Glock 26 gen 4 recoil

This is a discussion on Glock 26 gen 4 recoil within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, went to cabelas today and saw a gen 4 Glock 26 for $459, so I put it on layaway. I have a Glock ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Glock 26 gen 4 recoil

Glock 26 gen 4 recoil

Hey guys, went to cabelas today and saw a gen 4 Glock 26 for $459, so I put it on layaway. I have a Glock 23 but realized that I don't care for the snappy recoil, so I only want 9mm and 45....I've seen reports of the snappiness of the Glock 26. I was wondering if anybody has experience with this gun, and how it compares to the Glock 17, as well as the 40 caliber recoil.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

To me the 26 is a very soft shooter for a compact, softer than many full sized 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    To me the 26 is a very soft shooter for a compact, softer than many full sized 40's.
    Not real scientific, and I didn't shoot them side by side, but I noticed the recoil more shooting a Gen 3 G22 than my Gen 4 26. I could shoot the 26 all day and that says a lot about a smallish gun.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Mine is an older model. Can't remember how long I've had it - but unless you are extremely recoil sensitive, and unless the Gen4's are radically different, the 26 is just a fantastically nice smooth shooting gun. I also have a 17 and a 34 and don't really notice much difference in recoil between any of them.

My husband says I'm not recoil sensitive - BUT - I sure do notice when I use .357's in my little S&W 60. OUCH.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

My recommendation after you rent it first is this:

Get a heavier guide rod ( hard to rack but keeps the muzzle down) see Stainless Steel Dual Spring Guide Rod for Glock gen 4 or gen 3 version depending on gun

Second if you have bigger hands get a bevertail so you don't get bit by the slide .

And third either get grip tap or a rubber slip on grip like a tactical grip wrap helps with hold and so on.

And finnaly look at either extended mags or Pearce ext they help with hand hold.

Remember this is a heavier double stack gun so that helps . I hate recoil too . I have yet to fire the 26 glock but I feel with the above it should not be too bad. I can fire a xd sc about the same size as the 26 with no add on no problem so if that tells you anything..

And I agre the only 40s I would fire would be a full size gun .
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The Gen 4s have the new recoil spring that is supposed to reduce the felt recoil. From what I can tell between my gen 3s and my gen 4s, that's exactly what it does.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    My recommendation after you rent it first is this:

Get a heavier guide rod ( hard to rack but keeps the muzzle down) see Stainless Steel Dual Spring Guide Rod for Glock gen 4 or gen 3 version depending on gun

Second if you have bigger hands get a bevertail so you don't get bit by the slide .

And third either get grip tap or a rubber slip on grip like a tactical grip wrap helps with hold and so on.

And finnaly look at either extended mags or Pearce ext they help with hand hold.

Remember this is a heavier double stack gun so that helps . I hate recoil too . I have yet to fire the 26 glock but I feel with the above it should not be too bad. I can fire a xd sc about the same size as the 26 with no add on no problem so if that tells you anything..

And I agre the only 40s I would fire would be a full size gun .

You're recommending modifications to a firearm that you've never shot based on what you've done to a different firearm made by a different manufacturer? No offense, but that's not exactly a great way to give advice.

To the OP, there are a few easy things you can do to control the felt recoil. Start off by making sure you have a good stance and grip that will really help control your pistol when firing (Isosceles stance and thumbs forward grip). Secondly, find some ammunition loaded with 147 gr. bullets. The heavier projectiles are usually better for felt recoil and you should most certainly stay away from the +P and +P+ stuff.

I carry a Gen 4 26 and I can tell you that it's a very manageable firearm given the conditions I stated above. You most certainly don't need to do a bunch of stuff to it, especially if you haven't practiced with it extensively. Practice with a good grip and stance; when you've put a couple thousand rounds through it you'll either know what needs to be changed or you'll be proficient with it as is.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

the baby Glocks have had a dual recoil spring setup since they were introduced in 1995, which is the main reason so many say they shoot the G26/27 better than their full size or midsize Glocks which only had single recoil springs. All the Gen4's including the midsize and fullsize now have the dual recoil springs, so you may not see as much of a difference between your G26 Gen4 and a Gen4 19 or 17.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Get it, shoot it, like it, have fun.....

Great shooting gun. Love mine.

You will love the 26. It can truly be shot all day long, and recoil is pleasant. Not all subcompacts can hold that claim.

I carry a 26 Gen 3 every single day.

Just got one last week, and shot it on Sunday. Recoil is very manageable. Bit I'm used to an XDS (45), so I may be skewed a bit.
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

Even with +P 147G Federal HST's I find the recol with my G26 to be no issue at all. This is coming from a guy that holds being able to make fast follow up shots above just about everything else.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

the g26 has always had a dual recoil spring. the gen 4 probably has the latest and greatest. any doublestack 9mm will conceivably have less recoil than a g23. when you get down to the micro 9mms like the pm9 and pf9,then the 9mm becomes pretty snappy. i have had a gen 3 g26 and currently have a gen 4 g26, the recoil is an absolute non issue...

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Always felt the 26's were soft shooters. FWIW, my Gen 4 Glock 27 does not sting my hand like my Gen 3 Glock 27 did.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Like most have said, I rented the G19 and G26 and I find that the G26 is a soft shooter and I think that you will love it but don't take our word for it go and rent one.
    Glock 19 Gen 4, Glock 30s, Gen4 G27, Gen4 G29
    XDm .45 ACP 4.5
    Remington 870 Tactical Express 18'
    1972-2000 U.S Army Veteran, MSG

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links