.45 for CCW???

.45 for CCW???

This is a discussion on .45 for CCW??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've researched .45 caliber guns for CCW and I am about 99% sure I am going to purchase a Glock 30s. I already own ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree142Likes

Thread: .45 for CCW???

.45 for CCW???

So I've researched .45 caliber guns for CCW and I am about 99% sure I am going to purchase a Glock 30s. I already own a couple Ruger 9mm's and of course the obligatory home defense shotgun, but I've always felt that I should have a .45 too. All the online reviews seem to be stellar for the G30S (not SF or plain 30). Thought I'd toss a line out here and see what folks had to say.

I'm bored of Rugers (great guns but I don't want all the same brand), the S&W 9's had a weird trigger to me, and I'm not spending over 1k on a 1911. I can get a G30s for $570. So . . . Glock 30S? Or what do you think?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with any of the Glock line... and most are suitable for EDC duty. The 30s is no exception. Good choice, IMO.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

It splits the difference in weight between the 27 and the 30. If it had been out when I bought my 30 I would have it instead.
    gatorbait51 and Fitch like this.
    Glock 19, Glock 27, Glock 30, Mossberg 500, Ruger 10/22, Savage Hog Hunter, Kahr CM9, Beretta M9

More to follow... Its an addiction

I hope you can find a 30s. I've been looking for months.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    Tough to go wrong with a Glock and .45 acp! Good luck!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

You don't have to spend anywhere near $1K to get a reliable, accurate 1911
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

For the fan of concealed carry who is willing to pack traditionally-sized pistols, the neato thing about the .45 ACP is that a number of guns chambered for it conceal just as handily as the similar 9mm models. That way he can have .45 ACP goodness. And, the .45 ACP is goodness!

All bets are off with shrunken 9mm models. But then they're "only" chambered for the smaller diameter cartridge or maybe the .40 S&W.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Many of us can affirm the capabilities of the .45acp. The choice of manufacturer is up to you. I will say that a 1911 is a little thinner than a Glock but it is not going to make much difference in your carry. I would not even notice the small amount.

Glocks are good guns. I would suggest looking at Baretta with their .45 and it's rotating barrel. S&W makes a really decent 1911 for about $799 in stainless.

But the .45 is a caliber that you cannot go wrong with.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by constablejones View Post
    So I've researched .45 caliber guns for CCW and I am about 99% sure I am going to purchase a Glock 30s. I already own a couple Ruger 9mm's and of course the obligatory home defense shotgun, but I've always felt that I should have a .45 too. All the online reviews seem to be stellar for the G30S (not SF or plain 30). Thought I'd toss a line out here and see what folks had to say.

I'm bored of Rugers (great guns but I don't want all the same brand), the S&W 9's had a weird trigger to me, and I'm not spending over 1k on a 1911. I can get a G30s for $570. So . . . Glock 30S? Or what do you think?
    Constablejones, While your looking at the Glock30S, look at a Glock36, the Glock 36 carries easier. They are both 45acp, and they are nice..

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorflyr View Post
    You don't have to spend anywhere near $1K to get a reliable, accurate 1911
    I know you're right but I have to admit to being bound and determined to make my 1911 a Colt. Yes, I know it's paying more for a name, and I readily admit that. I would get a 1911 more for its historic significance than just simply wanting that model of gun. Some can't understand that but when it comes to 1911's, I only want a Colt, which is going to cost me 1k+ down the road.

Consider the M&P 45c. Great size in a 45 for ccw.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

I don't have one, but I think that Glock 30s is a pretty cool pistol. The story behind the creation of the 30s (LAPD SIS requesting it from Glock) is one of the best gun creation stories I've heard in a long time. Almost like a modern day version of Bill Jordan asking S&W to make the Model 19. If I wasn't already invested pretty heavily in 40 S&W and 10mm Glocks, I'd probably get a 30s myself.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I've been looking for a 30s as well

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You'll love the 30S. The best gun Glock makes this side of the G19. I love mine!

gatorbait51 likes this.

I carry an XDs .45 and a kimber ultra crimson carry. Both are very concealable and have been perfectly reliable of me. I've shot the glock 30 and it is a great gun and smooth and silk action but it is much wider than my xds and I feel it would be harder to conceal with tighter fitting shirts but that's just my take on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51 and oldman45 like this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links