Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm

Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm

This is a discussion on Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a few 1911s and carry one everyday during the cooler months. Hoping folks who have the Dan Wesson Guardian (9mm) will share their ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm

Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm

I have a few 1911s and carry one everyday during the cooler months. Hoping folks who have the Dan Wesson Guardian (9mm) will share their thoughts and experience with it, especially as a carry weapon.
    Thank you,
    Jim

VIP Member
    Don't have the 9mm, but I sure like my .45. I am sure the 9 would be great also. Hundreds of rounds and not a prob.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    I don't have the Guardian, but do have the DW CBOB, that I wouldn't sell at any price. Best shooting, most accurate gun I've ever owned. If the Guardian is half the gun the CBOB is, it got to be a winner.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jdl2 View Post
    I have a few 1911s and carry one everyday during the cooler months. Hoping folks who have the Dan Wesson Guardian (9mm) will share their thoughts and experience with it, especially as a carry weapon.
    Thank you,
    Jim
    I had one. It was light, comfortable, and reliable but I was not comfortable carrying it. The reason was that the top round one the magazine (excluding the first one) would stick partially out and extend far enough that if I ejected the mag the round would hit the frame and fall out. I talked to Keith from dan wesson and some members from other forums and concluded that the issue is the 9mm OAL chambered in a 1911. This is not to say the gun is unreliable or will experience problems but I am rather uncomfortable carrying something that might allow the second round to come out throughout the day. If you have other questions let me know.

Getem

If you are going to carry a 9mm I'd carry one with more rounds. Although on the other hand with a DW you may only need that one, accurate shot, since it's not how many times you shoot, but where you put the bullets. I have two DW's but in .45.

I too am a Guardian owner, but I too have the .45 version, not the 9mm. I love the gun. It's fairly light, very accurate and downright comfortable to shoot with the bobtail and the .45acp ammo.

Honestly, I never got the single stack 9's. If I'm going to carry a 9mm gun, I'm going to go with a high capacity double stack. But to each his own.

I hope you enjoy your DW, they are excellent guns.

Is the DW a full sized 1911? How does it compare to the SA EMP 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Is the DW a full sized 1911? How does it compare to the SA EMP 9mm?
    The DW Guardian has a 4.25" barrel.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I have wanted one for the longest time, but I doubt I'll get the chance. They're hard to find and the price keeps going up faster than I can save. :(
    Rowe/Higgins 2016!

I have a Guardian in .45 ACP. It has a few additions, a 10-8 performance u-notch rear sight with .140 notch; Wilson Combat bullet proof ambi safety, 25 lpi checkered MSH from Ed Brown; and VZ zebra grips.

As a result, it resembles the DW V-Bob more than anything else, but of course with a lightweight frame.

It is an incredible shooter, carries very well, and is one of my top three edc pistols. I'll never get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
    I too am a Guardian owner, but I too have the .45 version, not the 9mm. I love the gun. It's fairly light, very accurate and downright comfortable to shoot with the bobtail and the .45acp ammo.

Honestly, I never got the single stack 9's. If I'm going to carry a 9mm gun, I'm going to go with a high capacity double stack. But to each his own.
    I hope you enjoy your DW, they are excellent guns.
    We're limited to 7 rds in a mag here in NYS. Nice huh?!
    Jim

9mm Issue

Quote Originally Posted by getem2011 View Post
    I had one. It was light, comfortable, and reliable but I was not comfortable carrying it. The reason was that the top round one the magazine (excluding the first one) would stick partially out and extend far enough that if I ejected the mag the round would hit the frame and fall out. I talked to Keith from dan wesson and some members from other forums and concluded that the issue is the 9mm OAL chambered in a 1911. This is not to say the gun is unreliable or will experience problems but I am rather uncomfortable carrying something that might allow the second round to come out throughout the day. If you have other questions let me know.

Getem
    I have the same issue with a Kimber Pro Carry ll in 9mm. It's a great shooter and very accurate but the round hanging up is very annoying.

I had the Super for a while.

Didn't like the recoil or muzzle blast, or lack of ava .38 super ammo in my area.

If I as more wise, I probably should have went 9mm and I'd still have it.

My Ruger LW CMD is a pussycat to shoot.

Easy trigger for most anyone to get good hit with.

10-round Wilson mags give good capacity in a slim gun.

The Guardian felt far slimmer in my hands.

I like the standard Commanders over the DW BOBtailed versions, as they fit me better.

A DW Valkyrie in either 9mm or .45 might be my next 1911 purchase, but after the P10 C
    or other CZ 9mm.
    www.czforum.com
    FB: CZ 2075 RAMI Owners USA

Senior Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    I never liked the 9mm for SD and I hate to bring this up because it hit too close to home, that POS that shot eleven people on the Fort Lauderdale Air Port last week, had a PPS in 9mm, luckily only five died out of eleven and he had the time to aim and shoot, that is less than 50% for the 9mm and please no flaming I'm very sorry for the poor victims.
    I know Jesus and I talk to God.

Distinguished Member Array Havok's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by casurvivor View Post
    I never liked the 9mm for SD and I hate to bring this up because it hit too close to home, that POS that shot eleven people on the Fort Lauderdale Air Port last week, had a PPS in 9mm, luckily only five died out of eleven and he had the time to aim and shoot, that is less than 50% for the 9mm and please no flaming I'm very sorry for the poor victims.
    Yeah, Im sure every shot was placed center of mass.

Im not trying to insult your intelligence here, but do you understand why people die when they get shot? Where the bullet hits someone, especially with pistol calibers plays a much larger role in its effectiveness than the size. So unless you can back your post up with some information about the injuries that each person sustained, please stop trying to sway someone away from buying, or carrying a great pistol.
    kmckinnon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    The only thing you can have too much of is liberals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links