Took my 226 to the range

Took my 226 to the range

This is a discussion on Took my 226 to the range within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let me get this out of the way. It's a good gun. There is nothing wrong with it. It shoots well, it's accurate and from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Took my 226 to the range

Took my 226 to the range

Let me get this out of the way. It's a good gun. There is nothing wrong with it. It shoots well, it's accurate and from the 500 rounds me and my buddy shot it's reliable. Ok, with that being said...

There's 2 things that I am not sure on. One really has nothing to do with gun and the other does.

One - My grip causes the slide to not lock back about 50 percent of the time. And before you ask, yes, I did clean the gun before firing it and paid special attention to the slide release area. This is not fault of the gun. My strong side thumb rides high when shooting and it hit's the lever sometimes. If I mentally concentrate I can keep that thumb down but that's not the way I shoot any of my other guns so I'm not sure I want to have to change my grip to accommodate 1 of my pistols. Again, that is no fault of the gun. It's just a personal thing.

Two - This is where I might catch some flack. I was not impressed with the trigger. I am not saying that it is BAD, I'm just saying that I wasn't impressed for a 800.00 pistol. The double action is great. It's smooth and all that jazz. My issue is with the reset on the single action. I just wasn't impressed. I think it is a lot longer then it should be. What am I comparing that against? I'm glad you asked! My S&W 3913. The reset on my 3913 is so short it's almost non existent and 3rd gen Smiths aren't exactly known for being target guns. I compared it to my G19 and I thought the 226's reset was about the same as shooting the 19 from the reset. IMO that's NOT a single action trigger. The main reason I want a DA/SA trigger is for that short and light SA. I know that I could put a SRT trigger kit in it and shorten it up a bit but here's my issue... I shouldn't HAVE to. I paid a premium price for a premium gun and shouldn't have to turn around and drop another 100 bucks in to working the trigger out.

To be honest I would probably look a lot more favorably on the pistol had I not paid 800.00 for it. I think a quality pistol should run between 5-600 bucks. Anything higher than that I consider to be premium and my expectations go up. IMO I didn't get anything with the 226 that I couldn't get with e CZ-75 for about 300 bucks cheaper. Actually, I have shot a CZ-75 and actually thought the trigger was the same.

Again...PLEASE... I am not hating on Sigs. It's a good gun. There's nothing wrong with it. It just didn't meet my expectations. I seriously think I a going to sell it, buy a CZ-75 and pocket the extra 300 bucks.
    Rock and Glock and Easy8 like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

your experience is another example why i always recommend trying before buying, if possible.

i had a similar experience with my first gun, an H&K P-7, PSP. it was a reliable gun and did everything it was supposed to. i just didn't like shooting it. sold the P-7 after buying my first Sig - a P-229, which i love, and still own 18 years later.

you just never know how you'll react to a new gun that you come to cold. "YMMV" is very true in these cases.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    your experience is another example why i always recommend trying before buying, if possible.

i had a similar experience with my first gun, an H&K P-7, PSP. it was a reliable gun and did everything it was supposed to. i just didn't like shooting it. sold the P-7 after buying my first Sig - a P-229, which i love, and still own 18 years later.

you just never know how you'll react to a new gun that you come to cold. "YMMV" is very true in these cases.
    I agree with the try before you buy. Unfortunately I couldn't find one to rent in my area and none of my friends have one :(
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Lead Moderator
    I didn't think my 226 trigger was too bad till I got a 220 SAO. Think that was one of the best factory best triggers I've ever used.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Anytime I see a thread by Rollo I half expect it to be about a gun breaking. I was going to say I remember seeing a commercial whacking a sig 226 with a baseball bat, how did Rollo manage to break this one? Sorry to hear the trigger isn't everything it should be. The sig 226 is still on my short list of guns I want to buy next.
    ctr likes this.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

The SRT really makes all the difference in the world.

SIG, in my opinion, really ought to make it standard on their guns. But they don't, so I pony up the cash to get one already installed.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    SIG, in my opinion, really ought to make it standard on their guns.
    Yep, I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by bgusty View Post
    Anytime I see a thread by Rollo I half expect it to be about a gun breaking
    You and everyone else around here lol.
    ctr, oneshot and gasmitty like this.

Have shot most of the sigs one time or another. Fav was a older p228 the new M1 is far from that gun. I totally agree with the op's assessment CZ's are 300 to 350 less an have better triggers an ergos IMHO. I shoot them much more accurately out of the box.

I liked the trigger on my P229 until I bought a Walther PPQ M2. The PPQ trigger is fantastic out of the box. Now I'm thinking of selling my 229, buying a PPQ M1 (to go with my P99) and pocketing the difference. I'd make the PPQ M2 my range gun and carry the PPQ M1.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

Distinguished Member Array 1911er's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    My grip causes the slide to not lock back about 50 percent of the time. ... My strong side thumb rides high when shooting and it hits the lever sometimes.
    That alone is enough to part with the pistol.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. But you shouldn't have any problem finding a buyer.

