Dunno about the non-eagle version in 1939. Best bet would be to research the serial number to determine the date of manufacture.

I'd sure like to get one of those!
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    IMG_07022[1].jpgA 1940 PPK may have a "Crown" or a "Crown over letter" instead of an "Eagle" or "Eagle over letter"
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Until April of 1940 all proof marks were as oldskeetshooter wrote, the Crown over N. Firearms were not illegal in Germany unless you were a Jew. You needed special permits to own and carry a pistol. Not many were issued. If you were a Party member, member of the SS, or well-connected it was much easier to obtain a permit. Not so much for the average German citizen.

I can determine about when your pistol was made based on serial number if you care to PM me or post photos of your pistol. I would much rather see the photos.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Thank you. That is the info I was looking for, and from that I think the pistol is right and checks out. It's crown over N. If I can buy it right I'm pulling the trigger on it.

PM sent Wunderneun.

Are those older, brown grips wood or plastic? I can't tell just from looking at them, I have several post war colts with the plastic "Coltwood" grips. They're fine, and correct to the guns, but they're plastic and will never be anything but plastic, even if they're a nice batch and look like wood rather than poop. Plastic... That may have been kewl in 1946, but it isn't cool anymore...

'39 was a nutso year, and it doesn't get any more nutso than in Nazi Germany. They couldn't have made many of these civilian models that year.

Edit: on second thought they look pretty plastic to me... Ets ze Deutch Coltvood. Still want it though!
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

I sent you a PM about the Walther.

The grips were all plastic on the PPK. THe PP did see some pressed wood grips late in the war, but they are rare. Most were made from Bakelite and the PP grips were from Bakelite or hard rubber for the early models.

Most of these were made for the Kripo, but civilian and military sales too. Officers were required to purchase their own sidearm and none of these have any outstanding marks to denote such use. Some of the Kripo PP's and PPK's were marked with the Eagle over C, but not all.
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

That is interesting, and I would not have guessed that the regular police would have to buy their own sidearm in Nazi Germany.

Was Walther doing any export business at that time? I would think they weren't given the Nazi's xenophobia.

Military and SS officers had to buy their own sidearm. I don't know about the Kripo or Orpo. Walther did export during the time before the war but I would have to check on the importer and I'm at work now.

This is a really interesting thread. I would LOVE to see pics of this old Walther. Can you post pics when you get it????
    I don't want to be a hero, but I'm sure not going to be a victim.

Hydrogen and human stupidty are the two most common elements on earth, not necessarily in that order. -- Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    FWIW. Some of the older PPK models came with 2 sets of grips. One thin plastic set and one set of "one piece" wood grips, 2 sets for different size hands. The one piece wood grips supposedly "fattened" the sides and filled more of the rear of the frame that had no back strap.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Links