Walther p99 vs ppq vs ppx.

This is a discussion on Walther p99 vs ppq vs ppx. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone explain the difference between these three guns to me? I haven't been able to find any clear info on the differences online....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Walther p99 vs ppq vs ppx.

Walther p99 vs ppq vs ppx.

Can anyone explain the difference between these three guns to me? I haven't been able to find any clear info on the differences online.

2. Remove Ads

P99 came out before the PPQ. Quick overview: it features a striker-decocking mechanism, exposed striker, and has a few trigger options. DAO, and their AS (Anti-Stress) which acts, essentially, as a DA first trigger pull, SA after. Most had adjustable backstraps.

PPQ is the evolution of the P99. Revised ergonomics, SAO, no decocker, no exposed striker. Front and rear serrations. Adjustable backstraps. Checkering went away to stippling. Striker mechanism operates differently from the P99 and most other poly-strikers on the market. Very crisp trigger with .10 reset. Similar reset to the AS trigger on the p99, but no DA first pull and less take up.

PPX is a hammer fired model. Similar frame and ergos as the PPQ. I guess DAO? It's a lighter trigger pull at 6.5lb, but that's more than the PPQ's 4-5lb.

P99's can come with either left-side slide stop, second gen on have ambi. PPQ and PPX are ambi slide stops. All have ambi mag releases.

edit: Forgot to add that the PPQ is available in "M2" variant which has a Western style button mag release.

http://www.waltherarms.com/products/?tactical - this actually has a good break down of each ones features, including trigger pull and such.
    Phaedrus and GlassWolf like this.

All of them are great shooting pistols.

Not even a Google search called 'Walther p99 vs ppq vs ppx differences'?

P99 - decocker (the ones to get are the ones stamped "007".)

Using an ingenious decocker system, the P99 has a striker with an exceptionally wide sear portion extending downward. In the forward, double action mode the striker is in position to be picked up by the claw-like double action sear on the transfer bar of the trigger. When the trigger is pulled through double action, the claw draws the striker back until it is cammed out of engagement, releasing it to go forward. The striker is not reset by the slide, and if the pistol is empty the trigger can be pulled double action over and over as with a double action revolver.

If the pistol is fired double action, the movement of the slide automatically sets the striker rearward to the single action mode. Here the trigger remains to the rear requiring only about 1/8 of an inch of travel forward to be reset for the next shot. If the trigger is released during single action fire, it goes only partly forward where the single action safety notch on the trigger arm comes into play with the frame. Pulling the trigger again causes it to pivot and unlock as with the double action notch of the trigger arm.
    WALTHER P99

P990 - decocker, DAO

PPQ - SA (plenty of reviews out there). M1 - paddle mag release, M2- button mag release.

PPX - non adjustable backstraps; looks like a High Point; "DAO", 7mm of travel, 6 lbs. trigger pull; pre-cocked (like a striker fire pistol) hammer fired
    Gun Review: Walther PPX | The Truth About Guns

.XX
    Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    PPQ and PPX are ambi slide stops. All have ambi mag releases.
    P99 with defense kit got ambidextrous slide stop lever.
    Shoots your collector guns!

VIP Member
    The P99 and PPQ are superb! I have not shot a PPX yet as I don't see a need to.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I am selling an HK45, and when it goes a new PPQ will be mine. Man, what a trigger!
    C hawk Glock and Kennydale like this.

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    PPQ VS PPX PPX VS PPQ - WaltherForums

P99 VS PPQ Walther PPQ & P99 AS Gun Reviews

there was a really details comparison of the different p99 versions and the PPQ but i cant find it right now.

the P99 and PPQ uses the same mags and is interchangeable with the clones, the PPQ M2 does not.

the P99 AS is one of the few striker guns that can be decocked and is capable of the second strike.

the PPQ M2 has a button mag release instead of the lever.

the PPX is made to be more affordable (according to Walther) and has considerably more bulk. the LGS has it for less then 400 while the P99 and PPQ will cost around 600

my buddy recently got a P99 AS so we did a lot of research. i'll report back if i can find that web page with that compares the three side by side.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Brian View Post
    P99's can come with either left-side slide stop, second gen on have ambi. PPQ and PPX are ambi slide stops. All have ambi mag releases.

edit: Forgot to add that the PPQ is available in "M2" variant which has a Western style button mag release.

Products - Walther Arms - this actually has a good break down of each ones features, including trigger pull and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by .XX View Post
    P99 with defense kit got ambidextrous slide stop lever.
    yep only the p99 defense kit has ambi slide release, it also has night sights. other p99 has it on the left side.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I think this chart will answer all of your questions: Walther Pistol Comparison Chart - Walther Arms

May I also recommend waltherforums.com? If the comparison chart doesn't have what you're looking for, the forum will. Lots of good pictures, descriptions, and comparisons.
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein
    You taught us to imagine, and we imagined your irrelevance! --Dalek Caan

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav1230 View Post
    Can anyone explain the difference between these three guns to me? I haven't been able to find any clear info on the differences online.
    P99 is DAO, and has second-strike capability with the "AS" anti-stress trigger

PPQ is SAO (single action only) striker-fired, and has an amazing "quick defence" trigger with a tenth of an inch reset

PPX is DA/SA, and as I recall, holds two more rounds than the PPQ/P99, and is designed to be the "economy" handgun offering of their line.

Of the three, the PPQ is what I carry.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

PPQ is SAO (single action only) striker-fired, and has an amazing "quick defence" trigger with a tenth of an inch reset

PPX is DA/SA, and as I recall, holds two more rounds than the PPQ/P99, and is designed to be the "economy" handgun offering of their line.

Of the three, the PPQ is what I carry.
    ?????Not sure part in bold is correct.

The S&W 99 (same as the Walther I think) handles and feels like a DA/SA-- mine with the AS trigger certainly does. It is not super crisp and light like on some SAOs, but there sure is a world of difference in "trigger weight"
    between the first and second round. Very safe gun IMO.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    the P99 AS is SA/DA. with decocker and second strike. it s not DAO, it is called anti stress because even though you can retract the slide a bit to cock a chambered pistol that has been previously decocked the trigger does not move like a typical hammer SA/DA. at this point the trigger will have the lighter weight pull but with a long take up.
    Hopyard likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Sorry yeah, DA/SA on the P99. My head isn't toally with it today. I have a wicked case of pneumonia.

One nice benefit of the second gen P99 and PPQ M1 is that they, along with the US-made baby desert eagle and S&W SW99 all share the same magazines and sights, so if you find it for one model, it'll likely fit the others as well.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

that sucks, get well soon, don't take it lightly. i lost a friend to complications of pneumonia. she had just graduated collage and lost her health insurance, waited too long to go to the doctor. she passed 3 days prior to our shared birthday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links