SCCY CPX-2 9mm Review

This is a discussion on SCCY CPX-2 9mm Review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There has been a lot of love spread on these boards for the SCCY CPX-2 and actually, thanks to the DC community, I was exposed ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: SCCY CPX-2 9mm Review

SCCY CPX-2 9mm Review

There has been a lot of love spread on these boards for the SCCY CPX-2 and actually, thanks to the DC community, I was exposed to this little known American made gun. This is one of the reasons I love DC so much: there are true blue gun people here and I've been made privy to so many different types of guns that the magazines and mainstream market never introduce me to. Thank you, DC :)

On with the review!

I literally just picked this up today and when right ahead to flush 200 rounds down range as part of my normal "pre carry certification" ritual. One FTF was the only hiccup in an otherwise dramaless range session. The final box was my SD loads which the gun ate up with gusto.

Here it is with my Glock 26 during today's inaugural range session:

Here's the SCCY field stripped after the day:

To be completely blunt: I love this gun! What do I love about it? Let me list them:

Minus FFL transfer fees it only cost me $257 from the original dealer thru gunsamerica.com.

The trigger is longish but absolutely linear and crisp. I never had so much fun with a true revolver-like DAO trigger like I did with this gun. It even one ups revolver triggers - it doesn't reset until you fully depress the trigger. The trigger stays limp until the reset which is very pronounced and unmistakable. Revolvers have vague to no tactile reset feedback and trying to pull the trigger of a revolver before full depress will trick out its cylinder motion. The SCCY doesn't do that. It just sits quiet until you reset the trigger, it's hammer just sitting as rest.

The SCCY trigger is super simple, like a revolver's. The hammer sits fully uncocked after each shot and the trigger smoothly cocks the hammer back and let's it go at the break point, consistently. So there is never a drop ND hazard as the hammer is always at rest until you pull the trigger and you have second/third strike capability as well. Simple but genius.

It has real three dot sights that jump right out and kisses you. I was very pleased at the sight picture. Trumped every other mighty mite I've shot.

It's accurate for a SD gun. I didn't quite shoot it as well as my Glock 26, but the Glock's trigger is also a lot shorter and much lighter. In fact, after 100 rounds thru the SCCY, I was almost surprised when I picked up my G26 and shot it. It's a lot more deliberate with the SCCY trigger pull compared to an almost SAO feeling of the Glock trigger.

Even at a whole 5oz lighter fully loaded compared to the G26, the recoil of the 9mm felt identical to my heavier Glock. This is a very pleasant shooting mini 9. Almost unexpectedly so. It was a major plus!

This light weight also allows me to pocket carry the SCCY, where doing so with the G26 was almost laughable. It is tipping the extreme scale of my pocket carry criteria but I did pocket carry it today and it felt just fine. Just a touch bulky.

Here are the weights, comparing the G26 to the SCCY:

Here it is in my pocket

The Glock fanboys out there will notice the holster silhouette matches that of a Glock. That's right. The SCCY will fit the same holsters as Glocks 17, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 31,32, 33, 34, 35 or 36. Especially hybrid style or pocket holsters. My SCCY rides in my Glock holsters almost like it was made to do so: this eBay pocket holster and my favorite Foxx hybrid holster. Major plus there.

I have owned many tiny guns: LCR, LCP, LC9, XDS .45, and Shield. None of them come close to the SCCY. The SCCY somehow strikes the perfect balance between capacity (10+1), stopping power (9mm instead of sub calibers like .380), weight (not much heavier than the featherlight LCR), recoil (not even close to the harshness of the LCP or LCR), good sights, great reliability, good enough SD accuracy, not lawyered up (no safeties at all outside of the long trigger pull), all well under $300.

American gun makers need to make more guns like this. I'm a certified Glockophile, but this gun is the only one in my long search to fit in with my highly respected Austrian polymers. The only American among my German-speaking carry arsenal ;)

Spot the American...

It fills the role vacated by my LCP - pocket gun. And I gave up nothing in the process, actually upgrading to 4 more shots per mag and at an increased firepower quotient.

All in all, 5 out of 5 stars. My carry search has concluded. This, aside my Glocks, is the only carry piece I'll ever need. Simply amazing!
    Last edited by DetChris; October 30th, 2013 at 01:47 AM.

2. Remove Ads

The SCCY's trigger guard and size makes it a near perfect fit tor any belt slide or OWB holster made for a 45 1911.
    DetChris likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Thanks for the review, DetChris! I've been looking for one of those for months, but I haven't found one for under $300 (after adding shipping, FFL, and sales tax). I don't really care for the trigger pull, but hey, for double-action, it's not bad.

