Harp Custom 1911

This is a discussion on Harp Custom 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have any experience with Harp Custom 1911s? I have a Brigade Gunleather Holster, and am very pleased with the workmanship and quality of ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By deadapair

Thread: Harp Custom 1911

Harp Custom 1911

Does anyone have any experience with Harp Custom 1911s?

I have a Brigade Gunleather Holster, and am very pleased with the workmanship and quality of the holster. In the holster buying process I noticed that Troy Harp, the owner, also makes custom 1911s. I drooled over pictures online for a while and finally wrote an email to Troy. Troy was nice enough to take 2 hours of his busy day and call me, talk to me about options and give me a general class in building and mechanics of a 1911. This impressed me to say the least. Troy was very knowledgeable, and guarentees his work will be reliable. His knowledge of 1911 was mind-blowing and I learned a lot despite absorbing about 10% of what he said.

My main question, has anyone bought and owned a Harp Custom 1911? It's a large leap of faith for me, and without any testimonials it is even harder. I don't have $3000+ sitting around to try out on an experiment.

Thanks,

Jason

2. Remove Ads

Been there, done that.

Jason, FWIW I just took that leap. My deposit has been sent, specifications set, get in line and wait.

I spent about a year trying to figure out what I wanted in a 1911 and then about another year trying to figure out who I wanted to build it. Once Troy was on the short list, I tried researching him and searched forums, called gun shops and ranges trying to find someone who might have first had experience with a Harp Custom 1911. I found several guys who are in various stages of having one built. and a couple of guys who have had a little work done to production guns, but no complete builds.

You'll hear a lot of recommendations for the "big 3" WC; EB & NH. There are a ton of less commercial custom guys that are well known and highly regarded, all of whom do excellent work. All of 'em were unheard of at some point. All of 'em will build a gun "to your specification" I decided to go with a guy who's style of builds matched the style of gun I want. He knows what I want, because I'm basically looking at it and I don't have to talk him into anything. My $0.02, YMMV.

I'll keep you posted as things develop. Don't hold your breath though, it should be about a year long process and he just got the frame last earlier this week.
    CPT_Rich likes this.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Deadapair, thank you for your response. I, too have found a few guys in the build process, but no one with the finished product. I guess I'm about halfway through the process you've gone through.

BMC, thanks for the link, I've been there, he also has a Facebook page that is much more functional than the web page.

I like the videos even more than the pics: Harp Custom 1911 Pistols - YouTube

He's a one man shop. From what I've gathered, he spends his time behind the bench, not so much updating his interweb stuff.

Love the videos... Thanks for sharing. I hadn't seen them yet. Impressive operation.

Links