Pocket Lint...Kind Of

This is a discussion on Pocket Lint...Kind Of within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In late October I took a four-day river trip, with my sons and some friends, down the Green River just north of Canyonlands National Park. ...

Thread: Pocket Lint...Kind Of

Pocket Lint...Kind Of

In late October I took a four-day river trip, with my sons and some friends, down the Green River just north of Canyonlands National Park. While on the trip, I carried a 1911 in a kydex paddle holster.

When I got home, I noticed enough sand had gotten into the works to make the slide feel gritty as I pulled it back to unload the gun. So, I figured Iíd better take the gun apart and clean the sand out. As I hadnít done a detail strip on this gun in quite some time (most of the time I only field strip it when I clean it), I thought this would be a good opportunity. Besides, I didnít want to leave any sand in the inner workings of the gun.

As I got into the innerds, I noticed something interesting Ė pocket lint. Not just a little pocket lint, but a significant amount of pocket lint. No, I donít carry this gun in my pocket, itís obviously way to big for that. However, this is one of the guns I have carried concealed in an IWB on a regular basis for quite some time.

So, Iíve resolved to detail strip and clean my carry guns on a regular basis, more often than Iíve done in the past.

Have any of you noticed ďpocket lintĒ collecting in the bowels of your carry guns? If so, how often do you detail strip them and clean this stuff out?
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    compressed air every so often with the slide locked back....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

"compressed air every so often with the slide locked back...."

I use compressed air and also squirt the innards with cleaning solvent from a spray can with one of those little tubes attached. It obviously didnít do the trick.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

The only carry gun I have that collects lint is my pocket-carried P3AT. I typically "field-strip" and clean it once every month or so, or after I shoot it at the range. I do not detail strip it. As ham-fisted as I can be, that is probably better left to a gunsmith.

Assistant Administrator
    The 1911 is not too bad to detail strip and is well worth doing from time to time. I am less keen to go deep into my SIG however.

True tho - lint is invasive and collects even without pocket carry. I carry OWB and over time quite apparent lint/dust accumulates - one particle tending to aggregate to another to make for significant collection.

Compressed air will usually do pretty well - and another reason for now ''drowning'' the internals with oil is to avoid lint sticking so easily.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I notice it at the base of the hammers on my 1911s. I guess it comes from the cotton fibers on my jeans, shirts & vests.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Just make sure you oil it after using compressed air becuase it contains a fair amout of moisture unless your compressor has a inline filter or built in moisture trap.

Always Clean Your Guns...

every 3.000 miles or 90 days...which every comes first!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I get the same lint type stuff, but maybe a bit worse. It's probably because I always wear an undershirt ("wifebeater"). It was really bad with the Px4, but then again, it might have just shown up better because it was a black pistol.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

pocket lint will find a gun no matter what you do to stop it. i clean my duty gun and "bug" once a week to make sure that i don't have to much of it. now, this is not a full cleaning, just a break down to blow out the lint.

Links