Hate your LCP?

Hate your LCP?

This is a discussion on Hate your LCP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ever have a gun you just hate but is so convenient that you just can't get rid of it? I have a hate-to-love-it relationship with ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Hate your LCP?

Ever have a gun you just hate but is so convenient that you just can't get rid of it? I have a hate-to-love-it relationship with my 2nd gen LCP. It's been my pocket pal the whole year. It's updated trigger is decent. It's light. And the best part is it disappears in spendex.

But I hate it. Hate how small it is. Hate practicing or shooting with it. I loathe my range sessions with the LCP. I can't stand the way it looks. The pew pew .380. The 6 shot mag. The lousy sights. The non locking on the last shot slide. The long DAO trigger. And equally as long reset. It's like the red headed stepchild of my carry pieces. I swear that my five Glocks call it names and beat it up in the safe every night. And ragheads will die of laughter sooner than I could harm them with this little pea shooter.

But yet here it sits in my pocket even as I write this because I can't dress around my G26 enough today. It's just a gun that beats a pointy stick. Even if barely.

How many of you have such a relationship with one of your guns or the LCP? Have you sold yours and could you live without it?
    farsidefan1 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You lost me at the spandex comment...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    And the best part is it disappears in spendex [sic].........
    Please don't elaborate further. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    My LCP is the carry gun of last resort. I carry it when I can't hide anything bigger. I've never gone unarmed when I wanted to be armed since it followed me home in June of 2009. I bought the first one that came into the LGS. It went back for the recall. It was flawless before the recall, and it's been flawless since.

I carry it less since I bought the P238 but there are still times I carry the LCP. It's always in the carry safe in the closet ready to go. It shares the safe with the G19, G26, and P238. Sometimes with the SIG C3.

The LCP is here to stay. If I could only have two carry guns, the LCP would be one of them.

Fitch
    Pinot likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Please... I'm starting to get emotional....
    Learjetphlyer and Smarshe like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I love mine, and if I ever have to pull it I'll shoot them right in their eye like I didn't have a care in the world!

I can cleanly smack 10s at 25', and trust it to go bang every time. Because I bought it I carry all the time. Without it, despite having three gun safes busting out, I wouldn't carry nearly so much.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I like mine as well, a .380 is a little workhorse you will need something more then a bandaid to cover the damage.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaSig View Post
    Please don't elaborate further. Thanks.
    Don't go off half-cocked here. It is possible that the OP is a lady and this could get interesting with photos.
    Back on topic, I agree, I love to hate my LCP, and find it travels more often than the .45.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Don't go off half-cocked here. It is possible that the OP is a lady and this could get interesting with photos.
    Back on topic, I agree, I love to hate my LCP, and find it travels more often than the .45.
    I'm a guy but fear not! I don't actually have spendex!

Can't help you. Love my LCP so much I often carry two of them. With two spare mags, that is 26 total rounds in a very concealable and comfortable package.

Ran it through a low light class and bested all the others, despite how terrible the LCP is supposed to be. My wife carries one also.

When I carry anything else as a primary, one LCP always comes along as a BUG.

As far as pew pew goes...two to the chest, one to the head. FMJ gets more than enough penetration. Not sure what else you can ask for.
    Eric357 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I bought a Kel-Tec P3-AT when they came out. I really wanted to like it and carry it in my pocket. I had lots of limp-wrist type failures. I bought a Ruger LCP when they came out. I had lots of limp-wrist type failures. Other people shot them and had less failures, but still a few. My hands are large enough that I can't get a tight grip on them. I traded both for a Sig P238. I put hundreds of rounds through it with no failures so I bought another one. I carried one of them in my pocket for around three years.

I don't trust a small .380 AP for primary carry, so I started looking for a Sig P938 9mm. I found a Springfield XDs-45 that was great for a pocket BUG and occasionally a primary gun while wearing shorts and a t-shirt this summer. I got it broke in with around five hundred rounds and then sold my Sig P238s. They recalled the XDs series so I bought a Sig P938 which I am currently carrying as a pocket BUG. I will probably buy a second XDs-45 after they start shipping them back. There will likely be a flood of them on the market and I should be able to get a great deal on one.

