Getting an M&P Shield

Getting an M&P Shield

This is a discussion on Getting an M&P Shield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am on a waiting list at a LGS for a Shield 9mm and was told the shipment should be coming in on Monday or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Getting an M&P Shield

Getting an M&P Shield

I am on a waiting list at a LGS for a Shield 9mm and was told the shipment should be coming in on Monday or Tuesday. And it's not a bad price either at $389!

This will be my first gun (I have some experience putting about 600 rounds through a Glock 17) so naturally I am doing a ton of research on the best holster and other things.

The two things I'm not sure on what to buy right now is a good IWB holster and what to buy for cleaning the guy prior to shooting it for the first time.

A holster I'm looking at right now is the Alien Gear Hybrid Holster for s w M P Shield Leather Kydex IWB | eBay

It looks pretty solid, if not a little thick, and has screws instead of rivets for the kydex part. Anyone have experience with this brand?

Also, I am not sure what to buy for cleaning the gun. I looked on Amazon and found this basic kit: Amazon.com: Hoppe's Cleaning Kit for .38, .357 Caliber 9mm Pistol with Aluminum Rod, Box E/F: Sports & Outdoors

Any opinions on that?
    Kilowatt3 and Bad Bob like this.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As to your questions. Any basic gun cleaning kit will get you started. You might want to look into different lubes. I prefer a Teflon based lube from my guns. It's basically personal preference.

No experience with the holster your looking at. My preference is all leather. Since it uses screws to hold the holster to the backing, I would suggest a dab of blue Loctite on the thread to keep the screws from backing out. Will still be able to disassemble it if needed. DO NOT use Red Loctite. You won't be able to take it apart if you do.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array WannabeaCPA's Avatar
    Great choice of pistol. Bought one after I turned 21. My first pistol that I didn't get from my dad. The cleaning kit is a matter of preference. I use Hoppes no.9 and Rem-Oil for lube. I use a foxx IWB holster for my holster. Don't know much of alien gear.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    Gun control isn't about guns...it's about control. It also makes criminals out of otherwise law abiding citzens.

VIP Member
    Your kit should be fine. I use Hoppes No. 9 solvent to clean the residue, and then plain jane gun oil - Hoppe's Elite. I've had good results with CLP, too, but I'm not fond of the smell.

For IWB, try a Remora or a Sticky holster for a no-frills tuck anywhere. You can also try a N82 - this is a N82 ("Nate Squared" not N-eighty-two") holster for my j-frame. N82 Holster for J-Frame (with pictures) I also have one for my shield and it is very comfortable.

For OWB, I like the winthrops - Liking The New Shield and Wintrhop Holster You can also get one with a leather extension that covers the back of the slide.

Good prices on the Shield, too. I paid 465 for mine, and the LGS's around here are selling them at SW's recommended list price. That's how high in demand they are.
    DBS likes this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

DBS
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Your kit should be fine. I use Hoppes No. 9 solvent to clean the residue, and then plain jane gun oil - Hoppe's Elite. I've had good results with CLP, too, but I'm not fond of the smell.

For IWB, try a Remora or a Sticky holster for a no-frills tuck anywhere. You can also try a N82 - this is a N82 ("Nate Squared" not N-eighty-two") holster for my j-frame. N82 Holster for J-Frame (with pictures) I also have one for my shield and it is very comfortable.

For OWB, I like the winthrops - Liking The New Shield and Wintrhop Holster You can also get one with a leater extension that covers the back of the slide.

Good prices on the Shield, too. I paid 465 for mine, and the LGS's around here are selling them at SW's recommended list price. That's how high in demand they are.
    Everything he said.

I paid 389 for mine yesterday.....best price I found.

And I may invest in that OWB holster from Amazon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ritepath View Post
    I paid 389 for mine yesterday.....best price I found.

And I may invest in that OWB holster from Amazon.
    I've been pleased with it. I usually use a Galco concealable belt holster, but Galco does not make one for the shield. The winthrop works very well and conceals nicely beneath an untucked shirt.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Congrats on the shield .... I love mine. For a cleaning kit any basic kit will do. You can't go wrong with the hoppes kits as a starter kit. They usually come with oil and solvent. I would throw in a 9mm bore snake for quick cleanings without disassembly and call it good.

As far lube goes I like frog lube. It's expensive but smells great and a little goes a long way. If it's not your thing basic oil is fine too.

My carry holster is a foxx holsters little fox. For 35 bucks it can't be best. The alien gear holsters seem ok, but IMO the kydex is too thick making the holster bulkier than it needs to be for iwb carry. I ordered one some time ago and sent it back because of this . Other than ghost seem solid and well made. If you are looking for a hybrid I can personally recommend SHTF gear holsters. I own several and they are fantastic

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Man i ordered me a alien gear and I love it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As to your questions. Any basic gun cleaning kit will get you started. You might want to look into different lubes. I prefer a Teflon based lube from my guns. It's basically personal preference.

No experience with the holster your looking at. My preference is all leather. Since it uses screws to hold the holster to the backing, I would suggest a dab of blue Loctite on the thread to keep the screws from backing out. Will still be able to disassemble it if needed. DO NOT use Red Loctite. You won't be able to take it apart if you do.
    Does Teflon protect it better than the Hoppe's oil would? Also, good idea on the red Loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by cltyus1 View Post
    Man i ordered me a alien gear and I love it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Do you have it for the Shield? I can't find any photos of someone wearing it with the Shield.

I also found this kit on Amazon for nearly the same price...Not sure if it better, worse, or equal to the Hoppe's kit. Amazon.com: Kleenbore Gun Care Classic Handgun Kit (.38/.357/9mm): Sports & Outdoors

Also, I was wondering what kind of ammunition I should be looking at for this as far as target practice FMJ and self defense hollow points...also where to get it from. I guess since there is so much to choose from, what kind of ammo should I not use?

Love my Shield

I went through several carry pistols and this one fit me the best
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

The Shield is a great firearm. Took mine through Armed Dynamics defensive pistol course. It rained 8 out of the 10 hours we were there. The mags and gun had mud all in it and the Shield still ran like a champ. I use a Phlster Access holster. I love Phlster, but only if you are going to carry appendix style.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Bought a Shield for the wife, she loves it. It carries really well in a hybrid like the one your looking at. I like that size a lot for appendix carry.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Use the mitch rosen clipper holster for mine an use froglube to clean everyting nice minty smell

People have been giving the Alien Gear holsters really great reviews on other forums. From what I gather, they are great. It is also easy to order extra kydex shells that you can swap in and out to fit different guns. I had one in the cart for my G19 and was about to order, but decided last second on an all kydex setup from x-concealment. I love it, but am still thinking about picking up the Alien Gear rig. For the price and extremely short wait time, I don't think you can go wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links