Colt New Agent DAO

This is a discussion on Colt New Agent DAO within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my 1911 search, I've become interested in the New Agent in DA only. I know it's not a 1911, but does anyone have any ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By CherokeeSlim
  • 1 Post By Smarshe
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By bigmacque

Thread: Colt New Agent DAO

Colt New Agent DAO

In my 1911 search, I've become interested in the New Agent in DA only. I know it's not a 1911, but does anyone have any experience / opinion on one?

2. Remove Ads

I carry the Colt New Agent SA in .45. I've seen pictures of the DAO but have never actually seen one on a LGS or show.
    Cherokee Slim
    Smarshe, blitzburgh and Stoveman like this.
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    it is derived from the Defender. itself a great gun that was my primary carry for ~10 years.

because SA is often more costly to defend in court I changed to a Sig p239/40 in DS/SA.
    had the Agent been offered back when, hands down, i'd of gone with it.

as an aside...the defender was advertised as 1.5" accurate at 25 Yards...and it was.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    it is derived from the Defender. itself a great gun that was my primary carry for ~10 years.

because SA is often more costly to defend in court I changed to a Sig p239/40 in DS/SA.

as an aside...the defender was advertised as 1.5" accurate at 25 Yards...and it was.
    Thank you. I'm really torn between the Defender, and the New agent in either SA or DA.

To be honest,I want an 1911 just because, I want one. And I will probably get one because of the looks, history ect..
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CherokeeSlim View Post
    I carry the Colt New Agent SA in .45. I've seen pictures of the DAO but have never actually seen one on a LGS or show.
    Cherokee Slim
    Tell me about the SA New Agent.

I herd of a Colt DAO but never saw one. Did they ever actually sell any?

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    Not sure. Maybe not.

The only problem that I see with the SA model is the person who complains that that it's not accurate enough to shoot 6" steel plates at 50 yards or something like that. Mine never jams. It feels lighter than my G36 that I rotate it with. What it isn't is a target gun. It's like a J Frame or other short barrel gun. It's made for concealment, and short range shooting. I had the option of buying a Defender when I bought the New Agent several years ago and decided that I wanted more to conceal and less to shoot targets. I can do that with my 1911s and other pistols. You wouldn't use a 30-06 rifle for squirrels or a Ruger Mark I for bison. Different tools for different jobs.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post

Really? Got some sort of basis for that statement other than your brother's uncle said so?
    bigmacque and Taurahe like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    +1, I'm curious about the remark regarding defense of an SA as well.
    Taurahe likes this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Have one, and a Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Smarshe View Post
    In my 1911 search, I've become interested in the New Agent in DA only. I know it's not a 1911, but does anyone have any experience / opinion on one?
    I have a Defender and a New Agent. I like the New Agent's sleeker profile, but after having shot both and experiencing problems (mostly spent casings to the face on extraction) and shooting the New Agent (it bites into the hand because it doesn't have a beaver tail grip safety like the defender. Also the wood grips are a little hard.

I decided that my concealed carry mode with either could tolerate rubber grips, and extended slide release, and a beavertail grip safety.

Colt won't tell you, but the Beaver Tail grip safety they have and sell for the Defender fits and operates in the New Agent Perfectly. I only had to paint it
    using Lauer Custom Weaponry's DuraHeat flat black, thankfully the New Agent already had a bobbed hammer.. I also installed the Defender Hogue grips on it and a Wilson Combat extended slide release. I love both guns now and they shoot great, but there was still the problem of the extractor causing the casing to hit my head nearly every time.

I researched and finally came on Jack Weigand's extractor tensioner tool and extractor tension gauges for 1911 type 45s and 38s. On checking the Defender and the New Agent, there was almost no tension (less than 5-10 Oz). Weigand's video said a 1911 platform should be about 25-28 Oz. I used their tool to adjust the tension on both and after two tries on each, got it in the range they suggest. They do not slam me in the face with a spent casing any more.

Although, I'm wondering just exactly how Colt sets their extractors, if at all. One would expect that a couple thousand dollars for two guns, they'd do more than slap in an extractor out of the bin without doing anything.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    Yes they did, and it is still offered.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

And if a DAO 1911 variant appeals to you, don't forget the Para Ordinance LDA Series. Me, I prefer the SA of a conventional 1911 because the DAO reset is so l-o-n-g.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links