Ruger SR40c for carry- Your thoughts

This is a discussion on Ruger SR40c for carry- Your thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody carry a SR40c? I was thinking of getting one. It would be much lighter than my Colt Officers. It will be in a IWB ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Ruger SR40c for carry- Your thoughts

Question Ruger SR40c for carry- Your thoughts

Anybody carry a SR40c? I was thinking of getting one. It would be much lighter than my Colt Officers. It will be in a IWB holster.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I do not own one but a lot of people on this forum carry it or the SR9C and like them. I thought really hard about a SR9C but wanted something without a thumb safety.

I love it. Depending on what I'm wearing, I'll switch between my XDM and the SR40C. Nice little pistol, easy to conceal and light weight.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

If im correct the SR40C comes with a small mag and a large one like the sr9c is that correct?
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    If im correct the SR40C comes with a small mag and a large one like the sr9c is that correct?
    Yes it does
    Kennydale likes this.

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Have and carry the SR9c, love it! Easy to carry, accurate, and not to mention extremely affordable. Love it so much I'm going to pick up the 40c. Hickock45 has a good review of it on YouTube.

Sent from a gadget

Hickock45's review of the Ruger is a great watch. It's what actually lead me to buying one - you won't be upset. But I will definitely say clean the gun prior to shooting it. I've heard stories about light primer strikes/ FTFs and people blame it on the gun. It's actually because Ruger adds a ton of grease prior to shipping them out of the factor. I cleaned mine thoroughly when I first got it and have had no issues after 1500 rounds.

Yup definitely clean it, same here over 1k here as well, not a single issue.

Sent from a gadget

I carry an SR40C daily. I have done several in depth reviews on it here on the forum. It is an outstanding carry gun IMO. The ergonomics are very good, much better than a glock. This allows it to point naturally for me. Recoil is very very tame in the 40C.... easily the softest shooting 40 cal I have ever shot. It comes in two standard variations.... bi tone and all black. I have the all black model. Both are offered with either a 9 rnd and 15 rnd mag with grip extender, or two 9 rnd mags. I opted for the two 9 rnd mags as the grip extender makes it look really weird, and it does not balance well for me with the longer grip. I use the grip extenders on my mags though and find it to be both very comfortable and easy to conceal. I stippled my extenders as the plastic is slick and did not provide good finger traction for me. I also put a set of XS 24/7 bigdots on mine and it has been easily the best defensive pistol I have ever owned.

I had to send my 40C back to ruger today, as it was having some issues, but I would not hesitate to buy one again. Ruger has one of the best warranty policyies known to man, and they are absolutely fantastic to deal with
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadsmiles View Post
    Hickock45's review of the Ruger is a great watch. It's what actually lead me to buying one - you won't be upset. But I will definitely say clean the gun prior to shooting it. I've heard stories about light primer strikes/ FTFs and people blame it on the gun. It's actually because Ruger adds a ton of grease prior to shipping them out of the factor. I cleaned mine thoroughly when I first got it and have had no issues after 1500 rounds.
    I have a 9c and really like it a lot. A co-worker has the 40c and it worked flawlessly for something like 750 rounds as I recall and then he started getting light strikes. He cleans regularly and thoroughly. We did some Internet searching and found that some suspected the magazine disconnect safety could interfere with the striker since it moves between the arms on the mag disconnect safety. We removed it and he hasn't had any light strikes yet. This caused me to remove mine from the 9c as well, just to be safe. Of course, this means the gun will fire with the magazine removed, so keep that in mind if you do the mod.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

I been carrying a SR40C for about a year . Bought a Crossbreed Super Tuck , with that holster I carry all day , can't even tell its on my side . It fits my hand so well at the range , it's one of the most accurate hand guns I own . I highly recommend it for every day carry . With over 500 rounds through it , never missed a beat . I did remove the mag disconnect , never cared for the way the mag would release . Great gun , out if my dozen Rugers it's my favorite . (Next to my SR1911 another great gun) . By the way I'm a Ruger fan !!!!!
    Kennydale and AZ40 like this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher .... If its in English thank a veteran. ..
    NRA member. ..

+1 on the SR40c.
    I love mine. I was pretty sold on the SR9c but the 9 wasn't in stock where I went and the 40 was. In fact it was the only semi auto that wasn't a $Kimber$ on the wall. I also found it easier to find 40 S&W ammo locally.

Only thing of note for me besides cleaning it first was the pinkie extension on the 9 round mag. I carried with it on for a while IWB and it was fine, but when I started carrying OWB it seemed to print quite a bit more. Not really a huge issue, esp. in WA, but just something to note.
    Love how it shoots and carries.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadsmiles View Post
    I believe you are correct. I have a SR45, first 150 or so rounds without any issues, then all of the sudden 5 light primer strikes in 50 rounds. I removed the striker and cleaned the hell out of the channel and reassembled. Zero malfunctions since, very pleased with the 45 now.

I'm really considering a 9c as a winter time carry gun.

I had the opportunity to learn to shoot via a good friend last year (Age 62) I tried out his wife's .38 Charter revolver, his SR9C and his SR40C. And boy did i ever enjoy shooting his SR40C. I (First time shooting) did very well despite the added kick of the .40S&W. So that Nov 2012, I purchased an Ruger SR40C and have had my TX CHL for about 7 months. I like the advantage of going from the 9+1 (I always have one in chamber). I prefer the pinky extension on the short magazine though i have seen a video review where the reviewer filed it down a little (Need a Dremel for that). But to have a spare magazine (or two) of 15 is really comforting. The trigger and reset are very smooth. Some people complain about the Safety over kill on the SR series. I have no problem with the Manual Safety or the passive trigger safety. I am not particularly fond of the safety that prevents the gun from firing if magazine is out, but it is not a deal breaker with me. I also like the very obtrusive CHAMBER LOADED INDICATOR. My only complaint is that the spring on the SR40C makes it hard to charge the battery. But with time and dry fire the slide does become easier to rack . Ruger might not have the LEO or Military contracts that other Firearms manufactures have... They do know how to make a well made civilian firearm. If perchance you do have any issues with a Ruger (I have had none so far) I understand their Customer Service is really A-1 (from what I have read).

SR40C.jpgDSCN4634c.jpgIconDrawSMc.jpg

Carry my SR40c every where I can. Love the feel of it in my hand, it just fits, and in a tuckable holster is like it's not even there. Have had a lot of rounds through it (well over 1000) and it'll eat anything I give it. Great gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links