Bobtail 1911 help

Bobtail 1911 help

This is a discussion on Bobtail 1911 help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking and want a commander 1911 with a bobtail. If I buy something used like a mil-spec springer or a decent RIA, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bobtail 1911 help

Bobtail 1911 help

I have been thinking and want a commander 1911 with a bobtail. If I buy something used like a mil-spec springer or a decent RIA, would it be too expensive to have a gunsmith bobtail it or am I better off just saving up a bit and just buying something like a dan wesson guardian or vbob?
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I'm sure you could bobtail a RIA or GI Springer cheaper than you could buy a DW...but would you stop there. Would you also want an upswept grip safety, upgraded sights, trigger work, etc. which in the end would cost you more than just buying what you want.

Have you ever held a bobtailed 1911? Shot one? I don't care for them personally, but they should carry a little better. I think most people buy them because they look cool.

My advice, keep saving until you have enough $ to buy or build what you want. It it were me, I'd buy a Colt XSE Commander and call it a day. You do what's right for you.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I have held a bobtailed 1911. Haven't had a chance to shoot one though. I have a commander length 9mm Kimber pro carry, and I like it a lot, but that grip handle prints a lot more than I would like it to. Thought maybe this might be the answer. I wouldn't mind starting with a colt seeing as how I don't have any, but colt doesn't make a bobtailed gun that I am aware of.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

mkh
    I would take a look at a Sig Carry Nightmare - 1911Carry Nightmare

Great bobtail and a great gun

Sounds like a bobtail is right for you.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have a SIG C3 which has a commander length barrel and officer's grip. It's a pretty nice carry gun. Prints less than the full length grip of a Commander but has the longer barrel of a commander so it isn't as fussy about ammo as the shorter barrel versions.

Similar 1911's are made by a few other companies. The Bill Wilson carry special is a steel frame bob tailed 1911 with officer's grip length and commander barrel, but way too expensive for me (it costs about 5-1/2 Glocks or 3 SIG C3's). The SIG C3 was pushing the limits of cost.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I bought a bobtail a long while back. I got the original, a very early Ed Brown.

I admit I sort of bought it because they looked cool, but I have also really enjoyed shooting it, and would totally consider getting another in a heartbeat. I was quite surprised how comfortable it was for me.

Before that I had (still have) several Officer length grip pistols including a Colt Officers, a Wilson Combat and a Para Ordinance P13, and I like those too. they fit my hand well.

I think the shorter grip conceals better, but the bob also works as advertised and conceals better than a full size grip.
    NRA Life Member

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I have a SIG C3 which has a commander length barrel and officer's grip. It's a pretty nice carry gun. Prints less than the full length grip of a Commander but has the longer barrel of a commander so it isn't as fussy about ammo as the shorter barrel versions.

Similar 1911's are made by a few other companies. The Bill Wilson carry special is a steel frame bob tailed 1911 with officer's grip length and commander barrel, but way too expensive for me (it costs about 5-1/2 Glocks or 3 SIG C3's). The SIG C3 was pushing the limits of cost.

Fitch
    I have the RCS which is the same as the C3 but dehorned/melded for better concealed carry. I like the blending of an officer frame with a commander slide - what Colt calls a CCO.

I have been carrying a springfield armory GI 1911 for several weeks now. I am going to upgrade the sights and put a beavertail grip safety and commander hammer in it, but that is it. After researching what was available from the different manufacturers, and what it would cost to have all the work done on my gun, it was not justifiable to spend a lot of money. In the end I was looking at around $500 dollars, but I ended up getting half the work done for free by SA. Depending on the platform you are looking at, a RIA can be had for the wallet friendly range of $600 with everything..... or you can go Sig, Kimber, colt, etc, and spend a little more. either way, IMO it would make more sense to save up and buy what you want.... If you want to build a custom gun, thiat may be a different story
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Distinguished Member
    I really like my DW Guardian. Carries and shoots great. The Sig that mkh mentioned looks great too. Might be my next gun. I would guess that with the price of the gun and then the mods you would be close to the price of a factory Bobtail. If you like a particular model not offered in a Bobtail then get some prices from reputable gunsmiths of the mods you would like.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I have a Kimber Super Carry Custom government size 1911 that has an alloy frame and bobtail. It is more comfortable to carry and easier to conceal than my other 1911s.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

A Commander length 1911 with a shortened frame (ie, CCO format) might well be just the ticket for you, if you find that the butt-end of the Commander frame prints too much for your liking.

My preference is for bobtail, as well. I dislike how badly the sharp corner at the base of the backstrap on Officer-sized frames digs into the heel of my hand. On Commander sized frames, it's much less of an issue, but I still prefer the feel of the bobtail shape down there.

FYI, not all models of all guns support easy conversion to bobtail. Such as the STI 1911's. Couldn't find a single gunsmith who could do this on the STI Shadow .45, and didn't check this aspect prior to acquiring it. Evaluate the frame material, availability of parts, availability of one or more gunsmiths who can do the conversion job. Or, acquire a bobtail model. DW might even be able to bobtail their CCO for you.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    A Commander length 1911 with a shortened frame (ie, CCO format) might well be just the ticket for you, if you find that the butt-end of the Commander frame prints too much for your liking.

My preference is for bobtail, as well. I dislike how badly the sharp corner at the base of the backstrap on Officer-sized frames digs into the heel of my hand. On Commander sized frames, it's much less of an issue, but I still prefer the feel of the bobtail shape down there.

FYI, not all models of all guns support easy conversion to bobtail. Such as the STI 1911's. Couldn't find a single gunsmith who could do this on the STI Shadow .45, and didn't check this aspect prior to acquiring it. Evaluate the frame material, availability of parts, availability of one or more gunsmiths who can do the conversion job. Or, acquire a bobtail model. DW might even be able to bobtail their CCO for you.
    This is exactly my issue as well. While on my officer sized Kimber, I can still get a good grip, that sharp point irritates me and prints excessively on clothing. I asked several gunsmiths about just bobtailing my alloy Kimber, and Dave Severns said that it was an anodized frame and would have to be reanodized after bobtailing and would be much more expensive than a steel counterpart.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I have the RCS which is the same as the C3 but dehorned/melded for better concealed carry. I like the blending of an officer frame with a commander slide - what Colt calls a CCO.
    The RCS is a very nice pistol. I've handled one. If the store'd had an RCS when my bride was in the mood for a 1911, I'd have gotten it. Might still do so. As it was, they had the C3 and it's turned out to be a good one.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    This is exactly my issue as well. While on my officer sized Kimber, I can still get a good grip, that sharp point irritates me and prints excessively on clothing. I asked several gunsmiths about just bobtailing my alloy Kimber, and Dave Severns said that it was an anodized frame and would have to be reanodized after bobtailing and would be much more expensive than a steel counterpart.
    There are bobtails, of course, the ones with the pronounced v-cut down there.

But then there are more-curvy backstraps. With a bit of judicious shaping on the frame by a competent gunsmith (on a steel 1911 frame), you could end up with a fair example that's missing the sharp edge but without the cost of the true v-cut bobtail.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links