All Taurus PT145 or 24/7 owners input needed!

This is a discussion on All Taurus PT145 or 24/7 owners input needed! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone I'm new here but I love the board. I found it on Google searching for random stuff, but anyway. I recently purchased a ...

Thread: All Taurus PT145 or 24/7 owners input needed!

All Taurus PT145 or 24/7 owners input needed!

Hey everyone I'm new here but I love the board. I found it on Google searching for random stuff, but anyway.

I recently purchased a Taurus PT145 Pro for my first concealed carry weapon. It has had it's fair share of problems and its been back to Taurus for repair once already, and its about to go back again. It is the latest generation with the light rail.

The accuracy is really crappy compared to all of the online articles I've read, and another scary thing I've noticed as that after the slide has been racked, the barrel is no longer firmly locked in the slide! It isn't totally loose or anything, but it sits firm until the pistol has been cocked and then after the slide is racked, it loosens up just a bit (enough to hear it wiggling around if you shake the gun).

The slide also isn't very tight on the frame. If the clip is empty or removed, the slide feels loose on the frame just like the barrel. This doesn't happen when the clip is loaded due to the upward force of the bullet pressing against the slide, but this still doesn't satisfy me. I feel like I've been shafted. I know I paid $320 for the gun and some will say I got what I paid for, and I'm starting to feel that way as well. Do you guys think I should send it back to Taurus, or just sell it and be done with it? The Glock models 30/36 look very promising!

2. Remove Ads

sounds too me like you are not a happy camper. if was me i would get rid of it and get something else. LEMONS are everywhere. i have had my PT145 for a while now and have zero propblems, love the gun and caryy it often. i have over 1000 rounds through mine.
    Deer huntin' is a hole in the swamp where i spend my wife's money....

Lead Moderator
    I had a PT140 Kb on me. Taurus fixed it, but I didn't trust it after that. My advice, get a new taurus, (if they will ) or get a different gun you can shoot better and trust.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

New Member Array geerickeyimsorry's Avatar
    I agree with Swamp Rat. I have the exact same gun; light rail and all, and have put nearly 1000 rounds through it. Absolutely NO problems!

Hey Ryan, You said that you have the latest generation with the light rail, but this is how I understand the latest gen is determined:

LH side of gun says "Millenium", RH side says "PT145PRO", and it is equipped with the two-dot Heine sights and light rail.

My latest gen (as described above) has been absolutely perfect in function and as accurate as I could ask for. It is IMO the best CCW pistol out there for the price.

Good luck with yours.

FREEDOM MATTERS!

Mine is as exactly how you described.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...uspt145pro.jpg

I think I am going to send it back to Taurus one more time and go from there. They arranged for FedEx to pick it up at no charge, and they are going to "put a rush" on the repair, according to the customer service agent I spoke to. I was very careful in stating every problem the gun had last time, and it came back just the way I got it, only with a new rear sight installed.. It still light strikes occasionally, it still gets random jams, the accuracy is still very spontaneous. The slide is still loose and the barrel is still loose in the slide. The front sight appears to be defective in that it has not been cut squarely and looks warped or bent.

We'll see how it turns out. If I get it back and the problems have gone away, I'll do a 200+ round torture test and see how it goes. I like the gun, just can't trust it.
    Last edited by Ryan H; December 7th, 2006 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Adding material.

sorry to hear about your problems, sounds like a Wednesday gun. I have owned a PT 24/7 Pro, PT111 Millenium Pro and model 85 SS. Not one problem with any of these guns. Did have a problem with their service dept once, the barrel in my 24/7 Pro had gouges from the milling process I guess. They claimed that I didn't send it to them because they couldn't find it. After I got a copy of the signature they changed their story and were still rude. A lifetime warranty is crap if the people that provide that service are incompetent.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

I am sorry that you are having problems. Early fall I bought a new PT145 Mil Pro and have about 200 rounds through it with absolutely no hiccups. My brother has the older version of the PT in 40 cal which he bought used and love his gun. That's what led me to purchased mines. And the gun has been very accurate.

Just a quick update on this, even though it's old. I sent the gun back to Taurus three times. The last time I sent it back, was for all the same issues. It was never fixed. The gun would constantly light strike, misfeed/jam, and it was hitting really low and to the left. At just 11 yards, it wasn't even on paper!

Taurus sent it back each time, saying something new was replaced. The first time they sent it back, they said the barrel was replaced. The barrel was definately NOT replaced! It was the same barrel that came with the gun. It appeared that they replaced the front sight.

They included a test target, which showed one mark hitting high and to the left, and the rest hitting around the center. The gun still hit high, and to the left after taking it back out to the range. I think whoever shot it at the factory just compensated for where it was hitting.

I sent it back again, mentioning the loose slide/barrel issue and they sent it back saying the barrel and magazine were replaced. Again, nothing appeared to be replaced!

I cut my losses and sold it for $200.

Sorry to hear that. I use one as my BUG and it is a reliable straight shooter. 2000 rounds and only 1 FTF ( in the first 50 rounds during break in)

I love mine. Sorry you got a lemon.

I'm sorry to hear that as well, my 3rd gen PT145 has been a great gun. It's not my favorite range gun, but at 7rds it easily hits COM. Taurii are hit or miss, they either seem to be good guns or garbage, just luck of the draw I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    Just a quick update on this, even though it's old. I sent the gun back to Taurus three times. The last time I sent it back, was for all the same issues. It was never fixed. The gun would constantly light strike, misfeed/jam, and it was hitting really low and to the left. At just 11 yards, it wasn't even on paper!

Taurus sent it back each time, saying something new was replaced. The first time they sent it back, they said the barrel was replaced. The barrel was definately NOT replaced! It was the same barrel that came with the gun. It appeared that they replaced the front sight.

They included a test target, which showed one mark hitting high and to the left, and the rest hitting around the center. The gun still hit high, and to the left after taking it back out to the range. I think whoever shot it at the factory just compensated for where it was hitting.

I sent it back again, mentioning the loose slide/barrel issue and they sent it back saying the barrel and magazine were replaced. Again, nothing appeared to be replaced!

I cut my losses and sold it for $200.
    WOW! Sorry about your lost. Obivously you got one of the lemons when Taurus was going through that poor quality phase I have been hearing about.

Tom Gresham swear by them. I myself has had nothing but success and since my last post I've become a very deadly with mines with consitent head shots at the range. I am very confident as my primary carry gun for now.

Shooter45
    Last edited by Shooter45; May 11th, 2007 at 05:16 PM.
    "It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks." Malcolm X

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    That is too bad. It's a shame stuff like that happens & Taurus couldn't even fix it or come up with "reasonable" options, like replacing the gun.

For me, it's been quite good. After adjusting to the trigger, it's VERY accurate for a SD gun. It's as accurate as my Glock 36, & that's saying alot.

We'll see what happens as the rounds pile up, but between my PT145 Mil Pro & Kahr PM9, I'm one happy camper. & if I get involved with something, & they get taken (Per an investigation), I still have my 36 & S&W 442 to hold me over.

Oh well, you never know. I've heard of people having quite a few problems with Glock 36s, Kahr PM9s, & the PT145 Mil Pro. Thankfully, I haven't had those problems.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Links