DA Revolvers as field and hiking guns

This is a discussion on DA Revolvers as field and hiking guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody own either K,L, or N-frame Smiths as field/hiking guns? The same for either Ruger GP100's or Redhawks. We hear a lot about SA in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: DA Revolvers as field and hiking guns

Anybody own either K,L, or N-frame Smiths as field/hiking guns? The same for either Ruger GP100's or Redhawks. We hear a lot about SA in these roles(which is cool)but like to see pics of these DA revolvers, especially if custom work has been done. Thanks !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Don't have a pic handy, but I carry a 6" Ruger Security-Six whilst I am in teh boonies... It shoots sub MOPP at 50 yards.
    old grunt and TSKnight like this.

Here are two that have served the purpose for me. Model 15-5 S&W topside and for Magnum loads, Ruger Security Six below the Smith. They'll work without the custom work.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Brand new, and haven't used it yet, but here is my winter woods gun, for whatever I might be doing.

S&W 629-6
    Chest rig from Diamond D Holsters
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

My favorite field/work outside gun is this 327 Night Guard. It's been worked by Dietrich Gunsmithy - DAO (about 6lbs), trigger stop, IL disabled, bobbed hammer, chamfered charge holes. It is slick, accurate, and, thanks to the scandium frame, a pleasure to carry.

Recently added the stags and Tyler T grip.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I can and have carried many different handguns when hiking. We have our own place in which to hike so lots of hiking and hunting has happened, literally all of my life. Hiking and hunting transpires on acquaintances' ranches and on deer leases over they years. Mostly revolvers go along with the odd 1911 gun now and then. I'll carry a particular handgun on a whim, perhaps a heavy handgun during deer season, in case an opportunity presents itself.

I'm boring though. The two most often toted revolvers that ride along in a belt holster are plain ol' fixed sight Smith & Wesson 4-inch K-frame guns. A Model 10 Heavy Barrel .38 Special and a late 1920s .32-20. No custom work though.

Model 10 Heavy Barrel. Also shown with the original holster which has a 35-year history of hiking satisfaction and it's more recent replacement.

The .32-20 Hand Ejector. Used in the same holster as the .38 above. Wears a pair of "hiking stocks" when afield to save wear and tear on the correct originals. Shown with its ratty stocks and its .32-20 rifle companion.

This Smith & Wesson K-22 Masterpiece sees some use with a suitably long belt holster and can be handy for impromptu plinking sessions that may develop along a hiking trail or for the odd cottontail or squirrel or vermin that shows up. There are occasions when the heavier center fire calibers are appreciated for their ability to more expeditiously take down a varmint. Two-legged varmints bent on trespassing and poaching could be a potential issue so the .22 isn't carried with as much frequency.

Most of the holster wear seen on this .45 automatic was put on it while hiking about our place, originally stuck in a 1944 Hoyt military contract flap holster modified with a snap closure and later a Safariland model. It saw lots of carry in former times but the automatics haven't seen as much use in recent years.

Of late, this commercial Colt Government Model has seen some use afield in the old Safariland holster. This photo was taken on an afternoon after I got back from a trip to the back country of a ranch on the Mexican border. Not a bad arrangement to have along for the ride in such a locale.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I often carry one of my Colt double-action revolvers or one of my S&W 29-2 .44 magnum revolvers.

I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

I carry a S&W mod 66 no dash if in the boonies but then agin I live in the boonies too.
    old grunt, bmcgilvray and OD* like this.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Lately I carry a Colt Trooper .357 in a military tanker/pilot style shoulder holster when stumbling through the wooded area.

Open carry is allowed for camping, hiking, fishing, and hunting. When fishing I sometimes carry my S&W model 10 in a NYC regulation holster at 4:00, with the bottom tucked into my back pocket.
    bmcgilvray, wmhawth and OD* like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Lately I carry a Colt Trooper .357 in a military tanker/pilot style shoulder holster when stumbling through the wooded area.

Open carry is allowed for camping, hiking, fishing, and hunting. When fishing I sometimes carry my S&W model 10 in a NYC regulation holster at 4:00, with the bottom tucked into my back pocket.
    Retired from the job in NY Secret? The Model 10 and the 'regulation holster' is a giveaway!��
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I often OC my old Police Service Six .357 w/ 2 3/4" bbl in a vintage high ride thumb break SafariLand holster. Its perfect for bumming around in the woods. Occasionally if I want to travel lighter I will carry my G-36 in a Fobus paddle holster.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I generally carry a 5" .44 Mag Redhawk when hog hunting. Don't think I have any good pics...
    Secret Spuk and old grunt like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

GP100 is my woods pistol, I just wish I was as accurate with my Glock as I am with my GP100. The GP100 is very well balanced, just love Ruger Revolvers.
    old grunt likes this.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I'm "in the field" quite a few days of the week .... part of my job description. I carry a 3" SP101 .357 every day (for the last three years anyway). I've carried a blued 4" Security Six, various blued and stainless/alloy j-frames, and several .22 cal revolvers, but nothing has stood up to the rigors of my daily requirements like the SP101. In season, I always carry the "top two" with snake shot, followed my three nice magnum rounds. For daily carry, especially when bucking in a lot of other work related equipment, the 3 inch .357 mag is both comforting and comfortable. If I had any greater threats to deal with than our standard 2 legged and 4 legged East Texas critters, it would be an Alaskan in .44 mag. I still long for Ruger to build a 3 inch .44 spl in something between the SP and GP.
    wmhawth and old grunt like this.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Here is my Wiley Clapp GP100. I've posted it before but only pics I've taken of it.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links