No spandex here.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I've been going back and forth on getting one, but I keep running up against the fact that I can't see many situations where I could carry an LCP, but NOT carry my LCR. I just trust .38 more (and .357 even more, though I carry with .38's). The thing fits in my pocket just fine and can throw bullets that are a LOT heavier than any .380, and the caliber just has a lot more history of effective use.
    DetChris and d2jlking like this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

"Hate how small it is. Hate practicing or shooting with it. I loathe my range sessions with the LCP. I can't stand the way it looks. The pew pew .380. The 6 shot mag. The lousy sights. The non locking on the last shot slide. The long DAO trigger. And equally as long reset. It's like the red headed stepchild of my carry pieces."

I have a Kel Tec P3AT which is the same thing as the LCP. I loathe it and for the same reasons you mention plus I hate plastic guns. I really loathe any DAO pistol. I particularly don't enjoy shooting them at the range or in the field and don't wish to carry one. The triggers vex me. On a runty pistol with bad ergonomics the triggers really vex me. The LCP is marginally better but neither the finish, the trigger, nor the sights of the Ruger are enough better to tempt me to trade into one. I loathe all such stunted .380 pistols. I do my best to avoid having to carry the P3AT. If there's any way to fit something larger (and there almost always a way) I leave the paltry, .380 behind.

Its saving grace is the fact that it hides in much the same way as a .25 ACP can hide. I'd have to hold my nose to tote either.

OD* likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

*sigh*

Ya know...I bet that some folks would shoot these guns a whole lot better, if they would open their minds a bit...and allow themselves to shoot them well.
    45ACP4ever likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Ever have a gun you just hate but is so convenient that you just can't get rid of it? I have a hate-to-love-it relationship with my 2nd gen LCP. It's been my pocket pal the whole year. It's updated trigger is decent. It's light. And the best part is it disappears in spendex.

But I hate it. Hate how small it is. Hate practicing or shooting with it. I loathe my range sessions with the LCP. I can't stand the way it looks. The pew pew .380. The 6 shot mag. The lousy sights. The non locking on the last shot slide. The long DAO trigger. And equally as long reset. It's like the red headed stepchild of my carry pieces. I swear that my five Glocks call it names and beat it up in the safe every night. And ragheads will die of laughter sooner than I could harm them with this little pea shooter.

But yet here it sits in my pocket even as I write this because I can't dress around my G26 enough today. It's just a gun that beats a pointy stick. Even if barely.

How many of you have such a relationship with one of your guns or the LCP? Have you sold yours and could you live without it?
    I actually don't own an LCP, but... I can relate, actually. Even though my gun is much bigger (the Glock 30SF, Gen 3), I kind of just don't like it because... I don't know, maybe I'm racist and it's because it's black! Haha... that was a joke, obviously, in case there was anyone left who actually thought I was racist... ok, now that that's cleared up...

The .45 has somewhat lost its charm on me... I used to think HOLY COW A .45!!! WOW!!! A HAND CANNON! DROP YOU WITH ONE SHOT! But they're all the freakin' same, man... 9mm, .40, .45... maybe .380 I don't know but I really feel like "who cares?" when it comes to caliber. They're all the same. Wow, a 0.1 difference in diameter... same power. Big deal. So it's lost its charm.

It's also just kinda'... ugly, I guess. It just doesn't have the "cool" factor, at least not to me...

I frequently fantasize about carrying a pre-lock, round butt 4" Smith & Wesson 686+ with Hogue round butt Rosewood Laminate grips... freaking gorgeous, powerful, just sexy. But I guess I'll go with my 21 rounds of .45 over the 14 rounds of .357 Magnum.... blegh. Pfft. Ugh. Not as cool... not to me. Oh well! Maybe someday I'll change my mind or learn to love what I've got. The grass is always greener on the other side, right?
    brocktice likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links