Fight! Glock vs 1911

This is a discussion on Fight! Glock vs 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FIGHT! This is the Ford vs Chevy argument of the gun world. It causes folks to make YouTube videos proclaiming even that all guns should ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree297Likes

Thread: Fight! Glock vs 1911

Wink Fight! Glock vs 1911

FIGHT!
    This is the Ford vs Chevy argument of the gun world. It causes folks to make YouTube videos proclaiming even that all guns should be glocks (See here). So since this is a very regular debate we figure why not break it down side by side in our series called FIGHT! and see which gun really is the better of the two.

The Firearm Report | Fight! Glock vs 1911
    Should make every one happy.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

2. Remove Ads

Man, I always thought the M in JMB was Moses. The article cleared that up and it makes way more sense now!

I prefer the 1911. That said, when I bought my first handgun I compared it to the Glocks for reliability. Just dislike that grip angle, and width.
    Kennydale and gatorbait51 like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

"There is no real winner here one is not better than the other. You may like Glocks I may like 1911s. You may like Roast Beef I may like Turkey."

Very informative article.......................
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I see two winners there. I prefer both.

I own and carry both. No fight here.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

By the way, there was 30 mags made for the 1911 in WWI. Before the machine guns was put on the planes they used pistols and rifles to shoot at each other. They came up with a 30 round mag for Army Air Force.
    BigJon10125 and gatorbait51 like this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    I'll take several of both, please.....

Sponsor
    Carry both professionally, the 1911 longer by a few decades.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Little more history, yes there was full auto 1911's made. I have had my hands on one from a collection of class III weapons. I think there was only a small number made.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Member Array Warrior1256's Avatar
    I have both and prefer the Glock although I would not trade my 1911s for anything.
    ranbo1213 and gatorbait51 like this.

John M (LMAO!) Browning! Priceless!
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Wait, is that top rack or bottom rack in the dishwasher? Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Not a real real useful comparison. Glocks are a different type of sidearm. They are great Kodak guns, just point and shoot. Glock has amazing quality and reliability for the Price, but they are not for those who shoot 'Bullseye Competition' or +P+ ammo as their barrels do not have the strength (no Buffalo Bore Ammo for them).

The 1911s are not for those new to sidearms. Proficiency takes much work and practice. Also, manual safeties are never to be considered a bad thing.

I remember being issued my first ("plastic") Duty Glock, it wasn't a 'pretty thing' for sure, however, Glocks proved their inherent advantage of Point & Shoot reliably in LE.
    There were NDs almost daily with Glocks in the U.S., when they became the choice of LE in the early 90s (much due to deep discounts).
    Due to the emerging Crack/Meth epidemic, which caught U.S. LE agencies off guard, it was quickly learned LEOs were severly "Out-gunned"... the Cartels had an endless supply of semi & FA weapons while LEOs had revolvers & shotguns.... IT WAS A MESS!!

The Glock was the first Semi-auto sidearm with an increased capacity considered reliable/accurate/versatile/affordable/easy maint/easy conversion training/ and a remarkable 5.5 lb trigger + very affordable.
    The early S&W 1st Gens were available to us, but they still had issues. Glocks were the first to offer the 'whole package' at a great price, the Sigs were their best competitor, but were more expensive with too many parts.

During my 40 year career in LE, I was issued many different Glocks, they were lightweight & extremely reliable and the beat my S&W 586 Revolver, so I loved Glocks for many years.
    Once, I was transitioned to a G21 and even with my XXL (but thick) hands, that fat grip never really worked for me. (The better S&W M&P .45 was still in the future.)

Now, Glocks have endless competition..., And I did get the manageable S&W M&P .45acp 4.2 in bbl as I'm a 45 guy at heart.
    I have always had 1911s in .45acp, but they are not the best choice for a Duty sidearm.

Being retired, my favorite carry is my Colt Defender .45acp at less than 0.99 inch wide and 22 ozs (my maximum allowances for any carry sidearms, nowdays) + the belt-clip ($20) requires no holster and keeps it "thin".

Glocks are not the 'BEST' sidearm out there, but for those who are comfortable carrying a sidearm over 0.99 inches wide, and want a true "Kodak", they are a fantastic value for all you get. I think their best attribute is the trigger, once you are trained to "bump" the 5.5 lb trigger, it can fire near as fast as a full auto.
    (I once got DQ'd during a re-qual for 'bumping' a full mag from a Glock) Could never do it with any other make. (??)

I like looking at various 1911s. They are beautiful guns. Or can be, at any rate. Glocks... not so much.

Of course I own two G 19s, and zero 1911s. I wanted a dependable, fighting pistol, right out of the box. Thats what I got.

I have shot 1911s, and like them. They do feel great in the hand. But...

Administrator
    "Find a 1911 that can even hold 30 rounds and I’ll declare it superior – fact is you can't.

There are 40 round drum magazines available for both the 1911 and Glock - so he was wrong on that point.
    40 rounds of .45 acp should get the job done whatever that job may happen to be.

Clip Capacity – this one is very simple. More is better. Try to find a 17 round 1911 clip and then get back to me.

There are also 30 round stick magazines available.
    There are also 11 round and 16 available. So...get back to me with an apology.

"That’s right folks – you can clean your Glock in the DISHWASHER. No more Hoppes #9 all over your hands. Try doing that with your fancy smancy 1911!"

and a STAINLESS 1911 w/ Stainless Springs would also be dishwasher safe. AND you could set the dishwasher on SUPER HEATED DRY - try THAT with your fancy smancy polymer plastic frame GLOCK!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links