Suggestions for CCW revolver - small hands

This is a discussion on Suggestions for CCW revolver - small hands within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I finally found a semiauto I can comfortably hold in my hand and rack the slide (Sig P238) but I've torn a tendon in my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Suggestions for CCW revolver - small hands

Suggestions for CCW revolver - small hands

I finally found a semiauto I can comfortably hold in my hand and rack the slide (Sig P238) but I've torn a tendon in my left wrist and have to wear a brace hindering my ability to work the slide. We are going to a gun show Nov 9th and since it's a very large one I'd like to skip over things I don't need or aren't interested in. I love my husband's S&W 357 police special but even with the smaller grips it's way too big for CCW on me. I'm only 4'9, 90lbs with small hands. I'm looking for a small revolver and would like some suggestions so I can zero in on what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
    gatorbait51 and Secret Spuk like this.

2. Remove Ads

S&W 638-3 small light weight ability to fire single action if you wish.
    shockwave and gatorbait51 like this.

Ruger LCR or SW Model 60LS (lady smith). The Ladysmith line has smaller grips. Good luck. My wife is still waiting for her Ladysmith to comein (it's backordered). She has shot my LCR and likes it.
    Good luck. Sorry to hear about the wrist.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Will you be able to handle the recoil? You may want to rent one and try it first. If 38 recoil is too much for your wrist, you could always try a LCR 22Mag.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I would recommend a model 36 or a model 60 in .38 only. They look like this:

The LS is the "lady smith" - which is just a model 60 or 36 with "Lady Smith" engraved on one side and the grips shown.

These weigh about 19 ounces and tame the recoil on the .38. You would want a model 60-3 or 60-7 or 36-7. These are all .38 only frames. These models have smooth surfaced triggers. Many early j-frames have serrated triggers that can blister your skin.

You can always get a model 642, which is about 15 ounces, but the recoil is much more noticeable.

Finally, if you want a "magnum" j-frame, which weighs about 23 ounces, you can get a model 60-9, 60-14, or a 640-1.

Here's a 640-1 pro, and you can see how the frame is much heavier, which really tames the .38:

Finally, you can get slightly larger grips on a lady smith or any j-frame to engage your pinky, like this:

Attached Images
    Last edited by PEF; November 1st, 2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: 36-3 --> 60-3
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

My wife is 67 an 115 lbs she loves her 642 she shoots it great an loves shooting it at the range. The key is a good action job an polishing the trigger to a mirror finish an rounding it makes it a joy to shoot. Also use standard pressure short barrel ammo. image.jpg

A steel-framed Smith & Wesson J-Frame might suit you just fine. The aluminum-alloy versions may save weight but they don't hide any better than their steel-framed brethren and they recoil more enthusiastically.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

What Bryan said.

My model 60 is a honey. Chambered for 357, but gets fed 38+Ps. Very comfortable to shoot at the range with standard 38s.

Excellent carry gun, ergos are good for everyone.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

S&W J frame with smaller grips

In your situation I'd recommend a S&W J frame snubby in all steel with wood boot grips. The steel frame will soak up recoil better than an aluminum frame gun. I have two guns like this, a stainless model 60 and a blued model 36.

FlaRon and gatorbait51 like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Any problem with the hammer snagging on things when drawn?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I have carried the S&W 36 and 60 5 shot revolvers (~19 oz) as my off-duty carry for years. My 36 had the tiny wood grip for easy conceal, but added a bit to felt recoil.
    I switched to a Charter Arms .357Mag snubbie (21 oz), with 'bobbed-hammer' to prevent snagging, for 12 years.
    A few years ago, I got a Charter Arms "On-Duty" 5 shot (13 oz) stainless with a 'shrouded hammer' to prevent snagging and allow for SA use if desired, comes with a full rubber cushioned grip & is +P rated. My tiny wife is retired, has a bad RH wrist and can shoot +Ps easy enough, but practices with low-dose range-grade ammo.

She has read some of my Ballistics Texts, from my teaching days, and likes to carry the 70gr, High Velocity rounds by Magtech, which deliver very high ft-lbs energy with minimal weight added. They offer Devastating results with very low recoil. A great alternative to a reduction in caliber.

Taurus makes a good P85-Titanium & Poly-Protector J-frame at 17 oz, +P rated with soft grips, that are great shooters.
    I like the heavier J-frames for the range, but lighter for carry since they will spend 99.99999% of the time just being lugged around.

Most important is to choose something you will not leave home because it is uncomfortable to carry.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Before you buy an airweight anything shoot it first. The recoil may be more than you are bargaining for.The difference to me between shooting a 642 and a 60 has been night or day. I bobbed the hammer on my 60 and I like it even more than before.
    Secret Spuk and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhuffman View Post
    Any problem with the hammer snagging on things when drawn?
    I have no problem drawing from IWB or OWB. One thing you can also do is place your thumb over the hammer while drawing and then move it down to your normal grip when you clear your clothes. This latter draw is very easy to do when pocket carrying.

That being said, I did bob the hammer on one of my 38's just to see if I could do it, and it turned out great.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I would take a LCR over a new aluminum J-frame any day of the week and twice on Sunday's. The all steel J-frames... that's a toss up.
    rammerjammer and gatorbait51 like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhuffman View Post
    I finally found a semiauto I can comfortably hold in my hand and rack the slide (Sig P238) but I've torn a tendon in my left wrist and have to wear a brace hindering my ability to work the slide. We are going to a gun show Nov 9th and since it's a very large one I'd like to skip over things I don't need or aren't interested in. I love my husband's S&W 357 police special but even with the smaller grips it's way too big for CCW on me. I'm only 4'9, 90lbs with small hands. I'm looking for a small revolver and would like some suggestions so I can zero in on what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
    My 5'2" daughter does very well with my Chief's Special .I have a boot grip on it. Down side, speed loaders get stuck. Upside, strips do work . The only mod this one has is a bobbed hammer . Have not smoothed her trigger as yet. Her next gun is a Model 65 with a 3" barrel. Your small hands should handle the round butt smiths easily . Good luck at the Gun Show.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links