Makarov fans... talk me into this..

This is a discussion on Makarov fans... talk me into this.. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Found one today listed for $199.00 that looks fairly minty from the distance of the top glass of the case to the bottom. No, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makarov fans... talk me into this..

Makarov fans... talk me into this..

Found one today listed for $199.00 that looks fairly minty from the distance of the top glass of the case to the bottom. No, I did not have them take it out and examine it because, I knew nothing about them so what would be the point? I would not have known what to notice or not. Just recognised the name and seen some fans hung around here. So I am currently studying the differences and how to ID them before I go back and see if its still there. All I noticed that I can tell you right now is that it was a 9X18 so that would be a caliber I might be interested in having. Although sounds like too much of a pain in the butt.... Tell me more if you will.

I was actually there doing my once around the gun stores looking for a Seecamp thing. Always got my eye out for something. Unfortunately this fills not that niche in size.
    Last edited by cphilip; December 5th, 2006 at 06:12 PM.

2. Remove Ads

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu16.htm

There is what the Box O' Truth guys say about em. If you will look, there are really two major styles of "Makarovs" going around right now. The all black one is an Eastern Block Makarov, and the bi-tone is a Polish PA-63. The supply of Eastern block ones getting imported seems to of dried up a bit in the past few years, but three years back my brother bought one freshly imported for $120. I know AIMSurplus has had the PA-63's for as low as $130, but in gun stores/shows around here they seem to be around the $150-160 range. The 9X18 is usually considered a equal to or a step up from the .380 cartridge when it comes to self defense. As far as for carrying options, they fit right into that PPK, Bersa .380 niche being that they are all about the same size and look similar. They can be kinda heavy for their size, but that will also help with recoil on them. Hope this helped ya
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I saw an E German Mak priced right at a local shop. If still there on pay day I might get it..

This one was all Black. Thats all I could tell. I wouldn't have even known it was 9X18 if it had not had that on the tag. How avialible is that ammo though? Did appear about the same size as a PPK or something. Unfortunately it is similar in size to several carrys I already have so thats a down side if it fitting into my aresnal.

I been nosing around this site some this evening.

http://www.makarov.com

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    My everyday "blaster" Bulgarian Mak

And it's Polish Cousin the P-64

Both made out of High Quality Commie Steel
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Hey... I do seem to recall it had black grip panels but that may not mean much...

I also recall seeing some sort of OD green canvas (I think) sort of old style Holster laying up in front of it. I assume probably went with it because it had that older shape and look to it that is so common in military commie crap. Does that mean anything to anyone?

Assistant Administrator
    Mine is a Bulgy import but Russian marked - came with the brown grips but also a pair of black - which I fitted.

Back then the Bulgy at gun show was $149 but this one was just over $200. Nice lil gun and mine digests Russian Wolf, or Silver Bear it may be. They have become a bit more hard to find and prices have gone up as a result but - if this one you have seen is indeed pretty fresh then tho the price is perhaps on high side - still worth considering.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    First of all let's differentiate between the Makarov round and the Makarov pistol. The 9X18 round is known as the Makarov round and there are several pistols that have been made to fire this round beside the Makarov pistol. The Hungarian PA-63 and the Polish P-64 are the best known. The Makarov pistol was originally made in Russia and eventually was made in three other countries, Bulgaria, China, and East Germany (some were produced in unified Germany, but used older East German equipment).

The true Makarov pistols have parts that are interchangeable between the ones made in the four countries. The one exception to this is the double stack Russian model that holds 12 rounds. Parts from other pistols that fire the Makarov round do not interchange. The East German is reputed to be the best of the real Maks. The surface of an EG Mak is very smooth and the finish is glossy. The Bulgarian Maks are excellent. The finish on Bulgies may be glossy or matt. Russian Maks are usually very good, but the surface tends to be not as good as EGs and Bulgies. I really know nothing about the Chinese Maks.

I have had two Maks one Bulgarian .380 and a Russian 9X18. I just traded the Russian because I needed to reduce the number of calibers I was using.

Bulgarian

Russian

About the best source of info on Maks is: makarov.com
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I want a Makarov real bad. At the last gun show, there were several at a cheap price. Unfortunantly I'm looking for .380 and they were all chambered in 9X18.

VIP Member
    It appears that the .380s are getting hard to come buy. I saw 3 at a gun show on Saturday and all were 9X18 as was the one I traded. I don't remember when I last saw a .380. As I think about it the only one I remember seeing is the one I bought at a gun show in January. All the others I have seen were 9X18.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Dr. CMG, are the adjustable sights standard on Russia makarovs? All the bulgarian ones I have ever seen/ handled tend to just have shallow G.I. style sights.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Dr. CMG, are the adjustable sights standard on Russia makarovs? All the bulgarian ones I have ever seen/ handled tend to just have shallow G.I. style sights.
    True surplus Russian Maks have the fixed sights. These type have on Russian writing on them and are not commonly seen. The new production Maks were made to export and they have the adjustable rear sights. EG, Bulgy, and Chinese Maks have the fixed sights. Having used both the fixed sights are as good as the adjustable that are on the Russian. The best thing you can do for Mak sights is to get some sight paint and paint the back of the front sight. I did that on both of mine and you can pick up the front sight so much easier with just a dab of paint on the back.
    George

I bought a .380 Makarov made in Russia around 3 years ago. I have fired hundreds of rounds of all types of ammo through it with great performance and fine accuracy. I carry this gun when not carrying my Kimber .45. I like the idea of the decocker, double action first shot of the Mak. If you put the +P rounds in it it comes close to a 38 special +P and you can also use Glasser rounds and XTP in it as well as Hydra shok ammo. It shoots all of them without fail. It is heavy for a small gun but points well and has little kick. I would buy another one and this is my second Mak. The first one was stolen.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

i picked up a polish p-64 with four mags (one with matching numbers) for $100 this summer. this gun has been one of the best deal that i have got in years. it is a real shooter, no matter the ammo. i got some rcbs dies and this winter will work up some reloads and test them out. for carry i feel the 9x18 is one step up over the 380 and one small step down from the 9mm. but some of the ammo i have shot seem to be hotter than some 9mm ammo. for a throw down gun you can not beat the p-64. it is a gun that you want cry if you drop it and make a mark on it. i have seen other in gun stores and they look like new.

These are my four Maks. No, you cannot have them, I am keeping them. Regards, Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links