Kahr CW9

Kahr CW9

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got a chance to hold one today! I was very impressed. This is the first plastic gun Ive wanted to pick up a second ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Kahr CW9

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar

Kahr CW9

I got a chance to hold one today! I was very impressed. This is the first plastic gun Ive wanted to pick up a second time. It is very thin. It has enough grip for all my fingers to fit comfortably. It was priced at $420. But there may be some haggle room. Who has shot one, and how did you like it? It looks to be a gun thats easy to carry. DR

I had one for a few years and loved it. Only reason I got rid of it was I found anytime I could carry it, I could manage to carry my G27, and I love more ammo. It was sitting in my safe and it deserved to be used. It was utterly reliable and as accurate as any shooter that picked it up. I would compare the trigger to a good s&w revolver. Took some getting used to but it worked well. I sold it to a good friend and have no qualms about it being just as accurate and reliable for him. We have them new on the shelf for $369 at the store I work at.
    dangerranger likes this.

I was really impressed with the feel of the CW45 (I only checked out the CM9,40 and CW45) I checked out this weekend at the funshow here in VA. They had the same price on all the CW's and CM's 359.00, If I'd known anything about how bad recoil was and reliability I probably would have picked it up. I really liked the feel of the trigger... I still may revisit the CW45 since it's bunches less than an XDS.
    dangerranger likes this.

It's a great gun, but $420 is way too high!

Should be more like $360-$375.
    dangerranger likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I,ve had one for a couple of years now. Dont carry it often because I prefer a 1911, but it is a nice piece and utterly reliable.
    dangerranger likes this.

I have the CW9, it is a GREAT gun. I have 800-1000 rounds through it without a problem. I have not had a FTF or FTE. I can't put into words how impressed I am with this gun! I have shot many different brands of ammo as well as reloads without a problem.

My wife also enjoys shooting this gun.

Let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you. The kahr talk forum is a great place to get insight into these guns.
    dangerranger likes this.

I own the P9, which is a more expensive version of the CW9. The CW9 should shoot the same as the P9 because the differences wouldn't be noticed by most shooters. The recoil on my Kahr is very manageable. It is better than my full size 40 cal home defense on recoil. Basically, it's a nice pistol for IWB carry. It has a slim profile that is easy to hide, the grip is long enough to allow for 3 fingers for average male hand size, and is reliable once you've properly broken it in. I enjoy shooting it, it's easy to carry. The most common gripe is the long DA trigger pull. Since it is single stack, you trade some capacity for concealment. Overall, nice pistol(s), but I'd second the other commenters mid $300 on the price.
    dangerranger likes this.
    Kahr CW380, Kahr P9, Walther P99AS

I like mine a lot, and haven't had a lick of trouble with it since new. Some folks here reported problems with the CW9, but mine's been completely reliable and not sensitive to different types of ammo.
    dangerranger likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I Bought my first kahr , a CW9 used from a highly disgruntled owner that could not make it reliable. I paid 250 bucks 6 years ago. Now for me its been 100% reliable and has been in my carry rotation of only kahrs ever since and caused me to buy two more kahrs. The first owner was using the same powdr poof 9mm reloads he used in his 5" 1911 match gun and were to soft to function the kahr. He has since bought another kahr.

Your in CA. so the 420 dollar price my be OK . In NC they go for right around 375 to 380.

They can wear some on a fake plastic rail meant to aid assembly during the first 100 rounds then it stops. The rails in kahrs are very different. front of slide run on two metal rails down by the recoil spring other two are at the rear of the frame. Kahrs have a long smooooth double action type trigger with no stacking and does take some shooting to learn it well for many striker trigger guys . If you are a SA/DA revolver shooter you will pick it up quickly. Many of use change the striker spring to a wolf RP spring to give us a 5lb trigger pull.

They do need a patent owner if your lacking skills with smaller pistols . They can test a newer shooter too . . They do have a heavy recoil spring and that means a heavy slide function . The manual tells you to rack iT 200 times before shooting and to use the slide release not to rack to chamber a round. Many other never did the rack 200 times thing and just rack the slide to chamber round like any other pistol. No big deal. My 100lb daughter can rack my cm9, she just does not like it. Run them wet when new.

I do tell people to start off with 124gr fmj as some of the 115gr loads out there don't have enough energy to fully cycle the slide till you get a 100 or more rounds fired then it will probably function fine with any ammo you try. They are a mild shooting pistol do to the heavy springs.

It carries easy, and makes for a great defensive pistol .

Like I said I have 3 kahrs. cm9 cw9 and tp40 and all have a few thousand rounds thru each. Carry ammo is Gold dot bullets from ether underwood or Georgia arms and I have used the gold dots for years. So I have limited experience with other brands but have shoot some of hornady's xtp bullet . I load practice ammo.

The main problem that can show early on is the feed ramp can strick the follower on a small number of pistol breaking the follower and kahr send shipping labels and makes it right quickly and does seem to be a very random problem. I have not seen it and have several other friends and family with kahrs .

Is that enough info?
    m My 3 kahrs-
    dangerranger likes this.

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I like mine a lot, and haven't had a lick of trouble with it since new. Some folks here reported problems with the CW9, but mine's been completely reliable and not sensitive to different types of ammo.
    Any issues with the long trigger reset when doing rapid fire?

I ask because I have a used one on layaway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Any issues with the long trigger reset when doing rapid fire?

I ask because I have a used one on layaway.

Thanks
    I have two Kahrs and two other 'serious' striker-fired automatics (leaving the P-32 out of the discussion for now), a Glock 23 and a Taurus PT111. The Kahr trigger is superior to either, IMO, lacking the vagueness of the Glock and the 'stacking' of the Taurus. The break point is easily learned and quite repeatable, and it feels exactly the same in my K40 as my CW9. The overtravel is greater than I'd like, so although I haven't measured split times I'd guess my 1911s are faster in rapid fire than the Kahr. The difference is one of those third decimal place effects - measurable, but not significant in the real world.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I have two Kahrs and two other 'serious' striker-fired automatics (leaving the P-32 out of the discussion for now), a Glock 23 and a Taurus PT111. The Kahr trigger is superior to either, IMO, lacking the vagueness of the Glock and the 'stacking' of the Taurus. The break point is easily learned and quite repeatable, and it feels exactly the same in my K40 as my CW9. The overtravel is greater than I'd like, so although I haven't measured split times I'd guess my 1911s are faster in rapid fire than the Kahr. The difference is one of those third decimal place effects - measurable, but not significant in the real world.
    Thanks but what I was trying to ask is whether you experienced any difficulty short stroking it on the reset after firing? When letting it out before the next shot.

I have a G19,G30,Walther PPQ and MP9c and I find myself reaching for the Kahr CW9 most of the time. Bought this gun when it first came out and it has had zero problems. I have run over 1200 rounds and it's hard to believe how accurate this gun is once you practice that trigger. I did own it's baby brother(CM9) but sold it. CW9 will be one gun I can't see myself selling anytime soon. Shop around for a better price...they have come down but maybe that may be a good price as someone else said for, Cali.

I have the cw45 and love it, the trigger is nice, have to break em in good though

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    Thanks but what I was trying to ask is whether you experienced any difficulty short stroking it on the reset after firing? When letting it out before the next shot.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I own several Kahrs and when I first got them, I did short stroke the trigger on follow up shots. Once I got the hang of the trigger, it was no longer an issue. I have learned to shoot it very quickly. It took about three range visits to perfect it. Now I think it is one of the best triggers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links