Xd cocked striker indicator

This is a discussion on Xd cocked striker indicator within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me start by saying I couldn't find any input via search, so I'm reaching out to the DC masses Ok so in the very ...

Thread: Xd cocked striker indicator

Xd cocked striker indicator

Let me start by saying I couldn't find any input via search, so I'm reaching out to the DC masses

Ok so in the very near future ill be in the market for a new CC gun and I've been putting in my share of homework/range time yada-yada. One very real prospective is a XD sub compact. In reading all the features and watching the video reviews, I came upon a question I have no real answer to. Why the cocked striker indicator? Hear me out. It makes sense if it had a de-cocker like my 226, but it doesn't. That being said you cannot possibly chamber a round and keep it de-cocked (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Biggest proof IMO that it's obsolete is that it was not incorporated on the new(er) xds.
    This may be over thinking a small feature, but curious if this has any real practical benefit that I may have overlooked is all. Curious to see what you guys think

2. Remove Ads

When I holster my xdm, my thumb rests upon the cocked striker indicator and i keep my palm off the grip safety. I KNOW its cocked by the feel of it. I do not have to question or cycle a round on accident if ever i were to forget. It makes really good sense because you know the firearm is primed and ready to go. I have 2 kids, a full time job and college to attend. Sometimes things slip your mind. This way, i don't have to worry about if i chambered a round, i know by feel.

edit: as an afterthought, your decocker functions in a way to let you know as well. the trigger of a 226/229 does not fully reset when decocked. you would know by trigger position if nothing else. I cant remember if the hammer lowers fully when decocked.

All it indicates is that the slide has been racked and the trigger has not been pulled meaning the gun may be loaded,kinda stupid since you should assume all guns are loaded until you physically check.It's basically the back of the firing pin showing that is in the cocked position.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    My HD gun is an XD Service .40 with Streamlight LED. To me both the loaded chamber indicator and cocked striker indicator are useless, I use neither.

Like Dave, when holstering my PPS I place my thumb on top of the striker indicator. If I feel it rise, I know that something has snagged the trigger and the gun will fire if I continue my current course of action. I personally value this feature.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

VIP Member
    I like Glock's cocked striker indicator much better. If the trigger is forward, it is cocked. If it is to the rear, not cocked. It doesn't get any simpler.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Seems like it may be a comforting reminder depending on the user. As for me personally I know it's chambered all day, every day. But as Dave mentioned kids, work, and school can be mentally taxing. I'm working full time, looking to get back to school, and my wife and I are expecting our 1st child in January. So although its not for me atm, I could see how it could be a quick comforting check while holstered to make sure life didn't overwhelm me and forget to +1.

Thanks for the feedback!

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    My HD gun is an XD Service .40 with Streamlight LED. To me both the loaded chamber indicator and cocked striker indicator are useless, I use neither.
    I have the same gun for HD, and when I pull it from my bedside gun-safe's holster in the middle of the night, the loaded chamber is just a little extra reassurance when investigating a 'bump' in the night. It provides both visual and tactical (when the lights are out) confirmation that it is indeed ready to fire.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing." - Adolf Hitler

Links