SA LW Champion

SA LW Champion

This is a discussion on SA LW Champion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a LW Champion today. Took it home, got it apart, polished the feed ramp to mirror, lubed, greased it then put 200 ...

Thread: SA LW Champion

Sponsor

SA LW Champion

Just picked up a LW Champion today. Took it home, got it apart, polished the feed ramp to mirror, lubed, greased it then put 200 rds throug it with no issues.

Feeds Ranger T 230's fine, ball fine as well, but I didnt give it a chance to muck up by polishing the feedramp before firing it.

Questions for those who own them if you please.

1. Captured recoil spring assembly--not really happy about it, want the original spring set up if possible later. Whats the good, bad and ugly on these captured systems? Wear issues? Replacement issues, timeline to do so, etc.

I've heard they need to be replaced every 3K or so from others, is that really necessary? Seems a little premature to me, but I'm not that familiar with the captured systems.

2. I want to use a shok-buff in the gun, any issues with doing so? My gov models all wear them since at least the early 80's with no issues.

Any info on this gun, it's quirks, strengths, weaknesses, etc is appreicated.

I want this one to be my carry piece soon.

Thanks in advance

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Lead Moderator
    I run a stock SA champ LW loaded. I have had it about 8 months , so not sure about spring replacement issues.
    I had a slight problem before break in . the HP's would occasionally hang up on the feed ramp , only while using the slide release to drop the slide. Works fine now.
    I find the capture system works fine, and the takedown clip provided isn't needed. Much simpler than the traditional plunger system.
    sorry I cannot tell ya more.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sponsor
    Thanks Rocky,

Roughly how many rds through her now?

I take it you have not replaced the recoil captured spring set up? I understand they have to be bought as a unit and we can't just replace the springs on these [ SA does not sell them seperately ].

Brownie

Lead Moderator
    I have about 700 rnds thru it as of now. plan on some more right after the holidays too.
    Overall, I love the gun. The recoil is managable, accuracy is great and the ergomomics are wonderful.
    The finish isn't hte best, but I bought the OD, black bi tone.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sponsor
    Thanks again.

Mine shoudl have 1K through it by the end of the week, but I don't like the idea of having to replace the whole spring unit every 3k.

Understand there is a way to convert it to regular 1911 set up with 22# spring and commander recoil spring guide.

Brownie

Sponsor
    Talked with Springfield Armory [ SA ] today. Very nice lady on the line to help with my concerns about the captured recoil spring system in the pistol needing to be replaced as one unit as a considerable cost every 3K or so.

I'm told I can use the recoil plug in the gun, and swap out the captured system for a commander recoil spring guide and 24# standard recoil spring. Ordered 4 springs, two guide rods, and a spare plug for good measure.

The parts are on the way, should be here next week. Can't speak highly enough about SA and the service. They had me in their system already, even down to the new address here in Az.

Brownie

Lead Moderator
    They treated me right too. Might get me to buy a full size 1911 from em next.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

SA Commander

I've had my SA GI commander(steel, parkerized) for a little over a year and probably have approx. 1200 rounds through her. No issues whatsoever, reliable, accurate, and feeds anything I run through her(usually Speer, Gold Dot, 230 gr., dept. issue). I did change out the recoil spring guide, recoil plug and spring and it has been my "back-up" and "off-duty" gun for the past 8 or so months (after I put the first 500 rounds through without any problems).

I too had very good response from SA customer service when I sent my "Loaded" full size in (duty weapon) when it wasn't grouping as well as it should. SA tested it and replaced the barrel and barrel bushing, has been fine since. They paid the shipping and cost of all repairs and had it back to me within 3 weeks. Pretty good in my book.

I've really enjoyed my SA commander, best of luck .
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Sponsored Links