Confession time

Confession time

This is a discussion on Confession time within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had a Taurus PT709 several years and its been great. It was my first one, so my opinion was good on them. A couple ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Confession time

Confession time

I've had a Taurus PT709 several years and its been great. It was my first one, so my opinion was good on them.

A couple years later I bought a Taurus PT845 and it had some issues and I traded it for a G36 (which functions fine, but I don't shoot it well, like it, or carry it).

I was still of a favorable opinion of Taurus at this point.

Recently I decided a pocket micro 380 was in order. The LCP is the proven standard and I like Ruger and have many of them, but I liked some of the design features of the Taurus TCP better, so I went with it.

First range trip was 100 rounds, flawless function, and dead on accurate. I loved it.

Well, next trip I started having failure to go completely into battery failures. So I did a little Drexel buffing.

Next trip, it was jamming at the bottom of the feed ramp. Did more polishing.

Last trip, it was was doing the other things and also failing to extract.

So, after an initially successful 100 round trip it has just gone down hill exponentially. Next is the call to Taurus and I anticipate the famous trip back...and perhaps repeat trips I've read about.

So, now, I know why people have the opinion they do. Maybe they'll get it right, maybe not. I have numerous firearms, so it isn't putting me in a tight spot. Just time and hassle. My PT709 now has over 3,000 rounds with no problems at all. I love it and wouldn't part with it, but too bad they're not all that good. I'm 1 out of 3... So I'll be going a different route from now on. Guess I had to learn the hard way.

I still won't completely bash them, but have a healthy doubt. Too bad.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sorry to hear. Your Taurus luck sounds like my Kahr luck. Brace for incoming "told you so"s...
    StormRhydr and oneshot like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Told you so...... blame 10thmtn for that lol. I had a terrible experience with taurus and wont buy another but to each there own. I hope that everything works out well for you with getting it fixed. Have you tried something along the lines of an M&P shield or Bersa CC9mm ?
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Well, if I wasn't prepare for the "I told you so's", I wouldn't have posted the thread. My 709 is still awesome 9mm, just looking for the micro 380. I'll give them a chance to make it right. I really think it just needs a real good fluff and buff of the chamber and ramp. Might be fine after than, might not. If not, I'll be looking at the LCP for sure.

It's a shame though. From 10 yards I could shoot the dead center out of a target with the Taurus 380 frequently. Nice little shooter and first 100 rounds were flawless. We'll see.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    How long do you suppose a thread of pictures of Tauruses (Taurusii??) that they had to send back to the factory be?.......

Sorry for the bad luck on the TCP. Mine had a bit of a feeding problem the first time out, but after a bit of fluffing on it, it has been great since. The TCP fits the hand better than the LCP or the P3AT imo, and much easier to shoot.

I don't carry it too often, but don't hesitate to if need be. I am one of the lucky ones I guess. Of the 3 Taurus I have all run great.

Oh, and my Kahrs have been great too.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I bought a 709 for my wife and we had a perfect experience with it. The only complaint I have is the trigger is terrible, I am used to shooting 1911's and xd/xdm/xds and I can't get used to the long DA trigger on the 709, I recently upgraded my wife to a 9mm xds so the taurus is gonna be sold at some point but I would trust my life on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If you get enough firearms, you'll eventually get a loser now & then. Machines & math. No formula for 'who' gets them, though.
    Myself, I've been ridiculous lucky. I did get two 'Brand New' Kimbers, at different times, and both were losers. 2 for 2, there. I've had about 15 Colts with zero issues?
    I've had several Tauruses in .45acp (+P Rated), My PT145Pro (one of my favorites) has about 600 flawless rounds through it & a PT745 with hundreds of rounds.
    My Tauruses like to be clean, light lube, but not wet, with Good Ammo. My 1st Taurus needed a mega-cleaning before shooting.

I got a little 8 oz Kel-Tec P3AT .380 (+P) back when the Ruger LCP.380 (Not +P rated) was having recall issues, which scared me off (I liked the belt-clip on the P3AT for RF pocket carry, too), Its been good for many years, but the wife liked it and took it away from me, so I got another one a few years ago, flawless.
    Those lead me to a Kel-Tec 1st Gen PF9 and recently, a 6th Gen PF9 (smallest & thinnest 9mm made), both flawless & +P rated (both got the belt clips, so no holster needed. Clips perfect between jeans & belt).

I wish these light-weight guys were around during most my LE career as BUGs.
    Most the problems I've seen were less expensive sidearms not cleaned before shooting with cheap ammo ran through them. I got some very good deals because of that.
    Once, at a range, I got a brand new Taurus with only 50 rounds through it (Wolf) for half price, because the owner didn't want that POS Taurus around him.... I took it home, cleaned the packing grease out & kept it for years with zero problems.
    Got a new POS Kel-Tec P-11 almost the same way... it looked like black peanut butter inside, but was at the range 1 or 2 times. I cleaned it, 'racked-the-slide' 200+ times & it was perfect. I offered it back to him when working, but he wanted $75. 'cuz Kel-Tecs are all garbage. LOL

VIP Member
    Bug dude,

I have to give you some credit for eating a plate of the bull. You could have just not posted this experience and went about your day. I have personally bashed the heck out of Taurus on DC and you have always stuck up for them based on past personal luck. I will not say I told you so, just good luck with getting her up and running properly. Thanks for the update.
    BugDude and Aceoky like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Yeah. I had that kind of luck with my one and only "Kahr". I have trouble not spitting when I say that brand name, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Sorry to hear. Your Taurus luck sounds like my Kahr luck. Brace for incoming "told you so"s...

Where was the TCP made?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    A nose diving bullet is a sign of bent mag feed lips. Id check that first. They can be adjusted, It doesnt take much to bend one. Good luck DR

VIP Member
    Things happen- and I am usually very fortunate and escape the trouble. I've owned several Keltecs over the years and have never had a problem. Only one Taurus but it is a 145 that runs like a champ. I have about 2000 rounds through it and it has never hiccuped. My only horror story was a RIA tactical 1911 that I couldn't get to run for anything. New owner claims to not have problems.

All companies turn out lemons from time to time. The big names do it rarely and will bend over backwards to make it right when they do, and usually give you a little something extra for your troubles. The less optimal companies turn out a few more bad guns but still break their back to make it right for you. A few shady companies out there turn out crappy guns and then you're on your own. Taurus seems to be in the middle group.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I like Taurus never had any problems with them but around here they cost nearly as much or more than comparable Rugers Smiths and Glocks. At the same price or more then Im going for the Ruger or Smith. Nothing wrong with Glocks at all. Just not my preference.
    Aceoky likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I've only had experience with Taurus's revolvers (no complaints here, btw). Not too long ago, I came across the PT709 and liked the way it felt but I was hesitant about it because of their bad rep but... 3,000 rounds? Wow! I ended up going with the PF9 instead to replace my LCP but might have to give the PT709 a fair chance.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links