First range report for my new Para USA Black Ops 1911

This is a discussion on First range report for my new Para USA Black Ops 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the range this morning and fired 100 rounds of WWB 230 gr. fmj through my new pistol, and I am very happy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: First range report for my new Para USA Black Ops 1911

I went to the range this morning and fired 100 rounds of WWB 230 gr. fmj through my new pistol, and I am very happy with it. It's the first .45 acp I have shot, and the first 1911 I have owned, but it just feels right, and I love the way it shoots. I was a little surprised by the muzzle flash, and it made me flinch a little, but I settled in after my first magazine. The recoil was extremely manageable, and allowed for quick follow up shots. I also love the trigger, it's around 4.5 lbs, and has a crisp clean break with a short reset.

I had a few malfunctions, but per the manufacturer there's a 500 round break in period, so I expected a few hiccups. I had a few failure to feed malfunctions, and a few double feeds, but they were spread out, and I was able to shoot 3 9r 4 mags in a row without a stoppage.
    Aceoky, gatorbait51 and darbo like this.

Sounds like a good time.... One thing I would recommend is some ghood 1911 mags. Factory ,mags have a tendency to be.... frustrating...sometimes and could easily be the cuase of your malfunctions. I personally like the Chip McCormack 8 rnds mags. They work very well in my springfield 1911, but wilson combat, Czechmate, and a variety of other makers produce some exceptional 1911 mags, They dont have to cost a fortune to be good either. ..... that reminds me, i need to order a mag or two one of these days.
    gatorbait51 and missymay like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Sounds like a good time.... One thing I would recommend is some ghood 1911 mags. Factory ,ags have a tendency to be.... frustrating...sometimes and could easily be the cuase of your malfunctions. I personally like the Chip McCormack 8 rnds mags. They work very well in my springfield 1911, but wilson combat, Czechmate, and a variety of other makers produce some exceptional 1911 mags, They dont have to cost a fortune to be good either. ..... that reminds me, i need to order a mag or two one of these days.
    Yeah, I'm planning to get some Wilson mags; probably in the next couple of weeks, before my next range trip.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missymay View Post
    Yeah, I'm planning to get some Wilson mags; probably in the next couple of weeks, before my next range trip.
    I've got some Chip McCormicks; I am quite pleased with them .
    Aceoky likes this.

Ooh, nice looking piece. PARA: Black Ops 1911 I especially like the EGW HD extractor part.

Lots of 8 rounder mags have problems, is what I've read. Try just seven and see if the problem goes away. The ones to get would probably be the WC XDs with the small base. The Chip McCormic Power mags don't have the follower dimple. hmmm. I've read there's problems with their cheaper mags, the Shooting Stars, which they claim is what is OEM on many 1911s, and which is what is usually sold at gun shows and a lot of gun stores. Stick with some quality mags, Checkmate, WC, Tripp Research. Keep updating the thread as you break it in.
    missymay and gatorbait51 like this.

I've run CM Shooting Stars in my RIA GI and haven't had any problems with them.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Missy congrats on your new shooter. Let me make a suggestion;

For sure get some new mags, but I don't know if that is the cause of a double feed. If it persists, get someone to check your extractor tension.
    I know that Para uses what they call a power extractor, but it may not be tensioned properly.
    missymay, Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    (Satire. i love high quality 1911's)

I just spent $1,200 on a gun, but it needs $200 of ammo before it works properly. The factory mags also suck (on a $1,200 gun), so I spent another $200 on decent mags. I coulda' got a CZ97 and $1,000 of ammo, but I'd have to put up with 10 round reliable mags. Luckily my wife doesn't know my new leather holster costs twice as much as her new shoes, and I'm going to cover it up so no one sees it.

Why do we love 1911's?

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    I've got some Chip McCormicks; I am quite pleased with them .
    I haven't looked into Chip McCormick products yet, but I'll visit their website, and see what they have to offer. So far, I like Wilson Combat, and Tripp for mags.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post

I just spent $1,200 on a gun, but it needs $200 of ammo before it works properly. The factory mags also suck (on a $1,200 gun), so I spent another $200 on decent mags. I coulda' got a CZ97 and $1,000 of ammo, but I'd have to put up with 10 round reliable mags. Luckily my wife doesn't know my new leather holster costs twice as much as her new shoes, and I'm going to cover it up so no one sees it.

Why do we love 1911's?
    I have a Springfield Range Officer and I haven't had one issue in 1000 rounds. Cheap ammo, HD ammo, factory mags doesn't matter.
    Some times I read 1911 threads and wonder if I just got lucky.

Good luck to the OP.
    I bought McCormick and Wilson magazines. They are both quality in my opinion.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by missymay View Post
    I haven't looked into Chip McCormick products yet, but I'll visit their website, and see what they have to offer. So far, I like Wilson Combat, and Tripp for mags.
    I carry CMC "Power Mags" (including the 10 rounds) they work very well in my 1911's FWIW - YMMV
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    I've run CM Shooting Stars in my RIA GI and haven't had any problems with them.
    I'm sure plenty of people run them without incident. (My brother was not one of them. I'll probably sell him on the idea of installing a WC or TR conversion kit in it.) Plenty of people have had problems where they fail to lock back the slide. And double feeds, nose diving, etc. Basically it's a $20 mag and no one wants to pay the $35 price for the WCs. Having to then upgrade that mag with Wolff Springs is unconscionable to some.

Shooting Star mags are known to have weaker springs than the Pro Mags, and different followers. (Google search for 'MCC Shooting Star problems'.) Remember when certain McCormick mags would gouge aluminum frames? Now their Power Mag+ advertises "100% Aluminum Frame Safe!" But their follower still has no dimple. hmmm. The dimple is "needed" when running ball ammo in a military style 1911. You can YouTube a video concerning it. It's part of the design.

There's a thread dedicated to mags, elsewhere, iirc. Military (ball ammo), hybrids, and ramps for hollow point ammo are discussed.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Missy congrats on your new shooter. Let me make a suggestion;

For sure get some new mags, but I don't know if that is the cause of a double feed. If it persists, get someone to check your extractor tension.
    I know that Para uses what they call a power extractor, but it may not be tensioned properly.
    Thanks Glockman; I just ordered a couple of Chip McCormick 8 round power mags; I hope that fixes the problem, but if it doesn't, I'll send it back to Para after the break in period if I need to.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

Congrats on the new gun. Does it malfunction with other brands of ammo?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post

Why do we love 1911's?
    We love 1911s because they, like Lorelei, tempts us to our doom which we freely accept. Their siren song pulls us deeper in to John Moses Browning's web of art and function.. we are mere helpless wraiths in thrall of steel nirvana ..

Or, we're bat guano lusting over a 100 + plus year old gun..
    Aceoky and Nmuskier like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links