What pistol would be closest to a Taurus PT145?

This is a discussion on What pistol would be closest to a Taurus PT145? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying a Taurus pt145 millennium pro for about 2 years now. It was the first and only pistol I ever purchased for ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By EthanR.
  • 4 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By jca1

Thread: What pistol would be closest to a Taurus PT145?

I have been carrying a Taurus pt145 millennium pro for about 2 years now. It was the first and only pistol I ever purchased for concealed carry and I really liked it. For reasons that are beyond my control, I lost that weapon, and now I am looking to replace it. Unfortunately, Taurus no longer produces that model or else I would buy another one just like it, and I would rather not buy a used gun for EDC. Now onto my question.

I am just starting to do research on the new pistols that are on the market. The things that I loved about my Taurus were the small frame size, while still carrying 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP, striker fired, no external hammer, safety switch on the frame, not the slide, a DA/SA trigger with a SMOOTH face, (No safety on the trigger) The fact that it would eat anything from pdx1's, to federal redbox, to hand cast wad cutters made from tire weights, without a single glitch, and the loaded chamber indicator being right next to the finger index point rather than on top of the slide or at the rear. The $400 price tag didn't hurt it either. Can anyone suggest a new weapon for me that carries most if not all of these qualities? I've been looking at springfield xd and xdm models but I really don't like having the safety on the trigger face. Are there any good aftermarket workarounds for this? I haven't fired a glock in a few years, but back then, I didn't like the way it felt in my hand. I'm going to try to get to the range soon to try a few different pistols out, and see what fits me now, but I want to go with a list of a few options to try.
    ArmyCop likes this.

2. Remove Ads

i can't think of any gun that matches your old Taurus feature for feature. not saying that there isn't one, just that i can't think of one at the moment.

Glock 30SF. no smooth trigger, no safety (unless you have one added), and more than $400.
    still the best 10+1 compact .45, IMO. (not good for cast lead, though - polygonal rifling)

or look at the compact .45's from Smith & Wesson (M&P45C) and Ruger (SR45C).

or see if you can find a used PT145. many of my EDC guns were bought used, but i understand if that's not for you. (and i believe the PT145 is DAO, not DA/SA).

Quote Originally Posted by EthanR. View Post
    Probably anything by Jimenez, or maybe Hi-Point?
    Stevew, BurgerBoy, jca1 and 1 others like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

just use Gunbroker and find a used one

Firearms for Sale - Buy Firearms at GunBroker.com
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

cj
    I've often wished that one of the major manufacturers would create something similar to the PT145 with the compact dimensions, 10 rd capacity, and good recoil control.

In my list, your primary competitors, without giving up the capacity, are the Glock 30/30s/30sf, XD45 compact, and M&P .45c, all of which feature some type of trigger safety you already don't care for and lack many of the other features you like. My personal next step was the M&P line, as I've moved to that for just about everything else (competition, concealed carry, etc.), as I developed a fondness for the grip size adjustment capabilities, have no problems with the triggers, and am up to a whopping single FTF across all 4 of my M&Ps.

Good luck in your search! I have been sort of hoping that Ruger might start with a 'blank slate' (as they did with the LCP that so closely resembles the P380) and come up with something similar to the PT145.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I recently went from the PT145 to a S&W 357 mag J frame for my EDC.
    If I were to go back to a 45 ACP I think I'd want the Sig P250 in SubCompact body.

Don't forget to post what you end up buying.
    For God, Family and Country!

I've been looking around the web, and the Glock 30 is definitely the prom queen in terms of popularity, so I'll be sure to give it a test drive next time I'm at the range. I was looking at the HK45c and it seems to have a lot of the properties that I'm looking for but it comes with a $1000+ price tag and I don't have any friends that own HK's so idk anything about them really. With the HUGE aftermarket that exists for Glocks, has anyone heard of or used any kind of replacement trigger group that gets rid of that pesky trigger safety? I may just have to get used to it because it seems to be extremely common these days. I have no interest in gunbroker because everything I see there is 10-15% more expensive over a LGD and you still have to deal with a $20-40 transfer fee. I also don't want to buy used because people generally don't get rid of things if they are happy with them, and this will be my every-day-carry for personal defense. I'm not a fan of wheel guns and never have been. I shoot well with an XD so I'll be checking them out too. That was my first choice 2 years ago but my budget sent me home with a Taurus and I fell in love with it. Thatnk for the suggestions guys and keep 'em coming!

Taurus has recently reintroduced their Millenium Series in 40SW and 9mm. Perhaps a .45 is coming soon?

Taurus PT-111 Millennium Pro G2 BL $322.00 SHIPS FREE
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    ( i believe the PT145 is DAO, not DA/SA).
    I think mine was the latest of 3 generations and it was SA on the first shot and if the round didn't fire, you could pull the trigger again DA to try a second time before racking the slide to eject the dud. (Never had to use that feature myself)

I'm surprised to learn the PT145 has been discontinued as it is one of my favorites, its my recliner gun with light on the rail.

I checked and found the same as zonker1986 posted, They went to the .40 cal 2nd Gen, I got the 24/7 .45acp, 2nd Gen, love it, but not for carry.

After a lifelong career in LE and carrying on/off duty, I now want lightweight & very thin (under 0.99 in thick & 22 oz max) for carry, so I ended up with a PF9 with belt-clip, a Colt Defender .45acp with belt clip and a S&W M&P Shield .40S&W with Versacarry clip. All are +P rated & are loaded for 450+ ft-lbs of energy with POI at 20 feet.
    All have 3 in bbls and use bullets for fast expansion for short bbls, such as Speer Gold Dot LE +P GDHP or Hornady Critical Defense, etc.
    They are all 7+1 with an extra mag in my rear pocket, The .45 is IWB only, but the other 2 can go between pants & belt with shirt untucked.....
    Too easy & comfortable with no holsters.

VIP Member
    Taurus moved to a new generation. If you could wait the 145's successor will be available in the future. Since it sounds like this is a more immediate concern the Glock 30s is probably your best bet.

FWIW I believe the HK USPc 45 is the best handgun ever produced. I refuse to buy a new HK for politicak reasons and used ones are next to impossible to find. One day I will find a way to make it work though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk 2
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Shouldn't be too hard to find at a local gun show.

Tomorrow: Pine Top and Prescott Valley. Kingman next week. http://www.gunshowmonster.com/gunshows/Arizona.html

I have the taurus pt111 millennium pro 9mm. I've had it almost a year and I'm happy with it. Sounds like it hasn't changed much (if any) from the features you named off except the fact this is a 9mm.

Administrator
    Go to Gunbroker.com - I can guarantee that there will be some "FACTORY NEW" ones listed for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Probably anything by Jimenez, or maybe Hi-Point?

Sorry...but I really wish I could like a post 1,000,000 times in a row. That was fun E
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Links