Some college students are OK.

This is a discussion on Some college students are OK. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in the LGS today. I am always looking for something "Old and interesting". There were 2 very attractive, early 20ish coeds there. They ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Some college students are OK.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.

I was in the LGS today. I am always looking for something "Old and interesting". There were 2 very attractive, early 20ish coeds there. They just happened to be looking in the used S&W display, which was fine with me as they gave me something "New and interesting" to look at. The store was very busy and they were patiently waiting. One of the ladies turned to me and asked if I knew anything about guns. My southern upbringing would not allow me to fail a lady in distress, so I asked what, in particular, they were looking for. Long story short they were both looking to buy a firearm due to the rising crime rate on the campus and surrounding area. One said jokingly, that most of the students were anti-gun, but she had discussed the idea of buying a gun with her parents and they were all for it. She said that her family members were farmers in Nebraska and very pro gun. They told her to go to a LGS and ask some of the customers for suggestions. I suggested a .38 revolver of some sort as they were simple to operate, safe and easy to conceal. They both purchased firearms. One got an "as new" S&W Model 36. The other ended up with a nice looking Colt "Detective Special" as farmer's daughter "Daddy told me to get a Colt".

Although both had been shooting their entire lives, they had already contacted one of the local Sheriff's departments and were starting lessons next weekend and were going to apply for their CC permits afterwards.

It encouraged me that these 2 young ladies from out of state had the good sense to purchase guns. It also made me feel good that there are still parents who raise their children right and instilled enough responsibility to trust them with buying a firearm. ON THEIR OWN.

Experiencing this personally and realizing that there are still a few college kids with good "raising", gives me hope for the future of our great nation.

BTW. They did work the clerk for a "two gun discount" and I got a box of Hornady Critical Duty for my trouble. It was a good day..
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

VIP Member
    Good on ya!

One of 'em had a smart daddy....

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Good for them.

We're not all bad. Glad to hear those ladies are very much so in touch with (the sad) reality.
    bmcgilvray and Aceoky like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    This is encouraging.

May they live long and prosper!

(and raise their kids to be like-minded)
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    Good for the young ladies ...................I never was given free stuff and discounts what is that about
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Sounds like they asked the right guy for advice,later on they may decide to buy a semi,but a revolver is always a great gun to start with
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Parents sent their precious daughters to a decent school, but many colleges still hang on to the "Gun-Free-Zone" Myth.

Even my boys and their wives would Never send their young daughters (my 3 grand-children) to unprotected shooting preserves.
    Some parents really do love their children; others send their 'offspring' to places like "VIRGINIA TECH" or "SANDY HOOK ELEMENTARY. I'll never understand such thinking.

When I retired from LE, I did not relocate from Detroit to the Heartland, by mistake.
    I chose a Free State with many Good people with True American Values. Despite the Media, Most Americans still have Real American Values.

Even the Media can't cover-up firearms and ammo shortages. Good U.S. Citizens are getting Fed up with this Greedy, Marxist Regime.
    Aceoky likes this.

There are actually quite a few very informed members of the gun community under 30. Specifically, a lot between 25 and 30. Lots of young veterans who became gun guys or who learned the difference between mythology and reality the hard way. Still others are simply citizens who have benefitted tremendously from the information exchange made possible by the extreme connectivity of the Information Age. I'd guess the majority of the gun community are still casual owners and generally uninformed politically, but I have a lot of hope in the next generation.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    Currently own: Beretta PX4 9mm, Glock 23 (Gen 4), Glock 19 (Gen 4) x2

VIP Member
    I think Women bring credibility to gun ownership and concealed carry . Men gun owners are veiwed as Yahoo's and Women are logical and have a more reasonable thought process.

This is how i see it in the state i live in ( Maryland ) IMHO
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    there are plenty of young folks who buys guns one their own and get permits. went out and bought a pistol when i turned 21, first in the family to own a gun. got my permit at 23 when the law passed. my two youngest friends just turned 21 and they are applying for their permits.

statistic/stereo type would suggest that most CHL holders are middle aged white guys but that's just not true, i know a lot of young men and woman that carry who would not be seen as the "carrying type".
    Aceoky likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Great job and kudos to the ladies for being proactive about personal safety. All good !!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Way to be a gentleman! I believe there are many smart people of that age and the only reason we aren't exposed to it more is that stupid tv device. That being said, the gap between us and them is widening. Those smart gals are going go make fine wives and mothers. Too bad the others tend to breed faster.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    We're not all bad. Glad to hear those ladies are very much so in touch with (the sad) reality.
    My interest is piqued...are you a young college coed?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    My interest is piqued...are you a young college coed?

If so, then my image of blitzburgh is shattered!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links