40sw in a gun hammered for 10mm

This is a discussion on 40sw in a gun hammered for 10mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can you shoot 40sw in a 10mm ? If not, can someone explain why...... Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By SHTFGearLLC

Thread: 40sw in a gun hammered for 10mm

40sw in a gun hammered for 10mm

Can you shoot 40sw in a 10mm ? If not, can someone explain why......

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

What gun?

Because many guns out there that shoot 10mm have a spare 40 barrel that can allow them to shot 40s&w I know the glocks have them for the 10mm guns. And most 10mm EAA guns have 40 barrels . But from the links below I would not try 40 out of a 10mm withouth a spare barrel unless a dire emegnence or you know the gun was made to do it..

shooting .40 in a 10mm glock - The Firing Line Forums
    The Gun Zone -- 10mm v. .40 S&W FAQ

Sponsor
    That is a negative in a Semiautomatic handgun. With both cartridges, they headspace on the mouth of the brass case (Since they are rimless, straight walled cases). If put a 40 S&W in a 10mm barrel the round will just slide further into the chamber. I suppose if you talking about a revolver where you had moon clips you would get headspacing from the rim so I think it would work (I actually think S&W may have offered such a revolver).

In a semi auto, it would take a conversion barrel with the cartridge specific chamber.

-Clay

You can if you put a barrel with 40 S&W headspace in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    That is a negative in a Semiautomatic handgun. With both cartridges, they headspace on the mouth of the brass case (Since they are rimless, straight walled cases). If put a 40 S&W in a 10mm barrel the round will just slide further into the chamber. I suppose if you talking about a revolver where you had moon clips you would get headspacing from the rim so I think it would work (I actually think S&W may have offered such a revolver).

In a semi auto, it would take a conversion barrel with the cartridge specific chamber.

-Clay
    That's what I figured but wasn't sure.

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    What gun?

Because many guns out there that shoot 10mm have a spare 40 barrel that can allow them to shot 40s&w I know the glocks have them for the 10mm guns. And most 10mm EAA guns have 40 barrels . But from the links below I would not try 40 out of a 10mm withouth a spare barrel unless a dire emegnence or you know the gun was made to do it..

shooting .40 in a 10mm glock - The Firing Line Forums
    The Gun Zone -- 10mm v. .40 S&W FAQ
    RIA 10mm 1911

~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post

-Clay
    +1. What SHT said is absolutely correct.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    It might work and it might not. a 40 in a 10mm barrel "May" get picked by the extractor and will then fire. But now you are head spacing on the extractor and I wouldnt expect that to last long. There were a few Spanish 9mm guns that would chamber and fire just about any 9mm cartrige you could pick up on a battle field. The extractor didnt last long but it worked for awhile. Ive won more than a few lunches that I could fire a mix of 9 Largo, 38 acp, 9 luger, and 380. The trick to that is put the shortest rounds in the mag first. They wont cycle the slide back far enough to pick up another round.

Links