Feel like I'm making progress shooting 3" 9 mm defensively.

This is a discussion on Feel like I'm making progress shooting 3" 9 mm defensively. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All rapid fire strings at 40 feet. Gen 4 Glock 26. 10528332903_f85ef6ce2e_b.jpg...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Feel like I'm making progress shooting 3" 9 mm defensively.

Feel like I'm making progress shooting 3" 9 mm defensively.

All rapid fire strings at 40 feet. Gen 4 Glock 26.

10528332903_f85ef6ce2e_b.jpg
    gatorbait51 and Kennydale like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Depends: If you are shooting for a perfect "all 10's" score in competition, you are making nice progress there.

HOWEVER, if you are working on improving your self defense skills: That pattern should definitely stop the threat. If you're trying to take down a BG, why try to get all the bullets through one hole when several holes, all CM, will give him more grief????? LOL
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Looks pretty good congrats.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

You're getting there! A good way to improve is to start close and shoot until you're all in the black, then speed up, keeping in the black, then move back 1 or 2 yards and repeat. Eventually you will reach the effective limit for that gun. And at some point you will reach your limit for that gun. Practice will extend your limit, not the guns. A good trigger makes a lot of difference with a short barrel. And a longer barrel will usually extend your effective distances.

But then there's people pinging gongs at 100 plus yards with snubbies. Gives you something to aspire to! :)

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Looks good buddy. Keep up the good work
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

13 yards or so, huh?

I'd take that all day long. While I like to shoot a match clean (usually to the detriment of my time), if I empty a magazine at speed at 12 yards and they are all in the +0 zone, I'm plenty happy. I like accuracy as much as the next guy, but when I practice, I shoot fast.

Thanks everyone! Some of it is the trigger, some of it is my confidence. I can make a hole the size of silver dollar at that distance all day long with my 1911, regardless of speed. With the smaller/lighter pieces, I'm happy to be making improvements!

At forty feet, I think you've combined the best parts of defensive shooting along with being a sniper. That's good shooting whatever it is.
    ChrisATX likes this.

The girlfriend is drooling at this point for when I finally get to shoot with her immediate family: brother is PD, dad is retired CO who works for a firm that does security for federal buildings... and both are just a liiiiitttttllleee competitive.

...and if (when) that day ever comes, you bet your ass I'll be on MY 1911.

That my friend is some excellent shooting ! I am a combat accuracy shooter and if you can do that consistently at speed them a BG will truly have a bad day. Keep upthengood work

Some people are like slinkies.... There not really good for much, but you can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs
    ChrisATX likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Great job! I'm usually firing at "real world" self defense distances though. No farther than 20'. Not sure I understand the mindset in training past that distance.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Good shooting there, IMO. For defensive practice I like to throw a few challenges in such as: shooting strong hand only, weak hand only, or shooting while on my back. It's fun practice and gives you an idea of what, if anything you need to work on.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

That definitely meets the need for practical accuracy at defensive distances. Take that target and hold it up to your chest. How many would not have been in the "kill zone"? Even better if you did that quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Depends: If you are shooting for a perfect "all 10's" score in competition, you are making nice progress there.

HOWEVER, if you are working on improving your self defense skills: That pattern should definitely stop the threat. If you're trying to take down a BG, why try to get all the bullets through one hole when several holes, all CM, will give him more grief????? LOL
    Irreparable damage to one/a few organs versus reparable damage to many.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Forty feet? I can't even see the target at forty feet!!!

Good shooting.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links