Defensive Carry banner

New beast: Taurus .44 mag titanum M444

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  APachon 
#1 ·
I've been wanting a moderate sized .44 magnum revolver in titanium since getting my S&W 296 in .44 Special. The 296 is a heck of a pocket gun, but I wanted something that would handle full-power loads if I wanted to or be a real pussycat with .44 specials.

I came across one of the new Taurus 444s at the shop a couple days ago, and finances appeared that made it possible to bring the thing home with me. With .44 mag 240 gr loads, recoil is about as stout as any 4" revolver. With 200gr specials, double-taps were light and pleasant. The 4" barrel is NOT ported, which is a must for me in a gun that I might carry at some point, and it comes with a front fiber optic sight that really is quite visible if there's any daylight at all.

Trigger pull improved remarkably after the first box of ammo and everything settled in.;

At 28ish ounces and six shots, it sure fits the bill for someone who might be looking for a mid-sized carry revolver or be a good field or brush backup gun when hiking. I mostly got it for the latter, but admit that carry at least in winter is tempting as an under-coat gun.

The only downside as a carry gun is it requires two hands to release the cylinder lock as there are two - it's certainly a six shot only under stress without a LOT of practice. The cylinder latches are on the front of the cylinder and on the usual S&W-style rear of the cylinder on the left side, and both must be pulled to drop the cylinder. I suspect this is to ensure that the lockup holds under extreme loads. However, since I just don't carry only one gun, it's not something I'm horribly worried about.

There's something real reassuring about .44 mag power in a lightweight package that's controllable. The fact that it doesn't have the tacky as hell cosmetics of the Raging Bull guns is another BIG plus in my book - I'll carry and shoot an ugly gun, but I expect that I get something out of the equation or pay less for the duckling.

Retail wasn't bad at a hair under $500 with tax. I just wish Taurus would start offering at least plastic boxes on their expensive guns - it's a little silly to put a $500 gun in a cardboard box.

See less See more
#2 ·
rfurtkamp, Nice piece. I'm a big fan of .44 mag. Love my SW 629 4" and have been looking for a lightweight but I heard the new SW 624 lightweight fell apart with 240+ gr loads so I've been waiting for an alternative. Thanks for the review. I've owned taurus before and liked them, gonna have to get this one.

#4 ·
I'll see if a problem emerges.

I've now put close to 200 through it without a hitch, 100 yesterday in 35 degree weather. It was noticeably dirty with some unburned residue, but it all wiped off and nothing ever affected function.

I have a S&W Ti 296 that's eaten over a thousand without problems.

#5 ·
nice .44

Nighthawk, what grips do you have on your S&W 629??? I have a S&W 629 and when I let 200+ rds down range I leave with a nice bruise as the back strap is exposed with the hogues.

~A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.