M&P 9mm VTAC Holster Wear

This is a discussion on M&P 9mm VTAC Holster Wear within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My VTAC is about 6 months old and is showing some holster wear on the front sides of the slide. I was told by someone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: M&P 9mm VTAC Holster Wear

My VTAC is about 6 months old and is showing some holster wear on the front sides of the slide. I was told by someone that the finish is Melonite and shouldn't wear that fast. I also saw, on the Military Arms Channel blog, that he had the same question on a VTAC he was reviewing: said he liked the gun; the finish, not so much. So, what gives here? Is the finish on the VTAC not up to S&W standards for a gun of this quality? Thanks for your input.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    There are signs of holster wear on my M&P9 towards the front of the slide, and I can literally see down to bare metal in certain spots. I can't help but wonder how much effort S&W puts into their M&P line of handguns. That doesn't stop me from enjoying the pistol though but as of lately my M&P9 has been a safe queen. Of all the handguns I own and have owned, my Gen 3 Glock 19 has the toughest finish.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Administrator
    The finish on the M&P pistols has long been suspect, and perhaps a bit lagging behind Glock. But almost any gun that is carried a lot is going to get holster wear. It's not a collectible, it's a tool. I personally feel that M&P's look better wearing some character, especially the VTac. Now carry and shoot that gun like it's intended to be. It's not a safe queen-
    357and40 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

O.K., SIXTO. BUT... a gun costing this much should not be showing holster wear on the slide after less than one year " in the saddle!"
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    IMO, the M&P's do lag behind Glock and several others in terms of their finish. In 2007 I was issued a Beretta PX4 that I carry daily as a duty weapon in a Safariland holster. It is taken in and out of the holster several times each day and the finish still looks excellent. Not the best pic I've taken but here is a pic of the PX4.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    O.K., SIXTO. BUT... a gun costing this much should not be showing holster wear on the slide after less than one year " in the saddle!"
    Maybe... But I have guns that cost twice that of the MSRP on the VTAC that have holster wear. It's par for the course. Unfortunately, the M&P finish just is par. Otherwise it's an excellent pistol.
    Philly Boy and 357and40 like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I carry my 9c daily in a crossbreed super tuck, galco ankle lite and A 20 year old galco owb for 2 years now and I see no sign of wear on the finish.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Administrator
    Maybe Smith will help you out... I kinda doubt it, but it might be worth a phone call
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    You've never owned an H&K have you?
    357and40 likes this.

Sponsor
    There's no way the finish on the M&P is anyway near that of the Glock. The hardness goes in over .010" deep all around. I have never seen one rust either. Can't beat it (well, you can, but you won't hurt it).
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Melonite is a hardening/nitriding process that has to do with the steel itself, i.e., it imparts certain qualities to the steel. The black finish is some sort of high tech paint.

Jim

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    Melonite is a hardening/nitriding process that has to do with the steel itself, i.e., it imparts certain qualities to the steel. The black finish is some sort of high tech paint.

Jim
    I think the color on the Glock slide is from the Melonite process itself. There is no thickness to it and it's like over 80 RC in hardness.

Respectfully,

D.R.
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    I think the color on the Glock slide is from the Melonite process itself. There is no thickness to it and it's like over 80 RC in hardness.

Respectfully,

D.R.
    That is not my understanding and I would present as evidence the different finishes Glock has used over the years. Starting with the almost parkerized looking finish of the Gen1 and Gen2 models to the slick semi-shiny Teflon finish of the Gen3's to the current finish that looks more like the paint you find on most other guns.

This is my old Gen2 with the parkerized finish which is very different from the others. I don't have a Gen3 but when I get a chance I'll take a picture of my Gen4 G26 and upload it too.

Jim
    Attached Images
    Philly Boy likes this.

Sponsor
    Yes, Jim that's correct. I believe the older finishes were Tennifer with a parkerize finish over the top to dull them down. They would scratch on the surface, but the underside was VERY hard stuff.

The Gen 3 finishes I have never seen rust and I sweat on them a lot in the summer.

V/R

D.R.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links