My issue is with the reset on the single action. I just wasn't impressed. I think it is a lot longer then it should be.
    No Kahrs, or DAOs, for you! Or me. I like short resets, too, so pistols like S&W SD9VEs are out of the question. Nope, for short resets there's the Glocks, the Bersa BP9CC and the Walther PPQ. The S&W M&Ps have non-tactile resets, so that is probably out of consideration, too. But you also seem to favour hammer fires, too. And steel frames. If so, then chances are that polymer frame pistols are out of consideration.

Which P226 did you get? The 34 oz.? That's too heavy for me, for a Daily Carry. Maybe a P226 Elite SAO would have been more to your liking. (Too high, for me, though, at 5.5"). It has a different slide release, closer to a 1911. I wonder if your P226 can be easily converted? Not that you would want to - you could just as easily just trade it in on an SAO.

I seriously think I am going to sell it, buy a CZ-75 and pocket the extra 300 bucks.
    The CZ 75 isn't without it's problems, though. And if they are minor you will probably rationalize them away as being acceptable because of the cost savings. Take for example the difference between the CZ75 Compact and the CZ 75D PCR - the safety lever versus the de-cocker lever. You may rationalize the acceptance of the lever because of the weight savings versus the 75C. To me the CZ doesn't feel right in the hand. Give me a BHP, on the other hand, and it feels fine. Heck, chances are that if I put the rubber grips of the 75D PCR on the 75C that it would make a world of difference, to me. Put the CZs in your hand, hold it as if you're firing it, work the controls and see if everything is agreeable before committing. (I'm anal about the mag release, for example. If I have to shift my grip then it is automatically out of consideration.) Also consider the CZ P-07 Duty - it may feel better even though it is a polymer. Some rave about the Omega trigger.

The main reason I want a DA/SA trigger is for that short and light SA. I know that I could put a SRT trigger kit in it and shorten it up a bit but here's my issue... I shouldn't HAVE to. I paid a premium price for a premium gun and shouldn't have to turn around and drop another 100 bucks in to working the trigger out.
    Unfortunately that is exactly what is happening with many pistols these days - Glocks, S&Ws, 1911s, etc; and most revolvers. That situation is better than not having the option to change it at all. Pull the trigger on a BHP and you may feel that the pull is still too long. What would you do then?

Hope you find what you're looking for. Me, I'm down to the PPQ.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    No Kahrs, or DAOs, for you!
    That's the thing though... I don't mind a double action trigger. I just don't want t gun that's SUPPOSED to have a SA trigger that ends up having a reset like a DA :)

I smell a marketing device.

That's the best I can offer after going out this morning for the pheasant opener and getting my Z71 hung up over a steep ditch. What can I say, it's got a cracked frame from teenage angst - too many Dukes of Hazzard style joy rides - so it skids at the end of the steering wheel unlike normal vehicles that follow an arc. I dropped it off into a steep ditch while attempting a three point turn around. The loose gravel sucked one of my rear tires onto the edge and a little juice just sucked the other one over too. Let's try 4 HI... Great! Now we're solidly hung up!

It takes less than 10 minutes for a field crew to drive by and since I'm a lucky guy one of them, a guy that apparently goes by Snake, happens to have an Anaconda sized chain in the back. It's nice to have a a Boy Scout around when you have totally flunked the motto test.

We walked for almost two hours without good scent but for a couple of deer, songbirds and mouses before my little Springer galloped back and gave me the evil eye - she's six years old now so she can do that - she gave me the evil eye and told me that there are no birds around here. The birds are over there, - on the other side of the wind.

That's about all I have to whine about. Fix your trigger, Rollo, and quit whining.

There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    I smell a marketing device.

That's the best I can offer after going out this morning for the pheasant opener and getting my Z71 hung up over a steep ditch. What can I say, it's got a cracked frame from teenage angst - too many Dukes of Hazzard style joy rides - so it skids at the end of the steering wheel unlike normal vehicles that follow an arc. I dropped it off into a steep ditch while attempting a three point turn around. The loose gravel sucked one of my rear tires onto the edge and a little juice just sucked the other one over too. Let's try 4 HI... Great! Now we're solidly hung up!

It takes less than 10 minutes for a field crew to drive by and since I'm a lucky guy one of them, a guy that apparently goes by Snake, happens to have an Anaconda sized chain in the back. It's nice to have a a Boy Scout around when you have totally flunked the motto test.

We walked for almost two hours without good scent but for a couple of deer, songbirds and mouses before my little Springer galloped back and gave me the evil eye - she's six years old now so she can do that - she gave me the evil eye and told me that there are no birds around here. The birds are over there, - on the other side of the wind.

That's about all I have to whine about. Fix your trigger, Rollo, and quit whining.

Huh?
    Rollo likes this.

Rollo's getting too much wind in his trigger.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links