Looking for summer carry

This is a discussion on Looking for summer carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I have begun my search for a good summer carry pistol. So far I am looking at the following in 9mm: Kahr CW9 ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Looking for summer carry

Looking for summer carry

Hi all,

I have begun my search for a good summer carry pistol. So far I am looking at the following in 9mm:

Kahr CW9
    Ruger LC9
    S&W Shield
    S&W M&P9c

I want something slimmer than my G19 (not sure if the M&P9c meets this) but my requirements are:

Slim profile
    Grip I can get all my fingers on- so no "stubbies"
    Shootable - not so light that recoil affects follow-up speed
    Reliable
    Weight - not an issue but I would rather go heavier rather than feather weight.
    Accurate to at least 25 yds.

I have handled all of the above but not shot any of them. I am in south Texas so will be wearing only a shirt most of the year.

If you have experience please provide pros / cons.

TIA

2. Remove Ads

Looking for summer carry

So I am a novice, so this might be stupid advice but... I just bought a Sig P239. From handling it as the G19 at the store, it seems a bit slimmer (maybe just because it's not quite as square on the edges).

It's heavier, I believe more so than the G19 and I've found recoil to be pretty much a non-issue. It's worth looking at! Hope that helps!

Btw, I have only handled the Kahr on your list and could not fit all my fingers on it.

Thanks RobK.

I tried wearing just a shirt this summer but my wife vowed to disown me, so I put on some pants too!!!

The cw9 I found snappy. I could get a great grip on it, but it wasn't like shooting a g19. You might want to look at a k9 as well since its stainless steel. But the weight of the cw9 would make much easier for carrying. I don't know why, but when it gets hot for me, iwb holsters get much more uncomfortable. I can't really put my finger on why.
    Stevew likes this.

VIP Member
    Out of your list, the S&W 9c...

But don't ignore the G19 or 26...

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post

Just FYI, in my OP I stated I have a G19. Not interested in baby Glocks at all...grips too short...but thanks for the input.

Hey, I'm king of my castle...

Anyway, I would get the K9 but too expensive for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post

I second this. The S&W 9c is a smaller version of a tried and true full sized duty weapon. It will shoot well and be really reliable.

The rest of you list is... ummm... let's say I'll pass (I've owned and sold three pistols on your list)

Look into the G26 as well. It hides well behind just a t shirt all summer.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I second this. The S&W 9c is a smaller version of a tried and true full sized duty weapon. It will shoot well and be really reliable.

The rest of you list is... ummm... let's say I'll pass (I've owned and sold three pistols on your list)

Well, maybe you could provide details...

Look into the G26 as well. It hides well behind just a t shirt all summer.
    Also:

Just FYI, in my OP I stated I have a G19. Not interested in baby Glocks at all...grips too short...but thanks for the input.

I have fired all on your list and carried for 40 years in LE and still do. In 4 decades, I never needed more than 3 rounds from my sidearm.

The S&W M&P Shield in 9mm would probably suit you the best ($430. delivered from GB) It is 0.95 inches thick and a hefty 19 ozs empty and comes with 7 & 8 round mags.... the 8 rounder will hold your pinky & the 7 makes a good spare.
    You can carry it with a "Versacarry" (see YouTube) clip ($21.) and forget the holster to keep it thin. I have one in .40, but I like some extra wallop.

The Ruger (non +P) & Kahr (over-priced) offer no real advantages, IMHO.
    The M&P9c would be my 3rd choice.
    One of my favorites is the PF9 ($370. delivered from GB) with optional belt clip for holsterless carry & concealment, I have 2, a 1st Gen and a 6th Gen, they have been flawless.
    The 6th Gen PF9 has a metal mag release &/or factory Ceracoating (no pinky room on the PF9s).
    The ones I recommended are all 3 in bbls & rated for +P Duty ammo as well and will conceal under shorts & a T-Shirt easily.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I have owned and or shot all the ones you mentioned except the Kahr. My wife currently carries the Ruger LC9. Very accurate little pistol and she really likes it. She picked it because she could manipulate the slide the easiest. The LC9 has a very long trigger pull but with practice it is manageable. I personally don't care for the magazine disconnect.

I purchased a Shield several months back. After a few months of ownership, I decided to sell it. It was accurate, easy to shoot and carried well. I just simply prefer the sub compact Glocks. FWIW, I found the LC9 more accurate than the Shield for me.

Got a friend with the M&P 40c and it is a really nice pistol and is probably the best pistol of the group....BUT....IMO the Shield or LC9 will conceal much better.

Wish I knew more about the Kahr line as I'm really considering a CM9 for spring/summer/fall carry. Same friend that has the M&P 40c had a Kahr PM40 and his luck was not very good with it. Certainly has me a little gun shy with the Kahr's.

Just a thought, but you might consider the Beretta Nano.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Summer's over so you have a long time to make your final choice. There are some CZs you might be interested in like the CZ75 P01 Compact, the P07 Duty, etc., the TriStar C100, etc. There's a whole slew of pistols that may appeal to you. Your best bet may be to visit a few shops and gun shows. Put them in your hand and see what impresses you and what displeases you. Ask to dry fire any you are seriously interested in, they may oblige.

First off, it will open a lot of possibilities for deep concealment pistol options if you force yourself to learn to shoot
    the subcompacts with abbreviated grips. I bought my first Glock 26 in 1995, the first year they were introduced in the U.S.,
    and it took me a while to learn to adjust my grip to accomodate the short grip on the G26. All it takes it practice, but it will
    never be as comfortable as a full size pistol with a larger grip, but that's the price you pay for carrying a gun that you can conceal pretty much in any type clothing.

If you are looking for a pistol that is thinner than your Glock 19, the SWMP 9C is out. Same width since they both are double stack mag pistols. All the single stack 9mm's I mention below are around .9" in width which makes them ideal for carrying
    concealed. A few (Kahr CM9 and Keltec PF9 are small enough that I can carry comfortably in my right front pants pocket)

I own an M&P 9mm Shield, and its a dandy gun to carry. Very thin but still retains the shootability of the larger M&P's.
    Two of my most carried single stack guns are my Keltec PF-9's and my Kahr CW9 and Kahr CM9. Kahrs require a proper break
    in to be 100 percent and have long revolver-like triggers, and the PF-9 is a snappy little beast weighing just 12 oz unloaded. Its a bear to shoot, but a pistol that is small enough to always have with you.
    An 8+1 9mm single stack that you might consider is the Bersa BP 9CC. Dimensions of the Bersa are identical to the SW Shield
    with the extended 8 round mag. Shield comes with a 7 round flush fitting mag, and I picked up a couple of the 8 rounders for extrax.

Bersa BP9CC with a Glock 26 with 12 round Glock factory mags with pinky extension.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Summer's over so you have a long time to make your final choice. There are some CZs you might be interested in like the CZ75 P01 Compact, the P07 Duty, etc., the TriStar C100, etc. There's a whole slew of pistols that may appeal to you. Your best bet may be to visit a few shops and gun shows. Put them in your hand and see what impresses you and what displeases you. Ask to dry fire any you are seriously interested in, they may oblige.
    Ha! Summer's not over here, it's still in the 90's. We only get a couple of months of somewhat cold weather.

Zonker1986, Thanks for the detailed post and not to be stubborn, but I have absolutely no interest in sub-compacts with short grips...especially Glocks.

+1 for the Shield......very easy to carry and conceal and excellent shooter, as well.
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links