Advice wanted: M&P 40c vs. SR40c vs. Glock 27

This is a discussion on Advice wanted: M&P 40c vs. SR40c vs. Glock 27 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The title pretty much says it all. I'm thinking of adding another gun to my carry rotation, and I'm currently considering these three. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Advice wanted: M&P 40c vs. SR40c vs. Glock 27

The title pretty much says it all. I'm thinking of adding another gun to my carry rotation, and I'm currently considering these three. I have done research and have at least some kind of experience with each. I'm just having a hard time deciding. So I'm curious to what you would choose between these three. I am open to outside suggestions, as well.

Some backstory:
    My current carry rotation is an SR9 and an LCR 38. I want to add a "medium" between them, preferably in a new caliber.
    I want to diversify with a new caliber (and possibly a new manufacturer), and I am thinking about the .40 because I like the balance of size and power.
    I have been shooting handguns for about 4 years, though only 1 year of frequent shooting.
    I love my SR9 and shoot it very well.
    I have shot a Glock 23. I shot it well and enjoyed it. Some of the first handguns I ever shot were Glocks. However, I'm not in love with their ergonomics (or lack thereof).
    I have never shot an M&P, but I love the way they look and feel. Best fit and finish of the group, I think.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Bible thumpin', gun totin' Hoosier

Join the NRA

Administrator
    I don't think the m&p is really going to give you much difference in size, like the G27 would. The SR really isn't in the same class as the others mentioned, but you say you already have and are happy with the SR9...
    Considering all things mentioned by you, I think I'd be leaning towards the MnP.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I will say first off i do not have a Glock not that i won't buy one or for any reason ( after some stuff settles down in MD. i may buy one )

But i have a SR9c and love it and i have MP .40 and i must say i love shooting it and carrying it . Power it has also i can carry it all day and don't have any issues with comfort . ( IWB 3:00 )

So MP .40 is my vote
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Since you're a Ruger shooter maybe stick to the SR40c. You're already familiar with Ruger's dizzying array of safeties. Otherwise I'd advice against it.

M&P is a solid choice. My personal preference is the Glock 27. Those two are a toss up depending on which you like to shoot better.

In short G27 > M&P > SR40c. But since you're used to the Ruger SR series, any of the three will do just fine.
    BradL, Tundra5.7 and gatorbait51 like this.

Glock
    gatorbait51 likes this.

My favorite carry pistols are Glock 19/23/32 frame pistols. I dislike subcompacts. My preference is to carry service style pistols, and the 19/23/32 frame is truly an easy to carry and conceal service pistol. What I'm getting at is this: of the ones you listed, I prefer the M&P 40c. It's just enough larger than the 27 to win out. It wins against the SR40c because the M&P doesn't default to having a thumb safety.

Strictly from a recreation standpoint, the only pistols I like better than Ruger SR pistols are 1911s and Walthers. The triggers in SR pistols make accuracy very easy.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Currently own: Beretta PX4 9mm, Glock 23 (Gen 4), Glock 19 (Gen 4) x2

I've recently started to shy away from Glocks because I find the ergos pretty sub par and they don't point very naturally for me. That being said, It's still a FANTASTIC weapon and of the pistols on your list I think the G27 is the way to go. I think they make the best sub compact on the planet.
    gatorbait51 and CSL like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have a MP 9c, but have owned two other .40 MP's. All great guns. Currently have a Glock 19 and would not mind a 23 in the least bit. Got nothing against Ruger, but can't imagine why you'd pick that over a MP 9c, .40c, Glock 19 or 23......
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mdt1911 View Post
    I have a MP 9c, but have owned two other .40 MP's. All great guns. Currently have a Glock 19 and would not mind a 23 in the least bit. Got nothing against Ruger, but can't imagine why you'd pick that over a MP 9c, .40c, Glock 19 or 23......
    The Ruger is on the list because of familiarity, ergonomics, price, and the ability to be used with my current SR9 holsters. To be honest, it's probably the most practical choice for me (actually an SR9c would be even more so). So it remains in the mix. However, I have 2 Rugers already, so I would love to add a different manufacturer to the stable. Thus, the 40c must contend with the Smith and Glock for my decision.

Great stuff, guys. Keep it coming! I probably won't be making the purchase for a couple of months, but it's fun to speculate while I save up the $.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Bible thumpin', gun totin' Hoosier

Join the NRA

By way of background, I have a Glock 22, 19, and 27 as well as an LC9, a Springfield XD in 9mm, and some other stuff. Of all those guns, I consistently shoot the Glock 27 the best. I just like the gun. And the nice thing about .40 cal. is that although it's a little more expensive, you can usually find it at times when finding other calibers is difficult.
    CSL and gatorbait51 like this.

SR40c.
    gatorbait51 and CSL like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I have owned both Glocks and M&Ps. I tend to shoot better with Glocks, and at heart I'm a 9mm guy, however, I did own a .40c and have a fair amount of trigger time with a G27. To me, in MY hands, the M&P compact handles the .40 much better as far as shooting comfort and follow up shots.

Outside of that I consider the two to be a wash on aspects such as reliability etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    CSL likes this.

Do you already own anything in .40?
    Reason I ask is because, typically, I didn't shoot .40 too well in most platforms.
    9mm? .45? No problem!
    For me the best thing to do was to get out of .40 all together. Now all I run is 9 and 45.
    .40 is almost as much as .45 when it comes to ammo and I think .40 is loosing a lot of steam with civilians and LE agencies alike.

Unless you just want a new toy and money isn't a huge concern of yours I's just stick with you 9mm's. They'll handle just about any job you put them up against.
    Fan45acp likes this.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    My personal pick would be the Glock 27 with the M&P 40c a very close 2nd.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Another vote for the M&P .40 C - My wife carries one daily, I'm a 1911 guy but I have carried it a few times IWB and it's a nice carry and shocked at how well it shoots , coming from a 1911 fan that is a major compliment IMO
    CSL, welder516 and Bad Bob like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links