Shot my new LCP for the first time today

This is a discussion on Shot my new LCP for the first time today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While my XDs .45 is out for the recall, I took the opportunity to buy an LCP. I wanted to get at least a 100 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Shot my new LCP for the first time today

While my XDs .45 is out for the recall, I took the opportunity to buy an LCP. I wanted to get at least a 100 FMJ's through it, and some defense rounds as well before I even considered carrying it to make sure it functioned properly and break it in a bit, and today I got the opportunity to do just that.
    To make it simple: I freakin' love it!
    There are a great deal of posts around the web that talk about how it is uncomfortable to shoot because it is too "snappy" or they couldn't even get through a box of 50 for the same reason. I didn't have that problem, and it's not like I have giant meaty hands or anything either. As a matter of fact, it really didn't seem to have that much recoil at all, but maybe that's just me. I'll admit, after the first two shots I noticed that the pad of my finger felt a pretty decent sting, but after I adjusted my grip and how I pulled the trigger, it was not a problem at all. I went on to shoot 100 target rounds and it functioned flawlessly. At 20', I had no problem hitting the center of the target with about 4" or 5" groupings, and since this is a close-quarters kind of gun, that is good enough for me to feel perfectly safe with it. I also tested two and a half magazines worth of Federal Hydra Shok JHP, and they shot through without a problem. (Yes I know, the Hydra Shok is not considered to be particularly good, but it is the only 380 JHP I could find locally, and I will gladly carry it until I can find some of the higher rated Hornady Critical Defense).
    Ultimately, I thought it was fun as hell to shoot. If I had had another box of 380 on me, I would have happily shot all of those too. I definitely want to get another 200 through it to really break in the parts, but I feel very happy to have this little guy on me while my XDs is out, and I have a feeling this may become my primary carry weapon.

So I wanted to share my two cents that if you are considering buying an LCP, but are wary of the negative reviews or complaints, rest assured that this is very fun and easy to shoot, very easy to strip down and clean, light as a feather, and beautifully concealable in your pocket. I know every LCP has it's own personality, but mine worked PERFECTLY. If you do find it kind of snappy, you could always get one of the rubber sleeve grips which I hear work nicely, but for me it isn't necessary and the less bulk the better. Forget about all the posts you find around the web from guys who grunt and scoff about how they would never even consider carrying anything less than a 9mm or 45 for concealed carry. As they say, carrying something is better than carrying nothing, and the LCP is WAY better than nothing. Unless you plan on getting in a gun fight with a car load of armed gang bangers, this will be MORE than enough to deter any muggers, rapists, road ragers, fight pickers, and most aggressors you might, but hopefully never run into.
    I welcome your feedback! Thanks everyone!
    Hopyard likes this.

My experience is the same as yours. For an easy to conceal, reliable carry gun, it's tough to beat the LCP.

I'm glad you're happy with yours. It's a great little pistol.

Congrats. Your loving it is all that matters. Do you think you'll be getting the laser for it?

I doubt I will get a laser, mainly due to the extra bulk it would add. I am in love with how small it is and will probably keep it that way. I might get a laser for the Xds someday though.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I like mine with a twenty dollar pocket holster.

I don't have an LCP but I have two friends that do, I have shot them both and love them, the recoil is very manageable and follow-up shots are easy. One day I will own my own.

I love mine. Nothing conceals like the LCP. Is very manageable but for pure fun I'll shot my P229s. If someone doesn't think .380 is enough for SD, stand down range then tell me that.

Nope. No love for my LCP here.

Hate your LCP?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot View Post
    I love mine. Nothing conceals like the LCP. Is very manageable but for pure fun I'll shot my P229s. If someone doesn't think .380 is enough for SD, stand down range then tell me that.
    Big difference between lethality and stopping power. A .22 can kill if you had enough time to bleed out. But that .22 and the lethargic .380 has pretty low chances to stopping a BG. The LCP is a shoot and run gun; you'll be out of ammo and a block away sprinting like Carl Lewis while calling 911... and the BG may still be chasing you with 6 holes in his torso. [/sarcasm]

A .45 ACP on the other hand...

Had some fun with my LCP today,( or yesterday, it is after midnight here). The CT laser does not add much bulk and does not interfere with a pocket holster.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Big difference between lethality and stopping power. A .22 can kill if you had enough time to bleed out. But that .22 and the lethargic .380 has pretty low chances to stopping a BG. The LCP is a shoot and run gun; you'll be out of ammo and a block away sprinting like Carl Lewis while calling 911... and the BG may still be chasing you with 6 holes in his torso. [/sarcasm]

A .45 ACP on the other hand...
    "Shoot and run gun" I'd define as anything with less than:

6 rounds of .357 magnum
    8 rounds of .45 ACP
    13 rounds of 9mm
    16 rounds of .380

So, pretty much any "carry gun." Of course, if one can reload quickly...
    DetChris likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I've had an LCP for 4 years now. It's not my first choice, but I've never gone unarmed when I wanted to be armed since it followed me home. It went back for the recall so I have an extra magazine for it. I have the little grip enhancement mag extension on all the mags for it. The gun was flawless before the recall and it's been flawless since.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Djpxd View Post
    rest assured that this is very fun and easy to shoot
    I LOVE my LCP and carry it quite a bit and agree that it is enough to deter the list of folks you mentioned but as far as being "very fun" I would have to say that your idea of fun and my idea of fun varies by quite a bit :)
    DetChris likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Great little pocket option.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links