Defensive Carry banner

Fight! Glock vs 1911

19K views 154 replies 80 participants last post by  nedrgr21 
#1 ·
FIGHT!
This is the Ford vs Chevy argument of the gun world. It causes folks to make YouTube videos proclaiming even that all guns should be glocks (See here). So since this is a very regular debate – we figure why not break it down side by side in our series called FIGHT! and see which gun really is the better of the two.

The Firearm Report | Fight! Glock vs 1911
:smile:Should make every one happy.

#38 ·
His basic premise is correct but, it's just that he got a lot of his facts wrong w/ regard to the 1911 and to a lesser degree GLOCK.

Let me give you a personal example of mine. Here is the scenario in brief.

I am in my home with 2 loaded firearms on the table. The bad guys are using a battering ram to bust in my front door.

I need to make a lightning fast choice of which gun to grab off the table. A box stock GLOCK or MY 1911. = I grab MY 1911. :yup:

Same scenario....two firearms on the table, a box stock GLOCK and a 1911 of unknown origin. = Absolutely...I go for the GLOCK. :yup:

I trust MY 1911 but, I would trust a box stock GLOCK more than I would trust your 1911. :biggrin2:

#46 ·
I currently own eight 1911 style pistols including two 10mm. I have carried a 1911 for fifty years now. I own one Glock which is a G20 SF 10mm. I have carried a Glock G20 for over twenty years now. My personal preference is the 1911. If I had to choose only one handgun to own it would be the Glock G20 SF. I carry a 1911 and a spare magazine in urban areas. I carry my Glock G20 SF or my FNH FNX-45 Tactical with two spare magazines in remote rural areas. If FNH made a reliable FNX Tactical in 10mm, I would sell my one and only Glock. I carry a Sig P938 9mm or a Springfield XDs-45 and a spare magazine as a pocket BUG.

#48 ·
Glock Vs 1911 ain't that simple.

If the choice is a pre 2008 Glock (no MIM) vs a new Kimber, (or Colt) I would take the Glock, resale value not considered as a factor.

However, if the choice is a new Gen 4 Glock vs a Dan Wesson, Les Baer, or Ed Brown (none of those 1911's have MIM) then a 1911 it is, resale value not a factor.

Not all Glocks are equal and neither are 1911's.

Implied in my reply: I do not want MIM parts in my pistol

#53 ·
d

#55 ·
Ford vs. Chevy? In the car analogy, it's more like Ford vs. Honda.

The one you can customize and tune and tweak and spend thousands on. You can hug it and pet it and squeeze it and call it George.

The other you can fire six digit rounds through with a little oil and cleaner.

#57 ·
Nice article. Is the angle of handle to help keep it down when rapid fire? Makes me want to try one out. You did a good job not showing bias and made both sound equally impressive. Thank you.

#77 ·
Betty White was quite the Fox in her day.

#63 ·
I like both. That being said, I choose to carry a Glock for the 15 rounds of 9mm my G19 carries. Utterly reliable and downright durable. If, God forbid, my state goes back to limiting magazines to 10 rounds, I will most definitely go back to the 1911 as my carry. Slim, powerful, accurate and pretty are my reasons for loving the platform. Can be reliable when you get a quality gun or get one tuned by one of the great 1911 gunsmiths out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.