Sig model 1911 nightmare carry mag question

This is a discussion on Sig model 1911 nightmare carry mag question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for an 8 round, flush fitting, high quality magazine for my new Sig. It comes with 2 mags that have pretty large ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Sig model 1911 nightmare carry mag question

Sig model 1911 nightmare carry mag question

I am looking for an 8 round, flush fitting, high quality magazine for my new Sig. It comes with 2 mags that have pretty large slam pads. My intent is to carry with a flush fitting and use the stock mags as backup mags. Can I find a 8 round flush fitting, or will I have to go to a 7 round to accomplish the flush fit? I was looking at the Tripp mags. Any thoughts/recommendations on a mag?

2. Remove Ads

Colt makes 8 rd flush fitting, but IDK if the Sig is more particular re magazines.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    I've always had good luck with Chip McCormick magazines. I'd suggest buying 1 to make sure it functions properly in your gun before buying more.
    Taurahe and Aceoky like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Wilson 47's.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I've always had good luck with Chip McCormick magazines. I'd suggest buying 1 to make sure it functions properly in your gun before buying more.
    THis here... My primary carry mag is a chip McCormic 8 rnd mag and it works flawlessly in my SA
    Aceoky and oldman45 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I have had two Sig Carry models, including a Nightmare. Chip's mags didn't run in either of them. The only non-Sig magazine I had that worked in them was a Kim-Pro. The ones my buddy got with his S&W also worked fine in them.

Administrator
    I would NOT go with a TRIPP research magazine if your pistol is already functioning correctly with standard mags. The TRIPP mags position the top round in the magazine slightly higher up and the bullet nose at a different feed angle.
    GREAT! if you are having feed problems - if not, then if it ain't broke - don't fix it.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I would NOT go with a TRIPP research magazine if your pistol is already functioning correctly with standard mags. The TRIPP mags position the top round in the magazine slightly higher up and the bullet nose at a different feed angle.
    GREAT! if you are having feed problems - if not, then if it ain't broke - don't fix it.
    What is a TRIPP magazine? I'm curious because that seemed to be the problem with the Chip mags. The slides on the Sigs seemed to drag on the top round and therefore wouldn't cycle.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInEdmonds View Post
    What is a TRIPP magazine? I'm curious because that seemed to be the problem with the Chip mags. The slides on the Sigs seemed to drag on the top round and therefore wouldn't cycle.
    Here's a decent review and good pictures, Wilson Combat v. Tripp Research
    Aceoky likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Thanks for the mag information. There sure is a lot of conflicting opinions on mags out there.

My main question is can I find a 8 round flush fitting, or will I have to go to a 7 round to accomplish the flush fit? I believe the Sig carry is considered a commander size. It comes with 2 eight round mags that stick out about 1/2 inch. Second question, anyone know who makes the Sig mags?

Obviously this is my first foray into the 1911 world. I have been doing a lot of reading. my 1911 arrived last week. Ammo will be here shortly. Time to see what this 1911 fever is all about.

mkh
    I run Wilson Combat in my Sig 1911s. The McCormack mags didn't feed reliably and I have never tried TRIPP mags. I have one Mec-Gar but I haven't used it yet.

For mags Greg Cote is the man to go to Greg Cote, LLC

thanks for the information. Still haven't made any decisions. I think I will tote it around for awhile with the Sig mags and see how that goes before I order anything else.

Supposedly man 8 round mags aren't 100% reliable. Which is why the WC is about 1/8" longer. I've always wondered why no one makes flat mag springs to try to overcome the reliability issue.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    I've always wondered why no one makes flat mag springs to try to overcome the reliability issue.
    I think if it would make any difference at all, Integrated Systems Management Inc. would offer them.
    Last edited by OD*; October 3rd, 2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Spellun'
    Aceoky likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links