Thanks for the pics too. You've reignited my desire to get one.
    DetChris likes this.
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein
    You taught us to imagine, and we imagined your irrelevance! --Dalek Caan

I too recently purchased one a few weeks ago from a local gun show BNIB for $250. I went to the range last week and it ran fine. Being a former Keltec P11 owner this is better built and has a better trigger in my opinion. For the price it can't be beat !!! Thank you for sharing your experience. God Bless
    DetChris likes this.

I have the CPX-1 and aside from the manual safety,not needed (which I leave off when CC ) have had no problems at all.Now,I'm trying to get my wife to carry it because it is compact enough for her to purse carry,but she prefers her revolver.
    DetChris likes this.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

I've been intrigued by the SCCY too. Was kind of wavering between getting that or the BP9CC. Then I held both of them side by side. The SCCY just didn't feel right while the Bersa felt like it was molded to my hand so I'm going to get the Bersa. But, I fully expect to add a SCCY at some point in the future. Great review!
    DetChris likes this.
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

carry one everyday, love it!
    lionround and DetChris like this.

DetChris, do you by chance have the Glock Sport Combat Holster? If so, how does your CPX-2 fit in it?

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    Great write up and pics. Sounds like it will work very well for you. For the money it would be hard to go wrong with one of these little gems!
    DetChris likes this.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

I bought a SCCY a couple of months ago, was very pleased with the gun too, but the magazines not so much. My first two range visits I had constant FTF and slide not locking back on empty mag.
    Someone here told me to try turning the spring inside the magazine 180*, and it worked perfectly. I haven't had chance to return to the range since the 'fix', but I shot a few rounds off the back porch, and had no more failure to feeds, and the slide locked back on each empty mag.

Sara Lou
    DetChris likes this.
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    DetChris, do you by chance have the Glock Sport Combat Holster? If so, how does your CPX-2 fit in it?
    I do not but I've found that the CPX-2 has a narrower frame and slide than my Glocks. So it only works well in holsters that rely on belt pressure to cinch the pistol in place. To that effect, my Foxx hybrid, N82 tactical and eBay pocket holsters accept the SCCY readily, but the pistol is loose and jiggles around like crazy in my kydex OWB (which will be similar to the Glock sport holster) and Fobus paddle holster.

For my application, a hybrid and pocket holsters are all I'd ever use with the SCCY so it doesn't bother me. To be able to use half my Glock holsters on this gun at all geeks me out :)

Quote Originally Posted by Zralou View Post
    I bought a SCCY a couple of months ago, was very pleased with the gun too, but the magazines not so much. My first two range visits I had constant FTF and slide not locking back on empty mag.
    Someone here told me to try turning the spring inside the magazine 180*, and it worked perfectly. I haven't had chance to return to the range since the 'fix', but I shot a few rounds off the back porch, and had no more failure to feeds, and the slide locked back on each empty mag.

Sara Lou
    I found that I had to give thesis a hard slap on their base to fully seat. Tight tolerances with the mag release! But once I got the hang of Hollywood style mag slapping, the mag issue stopped. Took me about 6-7 mag reloads to realize I had to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    I do not but I've found that the CPX-2 has a narrower frame and slide than my Glocks. So it only works well in holsters that rely on belt pressure to cinch the pistol in place. To that effect, my Foxx hybrid, N82 tactical and eBay pocket holsters accept the SCCY readily, but the pistol is loose and jiggles around like crazy in my kydex OWB (which will be similar to the Glock sport holster) and Fobus paddle holster.

For my application, a hybrid and pocket holsters are all I'd ever use with the SCCY so it doesn't bother me. To be able to use half my Glock holsters on this gun at all geeks me out :)
    Thanks for that.
    DetChris likes this.

Ditto here... it has my interest too.
    DetChris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zralou View Post
    i bought a sccy a couple of months ago, was very pleased with the gun too, but the magazines not so much. My first two range visits i had constant ftf and slide not locking back on empty mag.
    Someone here told me to try turning the spring inside the magazine 180*, and it worked perfectly. I haven't had chance to return to the range since the 'fix', but i shot a few rounds off the back porch, and had no more failure to feeds, and the slide locked back on each empty mag.

Sara lou
    don't forget the life time warranty,regardless of owner.
    DetChris likes this.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links