9mm AMT DAO Backup? Opinions? $275?

This is a discussion on 9mm AMT DAO Backup? Opinions? $275? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings! A LGS has a lightly used Irwindale 9mm AMT Backup with two extra mags for $275. The trigger seems good (typical DA revolver weight). ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurahe

Thread: 9mm AMT DAO Backup? Opinions? $275?

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar

Greetings!

A LGS has a lightly used Irwindale 9mm AMT Backup with two extra mags for $275. The trigger seems good (typical DA revolver weight). Good deal?

What do people think about these guns?

It seems to fit well in my hand and I like the heel mag release.

Are these new manufacture guns? If it's an older gun I generally stay away from guns with issues and the company is no longer in business,The older AMT's had issues
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I have one in a .380. It has about a 20lb trigger and is not accurate at all. Definitely not worth $275.

no, no, no. IMO, AMT's are trouble. in these early all stainless steel guns, i don't think companies yet knew to heat treat the slides differently from the frames to avoid galling. and they weren't reliable in other ways, either. even when they worked, the recoil was supposed to be pretty stiff for a 9mm.

i'd MUCH rather have a Kel Tec PF-9 for about the same money. or put the money towards something else. a Bersa 9BP-CC would be a much better alternative.

if it were me, i MIGHT pay $50 for it. certainly not $275!

p.s. on second thought, i wouldn't have one at any price above free. why ask for trouble?

Never shot one, dont want to either. AMT doesnt have much of a reputation, at least not a good one. Save the $275 bucks and get a 9mm M&P shield... or for another $125 bucks you can get a Bersa BP9CC subcompact 9mm.... highly accurate, outstanding quality and CS, and a sloid reputation for 400 bucks.... not too shabby if you ask me.
    Aceoky likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

My ol' (70's vintage) Backup was essentially a single-shot pistol that stored an extra 5 rounds (IIRC) in the grip.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Ex Member
    Just as many people swear at them as by them. If it makes it through a mag it's a good one. Can you test shoot it? IF it works $275 is a great price, check G-broker.

I had the AMT 9mm Kurtz (aka .380acp) as a BUG to my Duty Issue S&W 586 in the early 80s. Mine would easily hit an apple at 60 feet with the awful trench sights.

It is a fine collector's piece, but certainly not an EDC since parts are no longer available. Nice Find, especially with 2 mags.

Price is good, since you could always get it back plus a profit.
    If you are looking for a carry, you can get a P3At .380acp, (+P rated), and lighter (8 oz) for the same price.

VIP Member
    I agree with most postings saying don't, unless you have extra money and want a plaything.

If you do not, spend the extra money and get a better pistol, or @ the very least, get a Kel Tec or LCP.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I'd buy it. I bought one in .45 earlier this year and it is a lot of fun. I had to do some polishing on it, but it works well and is a small, heavy handful of death and destruction. It is not a primary defense gun for someone on a budget,,,, but it is a pretty fun toy and backup gun.

If I found a 9mm at $275.00 I'd buy it.

The "real" 9mm (vs the 9mm kurtz aka .380) are very uncommon. I was in the market for one and almost paid a whole lot more than what you can get it for. I remember reading somewhere (sorry, exactly where I don't know) that the 9mm backups were generally pretty reliable vs the other AMT's. I would take a chance. If it doesn't suit your fancy, I would buy it off you for your cost. Not kidding. I had two AMT's in .40. One was perfect never a ftf or fte, the other was junk, every other round a problem. I just don't see how you can lose for 275. Give us a follow-up report.
    NRA Life Member
    Second Amendment Foundation Supporter

Senior Member Array WebleyHunter's Avatar
    Well- The shop has misplaced the two extra mags. When they find them, I will go back and make a final decision. The gun is a 9x19mm, NOT .380. The gun seems very well made, much better than most of the poly-framed pocket wonders currently on the market. The rails look very smooth, with no galling. On guns with no safety, I like heavy, full travel triggers, and Euro mag release is a plus.

Thanks for your input.

We shall see...

Sponsored Links