Trying to decide what to do tomorrow.

This is a discussion on Trying to decide what to do tomorrow. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok heres the deal. Its the wife and my 25th wedding anniversary. Today she got her "silver" ehh sort of actually its nickel plated gift ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Trying to decide what to do tomorrow.

Ok heres the deal. Its the wife and my 25th wedding anniversary. Today she got her "silver" ehh sort of actually its nickel plated gift from me in the form of a new derringer bug "hideout" in 9mm and 150 rounds of ammo. Shell get dinner too but I will get a bite of that too lol.

Now to the question. She has a new SR9 edc, and now the 9mm derringer "silver anniversary gift" ok so its nickel, its close and she loved it.

She can shoot 40 sw fine but in smaller guns it does beat her small hands up a bit and in our 50s i dont want to hurry up arthritis or anything on her by hammering her hands and wrists with recoil. So shes firmly in the 9mm camp.

I have a SW40VE. The only 40 cal we own. I like it ok shoot it as well as I do 9mm so thats not an issue. But I can trade the 40 even up for a SW9ve tomorrow if I wish. Identical guns, both flawless operation, etc. Can swap out ammo for ammo as well. Im wondering if it would be easier to just do the trade have the one pistol caliber to deal with as far as semis go, or stay with my 40 sw??

Just dealing with stocking the one caliber would be a plus. But seems like when the drought was on I could at least find 40 in FMJ. And JHP.

I cant say that about the 9mm maybe because more folks shoot it??

Just sort of wondering what you guys thought about going all 9mm in the semis or keeping both calibers. I do plan to start reloading so one caliber might be easier but that is a lil ways off yet though Im saving brass all the time for both calibers.

What you guys and gals think??
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Go with the 9mm and start stock piling. Makes inventory easy!

Congratulations on the 25th! Most excellent!

Congrats on the anniversary! Tell the wife we all say hi.

Personally I feel good having a few different calibers, after the ammo drought - most times I could find SOMETHING I could shoot. But there's a lot to be said for simplifying too. Maybe save up a bit and get an SD9VE also?
    dangerranger and Taurahe like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

As long as you're the only shooter of the 40, then keep it just in case there is another 9mm ammo shortage. You're diversifying. But if you're wife will also shoot it, then swap it for the 9 mm gun. It all depends on what your priorities are. Good luck with your decision and congrats on the 25th anniversary. Not many couples have those any more.

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

I like having several calibers for a variety of firearms. That said, I see no problem with keeping it to all 9MM...congrats on the 25 years.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats on the 25th.

As far as your decision, go with your gut, itll tell you more than we ever could.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Congrats, yeah the 9mm sound good to me also.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Another vote for the 9mm. Whenever someone make a snarky comment about it being underpowered, I just dared them to let me shoot them first. If it is so underpowered, then they have no problem shooting me with their .40, .45, etc..afterward. No one has taken me up on that...weird.

I like having a variety of handgun calibers, so I wouldn't part with my only .40 handgun. It can be a bit of a PITA to keep up with all the different calibers and expensive, but I've yet to come across a handgun caliber I didn't like shooting, so for me it's it worth it.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Thanks for the input so far and the kind words.

Ive had guns all my life but I do take yalls input seriously or wouldnt pose the question. Never hurts to get things mentioned one may not think of himself.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

if i were in your position, i would trade for the 9mm. my reasoning would be to simplify grabbing ammo in a hurry, if it were ever necessary; to make it easier for your wife to shoot your gun in an emergency; to make it less likely that either of you ended up with the incorrect ammo (similar to reason #1).

IMO. a good 9mm SD round is close enough to a good .40 SD round that shot placement would count much more than which caliber you were using. i have confidence in 9mm that way.

one technique i use when there really is no 'right' or 'wrong' choice, is to picture myself some time down the road looking back at my decision: would i be more likely to regret going to 9mm if i went that way, or do i think i'd be more likely to regret keeping my .40, if i made that choice.

also, you don't have to stick with your choice forever. you can always change your mind later. it's just a matter of money.

I have no idea, but Happy anniversary to you and the Mrs.! 25 yrs is becoming a rarity vs the norm. Keep up the good work!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    What did she get you for your Anniversary??

How about she goes out and picks out a little silver(nickel plated) something for you in 9mm and keep the .40?
    If you can afford it, that is what I'd do.

Its heartwarming when you hear about two people in love.
    Either that, or they haven't figured out how to dispose of the body yet!

Congratulations on the anniversary, my wife has put up with my guff for over 26 years!!
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Congrats on 25!

I always lean away from getting rid of and lean toward getting more.....

If already having several in 9mm but only one in .40S&W, I'd do the trade. That is, if you're comfortable going from .40 to 9mm. Simplified inventory, ammo usable across all the different platforms. My preference is for 9mm, of all the basic "carry" calibers, so it'd be a simple choice for me. Might even be able to unload some of the .40 ammo for a bunch of spare mags, or discount on the trade.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links